October 10th, 2011

American economists win Nobel

Two American economists won the Nobel Prize for economics on Monday for their work studying how changes in government policies or economic shocks affect a nation's economy.

Thomas Sargent, a professor at New York University, and Christopher Sims, a professor at Princeton University, both 68, will share the award and the $1.49 million prize money for the work they do together.

While the global economy has been shaken by a series of shocks and policy responses, Sims said the research that won the award doesn't have any direct solutions for what ails various countries.

But the methods he and Sargent have developed could be used to help guide policymakers, he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Economy
  1. saywhat

@ Philip

you have a point there.
    While doing their good work these Nobel awardees admit that it hardly provides concrete solutions to the economic woes the world faces today.
    So who do we turn to, the likes of Mitt Romney or Perry or Bachmann or Cain or perhaps Gingrich, the aspiring leaders of the Free World?

October 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

That no-bell prize isn't worth a plug nickle. Even Hitler was nominated. And the geneticist who won a Nobel prize for proving that genetics has NOTHING to do with being gay or being a drunkkard? people still believe they were 'born that way'. Who do we turn to? We turn to ourselves as a nation just as we always have. Whatever politicians domestic law or foreign policy that gives US the "right" to free- promiscuity and the "right" to freely raype foreign lands of their natural resources is the one we turn to in 2012. First candidate to run on the platform "free adulterated seyx and more junk cheap imports" wins.

October 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Donna

Leave me alone, Philip.
    Donna has absolutly no interest un unfounded BS, unless a concise citation is given.
    Since you refuse to do that, I can only surmise that you don't have the proper citations for your "research".
    Probably why you won't have anything published; reputable publishers require that, you know.

October 10, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Donna

@philip:

What I do now is none of your business.
    I checked the book out.
    I took it back when it was due.
    That's all you need to know.
    You gave no citation for anything; do you know what a citation even *is*?
    A citation is *not 'Google this' or 'Google that'
    Please leave me alone.

October 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

HOgwash Donna. You are all the time spouting your baseless opinions on news articles that don't contain citations. When I post something that you don't agree with, you personally attack me, and ignore what I post because you are too lazy to google. And get this....in the year that I've known you, you've NEVER asked even one poster here for citations. (not in any of the thousands of posts of yours I've read) Anyone with a brain can see why you get all personal at my posts that aren't personally addressed to you. It's not that you don't agree with them, or you would put-up some kind of arguemnt. It's that you don't LIKE what they say, have no reply, and so either personally attack ME rather than what was posted, or you pull your old 'citation' excuse for not googleing like the rest of US. you've been nipping at my heels ever since I convinced you that abortion was murder and kept at you to post your change of mind. Yer afraid to lose any of the queen's bees who are all pro-deathers.

October 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Dummy. Like I just posted "Hitler nominated for Nobel Peace Prize" without a citation. Anyone with an functional brain who questioned if this was true, would simply google 'nobel hitler' and find dozens of "citations". How stupid do you think we are Donna. sheesh....you and your "citations" excuse are lame. toodles

October 10, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

"Hitler was TIME magazine's 'Man of the Year' " back when American political and corporate leaders were getting filthy rich helping him build his war machine. If you, Donna, or anyone else doubt this, don't waste our time asking for citations. It's faster to simply google 'hitler time man year' than to post your endless mindlessness. Get a freaking clue already. Hagd

October 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Flower

God, what the hell is WRONG with you, Philip? You got all all that out of one post to you?

October 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Flower

Donna, or whoever you're talking to, is right in asking for citations. We don't want to waste time looking through pages and pages of google hits, that is why specific information is asked. She's not alone in wanting this, she's the only one who asked. Why so confrontational? If you already did the searching, why not make it easier on others to verify it? Otherwise, it makes you look like your're making it up, as mindless as you say she is!!!

October 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mad Ole Lady

Stay tuned for more of the Phillip and Donna show. And now we take a commercial break.
    Would be nice for the Dems and Repubs to consider these professor's methods. Worth a try.

October 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

You folks never ask anyone for citations. And you'll never figure this stuff out unless you are willing to do some research. Before 1995, research had to be done reading books and going theu microfilms of old newspapers. Now you have it all at the tips of your fingers, and you STILL want somebody to give it to you. Get off your ass, do several hours of research, then post what you found. And don"t give me that you don't have the time. I see the same people here every time i log on. If you have the time to chat, watch TV for hrs, video games, etc, you have the time to research. I gave you keywords galore and a PC. 100 times more than i had when I started my quest for truth.

October 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

...and it doesn't even bother them about Americans helping Hitler build his war machine and honoring him as they did. Oh my word. Are you all medicated? No wonder it didn't bother you when the US AND Isreal armed another famous madman, Saddam Hussein, even after he had comitted atrocities against hos own citizens just as Hitler had. source: Teicher Affidavit. (the actual web address won't even fit in this box. so you'll hafta google 'teicher affidavit', study it for several hours like I did, then come-back and post what YOU found so i can grill you for ciitations. 🙂 peace out

October 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mad Ole Lady

And all that research you have done has made you angry and bitter. I get it Phillip. I'm not questioning anything you are posting. I just ask you to step back and take some deep breaths and calm down. I just don't want you to stroke out. OK.

October 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@Mad Ole Lady:

My original post:

“…. the methods he and Sargent have developed could be used to help guide policymakers, he said.” Not in *this* country…that would mean policymakers would exhibit some common sense, and we know *that* ain’t happening.

Although they did say that they don't have any direct solutions to what ails various countries, it would still behoove our various policy makers to just *look* at their research...

October 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |