BlackBerry users irate about outage
A popular tweet making the rounds online today again focuses on Apple's dominance over the BlackBerry brand.
October 13th, 2011

BlackBerry users irate about outage

[Updated at 10:41 a.m. ET] Research in Motion says BlackBerry service is fully restored globally after its worst-ever outage, CNNMoney.com reports.

The president of BlackBerry's parent company apologized Thursday for the device's worldwide service outage, and said service levels are improving in many areas.

"I apologize for the service outages this week," said Mike Lazaridis, who is also the founder and co-CEO of Research in Motion, in a videotaped message on the company's website . "We've let many of you down. But let me assure you that we're working around the clock to fix this."

It's a problem RIM can't win, Fortune reported.

But that hasn't satisfied many irritated users.

And naturally, when you take away the ability for tapped in people to communicate, they will find a way to communicate their anger about it - loudly. So many BlackBerry users have taken to one of the technological democratic forums, Twitter, to share their grievances.

Here's a quick glance at what some BlackBerry users have been saying:

A lot of the chatter has focused on users threatening to ditch their BlackBerry phones for other competitors.

Some joked that their long relationship with the company, was turning into such a bad experience it was like having a fight with their significant other that appeared to be leaning towards a break-up.

Some focused on how their device was completely unusable without data capabilities.

And there's also been one really popular joke that continues being passed around:

One of the hot topics aside from general bickering appears to be Apple fans throwing the outage in the face of Research in Motion. Some people are suggesting the timing could be particularly bad for Research in Motion, which has held a big advantage over the iPhone because of their BBM messaging service.  With the new Apple operating system set to release today, iPhone subscribers will get iMessage, Apple's answer to BBM.

Others said they didn't plan on paying their bill because of the lengthy service outages.

Some users, who have experienced these kind of outages before, lamented about when the problem might be fixed.

And many people who rely on BlackBerry phones as their work phone struggled to be able to access e-mails or get their work done. Even a news reporter for @NBCLA who appears to be covering the Conrad Murray trial expressed frustration with the service.

And perhaps in the ultimate clue of frustration, many users were sharing the link http://isblackberrystillbroken.com/. Many commented that the fact that the website existed was reason enough to ditch the phone.

In case you were curious, the site looks like this as of 10:00 a.m ET on Thursday:

And then finally, after service was restored, the site gave the green light to users:

1. Derek

Yesterday morning I wasn't receiving any emails but then I took the battery out of my Blackberry Curve, restarted it, & now am getting emails. But some apps aren't updating or working such as my AP news app which hasn't updated since Oct. 10. The phone part seems to be working for now as is IMs.

October 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ED

That's why I got rid of my blackberry earlier this year and bought an iphone.

My BB 9000 wasn't fit to shine my iphone's shoes.

BB sux Apple Rules. RIP Steve Jobs :[

October 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Cellphone addicts are sad, sad creatures.

October 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. suzanne

If they weren't already dead I think they have now killed themselves. I know I am ready to switch now. Very sad, a good company that didn't recognize things change and are not prepared.

October 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. blackberryunhappy

I've been having problems all day and now it's down completely. Don't think my next phone will be a Blackberry.

October 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clyde

A wonderful event! Perhaps the addicted- afflicted may be forced to do something truly radical like have a face to face conversation or forgo another unnecessary, probably inane, conversation.

October 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

Blackberry device make me very bored, I ditched a year ago for Droid, Thank goodness.

October 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

LOL...the device cant make you bored, the device merely supplies your over-stimulated, ADD brain with distraction from your boring and insufferable life you must live.

October 13, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Blackberrypocalypse

You can checkin on Foursquare to the Blackberrypocalypse!!

4sq.com/r3nxjC

October 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. You can smell it

Sounds like a lot of whining going on. Mine doesn't work but I'm not going to cry about it.

October 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sharon

The reason why this happens is that there is HIGH SOLAR FLARES AND GEOMAGNETIC PROBLEMS affecting phone coverage. This should cease very soon. I live in Miami and have had no problems. Also, Hunter Moon is on the way. All these things affect cell phones and the earth.

October 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meko

You're completely out of the loop on this one my friend. It's known that a core switch died in one of RIMM's EU datacenters which caused this. The built-in failover did not work. However, service has since been restored and mail is up. There's just a massive backlog now so everything is spewing out slowly.

Solar flares ... go back to Miami.

October 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laura

I love my blackberry and keeps me in touch with my entire family overseas...too much drama going on...when you have a problem is not the problem what matters is how quick you can resolve it...lets wait....ummmmm does the launch of the new i phone 4g android something might have something to do with this? ummmm...just wondering....

October 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MrMufasa

Oh no! Whatever will you poor people do without your Blackberry??? I know. I know. It must be tough to not be able to walk down the street blathering about your narcissistic self and narrowly averting disaster for you and everyone else in a 100 foot radius as you text your way down the street. My god. Who cares???? Do you really think you're that special? Get over it, and while you're at it, get a life. Think about doing something good for the world instead of creating body pollution as you text your way through throngs of like-minded imbeciles, and noise pollution as your scream in fury about not being able to talk to anyone and everyone at any moment in the day about things that don't matter or can wait until you actually see someone face to face. We are a nation of soft, pampered, whining, annoying narcissists. You've hijacked this country. Ugh.

October 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael in Houston

let me guess...you live in a barn in Montana

October 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

They do remind me of 'hugh' on the episode, I, Borg. They miss the voices.. They've lost the collective..

October 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tammie

Why do I find it so amusing when technology fails...I am even a Blackberry user and still sit back and chuckle. Oh that's right....because I was brought up in a world that taught people to have a back-up plan not a smart phone!!!

October 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carlos

this is the revange of SJ's

October 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Carlos

IPHONE is the way to go, I have a business trip and I need my email and BBM," Whatsapp" I will get the Iphone so I can be connected.

October 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bob

Oh my god!!! What did we do with our lives before cell phones!?!?! Get over it!! What would we ever do if we didn't have cell phones? Oh wait, that was just a few decades ago....

October 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Right? Some of these people are really sad....their brains are so messed up (short attention span, no focus, constantly distracted) by the constant consumption of blurbs of dis-information (latest viral video, youtube hit, game or other unimportant thing) that they couldnt possibly function without the phone to tell them where to go or what to do or what to say.

Dependence on technology for everything is woeful and leads to the young we have today...self-centered, overly dependent, irrelevant, and surprisingly, generally uninformed individuals.

October 13, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |