Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

If anybody wants the status quo, all they have to do is to vote for this cursed Obama. Herman Cain will only give us more of the same if elected to the Presidency. He said that he doesn't know how to spell the word "quit", he apparently doesn't know how to spell the word "peace" either!

October 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini. G.G.

Obviously not JIF at 7:11.

October 14, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

*Sigh*
    There you go again, Philip.
    You disrespected them again by calling their pictures "mug shots".
    And I called you a pervert after you started calling myself and my children w*h*o*r*e*s.
    Commenting on their appearance.
    Inferring nasty things about my home life.
    Seeming to take great joy in doing so.
    And, no, you have only comment on my FB maybe a handful of times, although I suspect that you were lurking their many, many times.
    Always after deleting yourself, of course.
    We are not friends anymore, and JIF knows that.
    I am sure JIF has been following this whole debacle all along, and has come to his own conclusions.
    I asked you repeatedly not to bring my name up again.
    You keep doing so.
    Why?

@JIF:
    Hello.
    I'm not sure anymore who shot AL; some say an actor by the name of John Wilkes Booth, but there has been come conspiracy theories and controversy surrounding that.
    Perhaps you can look in your mum's diary; wasn't she alive then?
    Let us know, won't you?

October 14, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

He called your kids WHAT? Man, that's nervy, pervy!

October 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    You clearly know that business very well.
    Thank you for the lesson, and I understand the overtones concerning USA laws.

October 14, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@JIF:

By the way, thank you for calling me a lady.
    It was appreciated.
    True gentlemen do not hardly exist anymore; my husband is one.
    You are another.

October 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Joey? Do you really believe that governments control the federal reserves that control economies the world over? Surely you noticed that the US gov "stimulated" our economy by donating 580 bil. dollars to the huge banks, while the Fed dumped some 3 trillion dollars on the open market. It's not Obama nor is it congress who determines the activities of the Fed located in the US any more than the EU's governments determine what the Fed located in Europe does. One single bank in Basel Switzerland controls the world's federal reserves. Really...thought you knew. 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Oops.

Commenting
    There

Tired today.
    Packing up some books at work.

October 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, banasy.
    My mother left notes about a guy named Mudd, but my nurses–RNs, at that–here at the home never heard of him.
    I think that a woman named Payne was involved, or something...they've mashed my food, so it's time to eat.

October 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    Sounds great.
    I'd like to have a piece of a bank like that! 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Banasy? I called them "mug shots" so that everyone here would know that they were simply pictures of their faces. You are really grabbing at straws now. You began called me a "pervert" for ever having seen pictures of your girls faces AFTER I disclosed what I know concerning what has been making US fatter and dumber...NAZI pharmaceuticals. (even aspirin was first developed in Germany, and has played a major role in heart disease becoming the no. 1 killer of Americans...which I will explain in great detail soon.) And of course I know of ancient Greeks who used the bark of a certain tree containing aspisrin's active ingredient. Ancient Greeks used to build temples to false God's on top of ground where natural gasses escape the earth to drug-down their flock too. But my 'anout aspirin' will begin in the late 1800s when Freidrich Bayer developed aspirin powder and began distributing it to physicians. It's a really cool story that took me years to pc. together. The pharmakia men hide out in the open.

October 14, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

Cain didn't become a front runner until people started pointing out that he was the GOP-TP token! I read it on several blogs! Suddenly his # are sky rocketing & he went from near last place to near the top! Don't tell me that's not a bit of partyline pandering! Also don't tell me they want Obama out just because he's a Democrat! They made the man show his birthcertificate! That's like asking a Freeman for his freedom papers in the 19th century! An abomination! Trust me when I say no black or woman will get the prez nomination from the GOP-TP! They can try whatever kind of subterfuge they want, I don't buy it & neither do the OWS! It will be Perry or Romney & neither can stand up to Obama!!

October 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

You apparently aren't a conservative, because you don't understand how their minds work. Conservatives don't vote for who they love, they vote for who they believe the most competent. Now I know that might be hard for a liberal to understand, since you like to vote on credentials and potentials and pipe dreams of utopia within our reach; we, on the other hand, like proven results in the real world. Herman Cain is rising because he has accomplished much in the arenas where conservatives respect success, and he did it without the advantage of Romney's family money, which we respect even more. We follow those who lead, who are not afraid to take the point, not those who can talk about leading from behind. Decisiveness is a virtue, leadership is a virtue. Chris Matthews of MSNRacebaitingTV said he believes democrats fall in love, and republicans fall in line. We respect achievement, fernace, and even if Herman Cain ultimately does not win the nomination, it will be because he has never held elected office, and and may get picked apart by Romney's professional political team due to his lack of ground game and organization. But the fact is, his is a real story, a story that comes out every few cycles in the GOP: an outsider who has pulled himself by his bootstraps and made something of himself, which is a story we respect. Think Ross Perot or Steve Forbes (even though he didn't make his own money) This time he just happens to be black. I guess in the liberal world, you think no one must have noticed that yet, which is the only way to explain the fact that he currently leads in the polls. But yet, instead of rallying around him, dems and many black dems especially, reserve hateful comments for him. Who is holding him back? Its not republicans, its his own people! But you think its a false flag; a deception, a mass coordinated conspiracy to build him just to tear him down, right? Coordinated by Karl Rove across many states and many polls. Its just not credible, Fernace. The Dems race baiting illusion grows dimmer every day, and I can tell by your reaction you were trying to convince yourself that the story you've been told is real, but you know deep down its not. Just let the illusion clear up, fernace, most conservatives are just hard working people who want others to be the same. With the exception of some ignorant people, they don't care if its a black man, a yellow man or red man in the white house, as long as he earned it, and as long as he is taking care of business. They got problems just like you and me, and they just want the economy working. I am sorry you feel the way you do, because as long as your mind is closed to the possibility that there are a great many conservatives who look beyond race to the content of one's character, there is no way we get past race as an issue. Democrats have sold you a bill of goods; I would look carefully at what you got for the price you continue to pay by getting your politics from only one vendor.

October 15, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    How many manuscript pages have you written about Bayer, Farben, et al?
    I've had many yummy dinners on drug reps because I have MD friends, and we get taken to destination restaurants here to "discuss" treatment and prescription choices.

October 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, fernace.
    I think you're probably right about my R party and color, but maybe not.
    Things change with necessity, and time will change everything.

October 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Fill us in on these dates.
    Now, is that a SON of Friedrich Bayer who started selling powdered aspirin to physicians?
    Friedrich Bayer, who started that company, died in 1880.

October 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    Refreshing my memory from your 7:40 post...in the late 1880s, Friedrich Bayer, in order to sell aspirin, after becoming deceased in 1880...
    Oh. He slept in a casket filled with dirt from the Carpathian Mountains.

October 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |