Occupy Wall Street ignites in other cities: 'We want justice'
A sign Monday in Washington's Freedom Plaza expresses the sentiments of protesters.
October 10th, 2011

Occupy Wall Street ignites in other cities: 'We want justice'

The Occupy Wall Street movement, an organic, rolling outcry that blames many of the nation's problems on corporate greed, continued to gain momentum Monday as it entered its fourth week.

Protests were planned for several cities Monday, including Atlanta and Oakland, California, according to activist websites.

Starting in New York and spreading almost daily, protesters have vowed to hunker down, or "occupy" stretches of public property to raise awareness of the myriad economic problems facing young and old Americans.

David Pitman, a protester in Somerville, Alabama, said the movement is not partisan and will remain resilient.  "We refuse to play party games, and we won't re-elect liars and scoundrels," he told CNN in an e-mail Monday. "And we want justice, impartially, (for) the rich AND poor."

Calling themselves the "99%,” demonstrators have sprouted a movement powered by social-networking sites and handwritten posters. Several posts on social-networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter called attention to rallies this week, organizing provisions for food, blankets and the like.

On Monday, the Rev. Al Sharpton broadcast his syndicated radio show in New York’s Zuccotti Park, the epicenter of the protests.

Also, Ben & Jerry’s issued a statement of solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street movement over the weekend, saying, “The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral."

“We realize that Occupy Wall Street is calling for systemic change. We support this call to action and are honored to join in this call to take back our nation and democracy,” the ice cream company, which is known for championing liberal causes, said on its website.

By the numbers

1,326 - The number of cities where Occupy protests were planned as of Monday. Aspen, Colorado; South Bend, Indiana; and Fort Worth, Texas, were among several cities preparing for rallies Monday, according to OccupyTogether.org, an unofficial hub of the movement.

$1.9 million - The amount in overtime pay that the movement has cost the New York City Police Department, NYPD Raymond Kelly told CNN affiliate NY1.

32 - The number of protesters arrested early Monday outside the Iowa Capitol, state public safety department spokeswoman Jessie Lown said. "They did not have a permit," she said, adding that “they still have a right to gather there, sing songs, have picnics whatever. But they have a right to be there until 11 o’ clock, when the park closed and they were warned multiple times.”

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Jobs • New York • U.S.
  1. Mad Ole Lady

And what about retiring from a company? I've witnessed people who work for a company for 15 years and they're laid off, given severance and the company hires new at lower wages to fill their position. Its hard to work up the ladder with the company or get a decent raise anymore. The companies don't want to pay you the higher pay. They just replace you.

October 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mad Ole Lady

Job security went out the window decades ago.

October 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Mad Ole Lady:
    I had a talk with a potential employee today about some tough requirements he had for employment. Obviously I wanted him, but I had to point out that what other employees of mine bring is indispensable, and that if you are not indispensable, you can't demand everything you'd like to have.
    If I could be replaced in a company at a lower salary, I'd negotiate a lower salary before giving up my job.
    I might even have to give up escargots some nights.

October 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm going to sleep now.
    I have to get up long before dawn and do a big day of hard work tomorrow to stay in business.

October 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

You moved across the country to get on a waiting list of which you were unaware?
    Waiting for what?
    Phone first.

October 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

@ Sleepy Joey Islotta-Fraschini,

If you can stay in business another 15 or so years, we'll see how "indispensable" your current employees are then.

October 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I love snails!

October 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Lol.. Some people must, they sell them. Don't know if i could bring myself to

October 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Chris:
    The "indispensable" employee I was using as an example for the applicant will be less indispensable in 15 years.
    What'll I be doing in 15 years? Oh, I forgot–I'll be 130 years old.

October 10, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ leeintulsa:
    You have to try it!
    Go to a good French restaurant and order them, in the shells, with snail butter–the butter is indispensable. It's one of the best things in the world.
    Please try it!

October 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Lee–
    You hold the shell with a clasp they'll bring, and pull the poor thing out of the shell with a small fork.
    Umm!

October 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

I'd be like 'the jerk'. "don't look down, baby. WAITER! There are *snails* on her plate!" lol

one of these days, joey, i will try them. And i will think of you when i do 🙂

October 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Where did everybody go?
    Must have been les escargots...
    Are you all in PETA?

October 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. B W Styles

While occupy wall street has some positive aspects, they are utilizing the wrong weapons. Wall street, and all other businesses, sell goods and services (including CNN). Therefore, they are vulnerable to the common, easy to implement BOYCOTT. EVERY COMPANY HAS A PRODUCT OR CAN BE AFFECTED BY ANOTHER COMPANIES BEING BOYCOTTED. USE THE BOYCOTT AND YOU WILL BE HEARD.

October 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Lee–
    I was in Poland–Warsaw that night, to make a recording. There was very little food in restaurants–the joys of Communism.
    I went to a fancy night club recommended by somebody and ordered fish, which came with a salad on the same plate.
    There was a truly huge worm in the plate, swimming in juice from the fish.
    I cvalled the waiter to send it back, but he said, "no, it's all right, because the worm didn't come out of the fish. The worm was in the salad."

October 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

leeintulsa,
    Good night now, really.
    I'm not at all sleepy, but I've got to force myself or I'll be tired tomorrow.

October 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |