Overheard on CNN.com: Dear NBA: Keep squabbling; you won’t be missed
Not all NBA players make megabucks like LeBron James, respondents noted; some have to get by on the $300k minimum.
October 11th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Dear NBA: Keep squabbling; you won’t be missed

Comment of the morning:

“What do you call canceling the first two weeks of the NBA season? A good start.” - YodarCritch

NBA deadlock continues

Players and management have yet to reach a deal on a new labor agreement. But, CNN.com readers said they’re tired of complaints from people who make millions of dollars. They also said they have plenty of other sports options to fill their time. Some said they wouldn’t mind if the NBA disappeared entirely.

Spiff59 said, “Cancel the whole season as far as I'm concerned. Crying that an average salary of 5 million a year is not enough is disgusting. What? Making a hundred times more than an average American isn't enough?”

stevenabb500 responded, “You try supporting two kids on less than seven million a year! I just can't imagine a family living on ONLY five million a year or something ... eggs and gas are expensive.”

anon123421 responded, “The $5 million or so average salary is a mean average. The median is far less. Just because a few stars are making $30 million does not mean others are making less than 80k.”

But 1121234 responded, “@anon123421. That's not accurate, the bare minimum, the BARE minimum that an NBA player will make is $300K a year. All NBA players make at least that. It's part of their bargaining agreement.”

JohnSteel said, “The NBA season is canceled? Yawn ... I've got baseball playoffs, football and hockey to watch. Come February it will be time to start prepping for March Madness where far better basketball is played than anything the NBA offers.”

NoFreemasons said, “Does it really matter if we ever see another NBA game?”

stevenabb500 said, “Price of an NBA ticket: $100 to $500. Price of playing a game of basketball with my son and some of his friend with the driveway hoop: truly priceless. Count me out guys... my son needs me more.”

Kevin54321 said, “Our values as a human culture are notoriously skewed: each of the recipients of the Nobel prizes this past week get only $1.5 million per prize and have to split it if there is more than one recipient for the prize. Meanwhile, grown men who put a basketball through a hoop for a living are whining about not getting $7 million a year for doing something that has no real impact on human society at large....Where have our values gone?”

WolfsComing responded, “But Nobel prize winners can't dunk and nobody wants to pay for a seat to watch them factor out equations.”

FireStarter7 said, “Nobody watches the NBA regular season anyway. Most don't start watching until Round 2 of the Playoffs. Shorten the season. There are too many regular season games.”

ssn32780 said, “I'd rather watch the WNBA.”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. joseph

Cancel the first two weeks....heck, cancel the whole season!!! Bunch of overpriced (tattooed, sagging shorts, fighting in the stands) kids who are paid huge sums of money to PLAY, I say again PLAY BASKETBALL!!

October 12, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
    • VoipOfReason

...as opposed to the hundreds/thousands of actors & actresses that make twice that much, to play dress up & pretend.

October 12, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • wp

at least those actors/actresses are entertaining

October 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Phil

What differance dose it make how much you pay these idoits; they'll be broke after they retire anyway.

October 12, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • marc

No Phil....it's not nice to hate on those who have it better than you.

October 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Where have you gone, Pete Marovich???

Remember when basketball players only made about twice what the average American made? And, when their careers were over, they got jobs?

Now, these babies make enough money to ruin lives, theirs and others. They waste it away, like the Prodigal Son, and scream and rant and rave for more, more, more.

BRING ON NCAA hoops!!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ryan

NBA is a bunch of overpaid whiners. Ever watch an NBA player do an interview? How uneducated are these people. Uneducated enough to believe they can't support their family on the limited amount of 300k a year upwards to 80+ million dollars. I won't miss the NBA. The refs were awful, the games looked fixed half the time, the players whined and some (not all) sounded like they just escaped a local jail, they seem to blow all their money, games are to long, get some real basketball called the NCAA where players actually play like they want to win instead of crying and complaining about anything. Get a grip.

October 12, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • VoipOfReason

In defense of the NBA, the only reason why college players play, is because of a chance to "make it big". If there is no chance of "making it big", there will be noone playing college ball. Instead, they may actually have to attend class and pass, what a tragedy.

October 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • drowe

you said it all...

October 12, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • marc

If you hate the sport so much how come you don't just change your channel?

October 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. refjon

If your kids play sports ask yourself who they want to be....They want to be that Pro athlete whoever he is thats playing that sport on TV...yes all athletes are overpaid but now we want to complain about it??? definitely not where our heads should be...take money out of the equation for a second....relate it to the miners unions or steel workers or auto workers who strike or are locked out in similar ways....our country is founded on hard work and our athletes however overpaid are hard working talented individuals who are fighting for a cause much like those of everyday workers.. we are all in disagreement with the dispute but at what point does a man lay down and put his pride aside and say "ok, you can decrease my pay and im ok with it"!!! i know im not allowing my boss to do that....what about you??? neither are our athletes! i stand by the priciple and values they are expressing and as a father of two i can only hope that my kids will have the resolve and courage to stand up for themselves and fight any system that tries to take advantage of them!!!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Basketball Fan

All you ever see is people complaining about the players. The billionaire league owners are the ones being greedy pigs. The players have offered to reduce the amount they will receive of Basketball Related Income (BRI) from 57% to 53%. The owners want more. Some owners have even claimed that they cannot turn a profit with a 53-47 split. This claim however has been disputed and I have posted a link below about this. Revenue Sharing which is used in MLB is a possible solution that NBA owners don't want to look into. The owners would simply rather take a larger chunk of the revenue directly from they're employees. I disagree with the owners position so much so that I want the players to demand more than what they were receiving before the cba expired. I do not want to see the NBA return unless it is on the players (workers) terms.

How An NBA Team Makes Money Disappear:

October 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. drowe

Absolutely DO NOT care if any NBA game is played ever again. Do not watch it b/c it's very boring.. BRING ON MARCH MADNESS!!

October 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • marc

You don't watch it, yet you post on here about it?

October 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alec

I dint watch it either, and I'm posting also. It's my interest in this story about greed that interests me, not the awful style of ball and ego that are called the NBA.

October 16, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. marc

Well...The last CBA, (collective bargaining agreement) for a hockey player starts the minimum salary for rookies at $900,000 per year in their first year up to more than a million by the third. How come no ones complaining about how much they are making to play a game. Guess it's a different story when we are talking about rich white men going back a forth on ice huh.

October 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • 65260

Well said, Sir!!

October 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cat

Who cares if the NBA ever plays again? They have extended the season to ridiculous lengths so that it almost goes year-round. It is boring to watch and in NO way has any entertainment value. Maybe if they added moving baskets, random fire hazards or water hazards or some other way to make the game more challenging it would be a different story. But as I see it, if the NBA never comes back it will NOT be a loss.

October 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. snaapz

I earn $49,570 a year. (CAD) – I live a good life and save for yearly trips.

I WOULD HAVE TO WORK ONE HUNDRED YEARS TO EARN WHAT A NBA PLAYER MAKES IN ONE YEAR

I couldn't care less about someone complaining about their salary when they work one year to earn what I earn in 100 years.

GREED

October 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scott

I'm with Marc. Call me weird, but I love NBA basketball and watch my team from the first tip to the last. I can live with preseason and 2 weeks being gone, but will be disappointed if the season is gone too.

October 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Priest

The NBA never made a dime off of me and never will. I can't wait for the day it will free more valuable channels with better programming options.

October 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Basketball Fan

How An NBA Team Makes Money Disappear:

October 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Genius Man

That article actually show's some validity on the owners sense to what people are saying as "cooked books". It appears that the main argument is that they're spreading the purchase price of the team across as an operating loss... how is this not legitmate. If you paid $100 million dollars for a company and you only brought in $50 million in revenue, but had operating costs of $20 million... you would not have a $30 million profit, you'd have $70 million dollar LOSS (if you allocate the $100 million to just one year, which the owners are not doing, but you get the point of my example). This just shows me how ignorant the players association is.

Also, you say that the players have agreed to a 53-47 split... well, the owners agreed to a 50/50 split, so they're not that far off. Also, I think most people don't take into consideration that the players split IS ALL PROFIT TO THEM. The owners split covers all of the expenses of running a team and organization. In this scenario, it's probably more like a 10-40-50 split... 10 to owners, 40 to operating costs, and 50 to player's pockets......

Finally, the owners are the ones putting up all of the financial risk. If the players want to have this "split" then why don't they risk some of their finances to cover the costs of the team? Obviously that would never happen, but the way the players talk, it's almost as if they do. These owners have generally made their money busting their a$$ or coming up with genius/innovative ideas, they're the people that employ America and without these types of individuals we would be in dead water.

October 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

The idea that the payers deserve a 50:50 split of revenue is garbage. 30 teams with 15 man rosters = 450 guys. They assume no risk and invest nothing. We go see the games because of the investment of the league and the brand it has created, and continue watching when individual players leave. I don't care who the players are, no one is going to pay to watch them in a parking lot somewhere. You can argue for closer to a 50:50 split in the NFL, which has 53 man rosters. The number of players involved supports it. But the idea that because two sides are negotiating there should be a 50/50 split is either stupid or union B.S.

October 15, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kyle

Its simple economics that lead to players have these inflated salaries for playing a game. If you disagree with it, make a statement with your wallet...and don't buy tickets.

October 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Slipperyslope

Hmm let me see if I have this straight. One man can make, bare minimum of $300k to play a game, a.. game. This game, in reality does not have any worth other then entertainment and barely. Meanwhile a teacher, who is responsible for teaching the next generation only has a starting salary of roughly $35k. Anyone else see the downward slide of our society?

I know, I know.. What about other sports and actors. It applies to all of it. These so called 'professional' athletes are arguing about no making enough money so they can buy the 50' yacht instead of the 45' one. This at a time when our educational system falls into bankruptcy.

Yep, we got ourselves a great bunch of values.

October 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |