Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I am a white Republican who voted enthusiastically for Obama. I shall again.
    BTW, I had long hoped to vote for Colin Powell as the first African-American president.
    I would not vote for Herman Cain.
    I really won't care if the next president has pink and green stripes, as long as he does a good job.

October 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Good afternoon, JIF.

While I knew that you were going to vote for Obama again, I didn't know that you did the first time around.
    I agree with you; it matters not to me what color a person is, it's what he says that's important...
    I have always voted that way, and I always will.

October 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I voted for Obama joyfully the first time.
    I have voted for only one other Democratic presidential candidate, who also won. All the rest were Republicans.
    At 115 years of age, I can't remember who the other Democrat was, but think it had something to do with fearing atomic bombs...probably right after Lincoln passed...did they ever find out who shot him?

October 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tif31

I hope everyone will see fit to keep President Obama for another four years. Considering the congress that he has had to work with, he's done an amazing job. Now if we can just get a congress in there that knows and practices compromise, we may finally get our country back on track.

October 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I think that Obama became better at working across the aisle when he became more centrist after the landslide of Republicans into the House.
    Almost everybody in DC needs to study collaboration. Maybe they should take a class in chamber music...say, at Howard University.

October 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. How our economy will be on track soon.

1.) The CIA, after finishing with Iran and Venezuela, (the two last occupation-worthy nations on earth) will turn their attention towords fraudulent Americans, using the same tactics that fraudulent americans have been approving for use on other peoples. Many Americans will be wishing they had had a foot in their mouth when this does occur. It's very basic reasoning...if it's OK for the CIA to "do it" to 'them', then it's OK for the CIA to "do it" to them that approved their tactics. 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Hi Joey. I did 'see' your favorite diamonds with my minds eye. Did you get a chance to see mine?

October 14, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. How our economy will be on-track soon. Pg. 2

2.) In order for the CIA to investigate US citizens whose fraudulent activities have overwhelmed the FBI, two things must occur. One, laws banning the CIA from operating on domestic citizens must be overturned, and two, a more central location to base the CIA's domestic affairs div. must be found. (cont)

October 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. How our economy will be on-track soon. Pg. 3

3.) The "Victory Act" has already been written, and will make-way for the CIA to begin tracking-down, interrogating, and having arrested domestic citizens who have been defrauding not only Uncle Sam, but each other. Example: when you claim disability but are not really disabled, it would be difficult for our existing law-enforcement program to prove that you are a fraudster. But the CIA has been keeping track of every single keyed entry you have ever made on your PC since or before 1998. (citaion? google 'microsoft NSA key') Many of you will soon be wishing you had opted for Apple operating systems, no doubt.

October 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. How our economy will be on-track soon. Pg. 4

4.) And as mentioned above, the CIA would naturally want a centralized location for their domestic affairs division. This step was done years ago without YOU even knowing that the CIA even had a domestic unit! The CIA's Domestic Affairs Division is in Denver now, and has been for several years. (citation? google 'cia moves to denver')

October 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Palmer

Those aren't citations.....those are keywords.............do you know the difference?

October 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini. G.G.

Philip,
    I've seen oil wells pumping, but I've never examined your drills.
    The next time we check for bubbling crude in the yard, I'll check out your diamonds.
    Do you know how to identify synthetic gem-quality diamonds?
    Can you separate Asha gems? (Easy.)
    Sorry. I never had an oil well.
    Next incarnation.
    That was what you drilled for, wasn't it?
    Philip, BTW, I want to ask you to be more respectful of banasy. She's a lady.
    Please.

October 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

Ok Joey. But keep in mind that Donna and I were good friends long before you began posting here. It was when I began posting about how pharmaceuticals make US fat (along with Congress approving meat and dairy ranchers illegal use of sterroids and hormones) that she turned on me. Her and I were FB friends even, and she knew that I had been to her FB many many times and had seen the pics of her daughters she has posted there. But after turning on me, she began calling me an "pervert" for looking at the two mugshots of her girls she had placed on her FB. (shrug) And you really should see "The world's most highly engineered piece of metal", a diamond drill bit. And 'yes' to your question is oil what we drill for. We also drill for Ng, and in Germany where they have no oil/Ng to drill for, we drill into barren sand formations where Germans store Ng when prices are low for use when prices rise. (cont)

October 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Palmer

So.......that gives you the right to disrespect her now?

October 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WOT

I am a Black Plantation owner with not a plantation mind! And that is what I call my place in Alabama! Let us all hope Cain's 999 plan does not turn into the 666 plan for us when the Congress get hold of it! God BE with you Mr. Cain!

October 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini. G.G.

Thank you for that, Philip.

October 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

...you see, in the US our laws allow us to use toxic mud that contaminates the aquifer. But in Germany, it is illegal. And so the German government contracts individuals such as myself to be consultants specializing in drilling with non-toxic inert ingredients. There are situations that arise requiring the use of toxic chemicals, however in Germany, every last drop of water used during an drilling operation is passed through giant centrifuges, with the solid waste being reclaimed. The lefotover water is still contaminated, but is all reclaimed at the cost of 45 dollars per bbl. (about 1 dollar per gallon) Here in the USA, when we are done drilling the toxic waste is dumped into a plastic-lined earthen pit, and mixed with dry dirt until it becomes thick enough to dry-out very quickly. No, not to protect the aquifer, for it has already been contaminated during drilling ops. It is to keep livestock and other animals from drowning in it. 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |