October 12th, 2011

U.S. weighs how to pressure Iran in wake of alleged plot

With many sanctions already in place, the U.S. government is poised to take an even stronger stance Wednesday against Iran amid allegations that Tehran was behind a plot to assassinate a Saudi envoy on U.S. soil.

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, called carrying out such a scheme an "act of war" five times during a five-minute CNN interview.

While outlining several other steps that Washington may take, he insisted that no options be ruled out.

"We should not be ... automatically saying we're not going to have military action," King said Tuesday night, claiming that this "flagrant and notorious" alleged plot brought already testy relations between the United States and Iran to a "very precipitous level."

"Everything should be left on the table when you are talking about a potential attack (in) the United States, an act of war."

Mohammad Khazaee, Iran's permanent representative to the United Nations, told CNN Tuesday night that he was "shocked to hear such a big lie."

He claimed the chain of events outlined by U.S. authorities was an "insult to the common sense" of people everywhere.

A senior U.S. defense official said Tuesday that there has been no change in U.S. military posture in reaction to the alleged terror plot.

No U.S. Navy ships, for example, have been repositioned and there currently are no plans to do so.

"The act is already done," the official said, noting the plot purportedly has been disrupted and calling it "much more of a law enforcement matter" than a military one.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iran • Politics • Saudi Arabia • U.S. • World
  1. joe d

okay time too stop and think remember the young lady who claimed that the iraqs where killing babies in Kuwait , or the weapons of mass destruction, the folk behind the Bush bunch are still here not good wake up u.s.

October 12, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. JohnWV

Iran rivals Israel in Mideast hegemony and deters its aggression. Successful war with Iran would further the Israeli expansionist agenda. Both Iran and Israel are pariah states with ICBM nukes and scary religious control. Israel's overwhelming media, financial and political control of our country will focus, by persuasion and subterfuge, on involving us in a horrendously different Mideast war.

October 12, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. michaelfury

Was this not "an act of war", Mr. King?

October 12, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mercenary

Look – I am not suggesting the USA declare war on Iran as I am quite certain the USA government's financial situation would not allow us to move forward. However, the best course of action, in my opinion, deploy a highly skilled mercenary team, one that is comparable to let's say the US Navy SEAL Team 6 or the Israeli Mossad. Send them to Tehran, Iran to take out Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and all the other radical islamic clerics / terrorists, after which, the world will be rid of these nut jobs, and then we can all celebrate.

October 12, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Heather

Navy seal team 6 is not "a mercenary team". Mercenaries are hired soldiers, Navy seals are members of our military.

October 12, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Cult of Personality

@ Heather – I think you need to learn how to read. Mercenary did not imply that Navy SEAL Team 6 was a Mercenary Team, rather, "COMPARABLE" to Navy SEAL Team 6. There's a big difference. If you do not know what "comparable" means, look it up.

October 12, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • joe d

jerk

October 17, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. cdub

Let the Saudi's deal with this. We caught Iran with their hand in Saudi's cookie jar so its up to the Saudi's to punish them in whatever term they see fit. As for what we can do, we can just back the Saudi's decision. They won't go to war, that is a given. So let them huff and puff and blow some steam because that is all that will come out of this.

October 12, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Heather

I know exactly what Obama will do! He will threaten to raise taxes on any Iranians who make more then $200,000 a year! That will show them whose boss!

If that doesn't work, he will give them money for green jobs. They are doomed!

He wanted to force them to listen to him make a speech, but the UN decided that would be considered a crime against humanity, so that is off the table............

October 12, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. More Praised

If I was recently decided to not vote in the upcoming election...I am definitive about voting against Obama now. This derivative media machine maneuver, if pursued, will create thousands of more "terrorists" and 1/2 billion more enemies in the developing world.

This is an example of a superpower that overestimates their cunning and underestimates their peoples' intelligence (hard to do). The prior equation only has many possible outcomes, but only 1 definitive...a more rapid descent into mediocrity for a once great nation.

The US is not just broke, lacking in common sense, morally duplicitous, exceedingly arrogant, but now add doomed to fall by the way side of history as the new Ottoman Empire for the 21st century.

Obama: You are too stupid to get out of your own way. Here's a reality check. The entire Middle East hates doubly as much as they were capable of hating Bush II. You were the wolf in sheep's clothing, while Bush II was the retard in retard's clothing. And worst of all you turned out to be stupider than him.

October 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mohammad Farooqui

It is one more fabrication of event to justify aggression. I remember earlier Iraq foreign minister saying in BBC that Bush and Tony Blair were lying , I could nor believe him since I thought it was not possible. But now I know they were lying and fabricating attack

October 13, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lina

Dani, all I can say is Thank you! I marked my enacadlr during the call, and I wanted to cry. I have a full time job, so I was getting ready to excuse myself-until I saw how much time I spend on my business on the weekends and how little time I spend on God and my family. That changed the next day! I made out a schedule that I am more comfortable with, and this also includes time set aside to listen to your training calls. I have already noticed a difference. I thank you, and my family thanks you!

March 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |