Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. chrissy

hey banasy, the protests here today was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! No violence so far and far more organized than i anticipated. And they have support and backing of city officials and police which was quite surprising! 🙂 and psst, if u ignore an attention

October 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@Joey...I've tried to reply several times. Hang-on, I'm home and firing-up my PC.

October 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

If that is what you were referring to, okay, I apologize.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I am not, however grasping at straws.
    I will continue to respond to you to answer your baseless assertions, because failing to do so would be doing a disservice to me and mine.

Oh,and no, Philip, I called you a pervert because you made disparaging remarks about their bodies, not because of nazi Germany and drugs.
    So you are wrong again.
    I think it was perhaps AFTER you said that I had been drugging myself and my children for years, and you can tell that by one look at FB pictures, along with your ridiculous notions that we are all abused, based on the same pictures.
    I remind you that you have never seen me.
    I can, of course, re-post the entire thread, but why?

It's well known here that you are against pharms.
    Your assertions about Nazis and drugging down of germany came well after my discontinuing our friendship.

Don't bring me up again.

October 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

hound, they soon get bored and move on! Classic OCD behavior especially when enhanced with alcohol. lol

October 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm just kidding you, Philip!
    I really don't care about aspirin, or about what Bayer-Farben may or may not have done after 1880.

October 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

good, Joey. I'm having trouble posting my recollections of how aspirin went from never being heard of to being the number 2 most used invention ever, right behind the PC that ranked number one in a 1996 MIT 'study of inventions'. I was also going to note that NAZI diamond miners gave free aspirin to their slaves, and that right after the great depression, it was "discovered" that aspirin relieves rheumatism aka aches and pains. The avg. African develops heart disease by the age of 65...the avg. American, 75. Africa has been taking aspirin longer than we have. But alas, you aren't interested...eyt. he he

October 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

These aren't even facts...they"re recollections? No wonder you won't give your sources...you don't have any! They're just stuff you've read in the past...no wonder yu get stuff wrong so much! LMAO! Jeez, poor banasy/Donna...no wonder she has to tell you over and over about the things you've said...you forget everything. LORD....

October 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ geoff on banasys behalf i have heard him say those things about her children more than once. Just wait the evening is still young.

October 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

I never saw their bodies Donna...only their faces. A face shows the soul, makeup hides it. And just for your info, the same men who developed modern pharmakia also developed cheap perfume that confuses a mans emotions. The rich use French parfum to avoid this. French parfum is distilled in stainless steele containers for a specified amount of time, by law. Cheap American perfumes are distilled in whatever and for however long, for we have no laws restricting the use of plant fragarance to confuse men here in the USA.

October 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unknown Poster

I have seen you repeatedly refer to one of her daughter"s tatoos. I am assuming she isn't Mike Tyson.

October 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

And who here has never been trolled? Assigning a post to a specific person without knowing that person well is a bit bodacious. Chrissy? You hardly know me at all, yet how many times have you accused me of being a drunkkard? I used to drink a lot when I was younger...virtually everyone working in the oilfield back then did. The last time I was drunk was 1994. Believe it or not, I simply do not care for the opinions spouted by those with contempt prior to investigation. I hope those recently replaced brakes wear-out on your pickup truck one day, and I'm the only one around to fix them for you. 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

Shall I give you the dates you were drunk on this board? Because I could probably look them up for you...and that sounded like you want chrissy's brakes to fail....please stop pretending you know anything at all about the myriad of subjects you are frequently wrong about....and that icludes the people that you insult and then deny doing it...are you indenial? Sounds like it. Takr responsibilty for your words, put on your big-boy pants, and apologize. For all that you claim you known how about the words "I'm sorry?"

October 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

who here can post an explanation about what is being protested about RATHER than focusing on the protesters themselves? Anyone? Why are Americans so angry at Wall Street?

October 14, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unknown Poster

You want to know? Do the same thing you tell banasy all the time....Google it!

October 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Unknown:
    Lol, no.
    No tattoos on her face.

@Philip:
    Hogwash. You have referred to my daughter's tattoos on several occasions.
    You have commented on their bodies several times.
    If your sorry, apologize.
    but do not, *do not* try to blame trolls for your behavior.
    Because *it* *was* *you* that said these things.
    YOU.

October 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

@"unkown poster"...I was referring to her daughter bragging about her tatoos on her FB page. I have never seen them with my own eyes, but when someone claims to have tattoos, why woudn't I take their word for it, especially after seeing her face w/black makeup? Would you doubt her word on this?

October 14, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

I have followed these boards for a long time. I have seen all your posts. You are frequently mistaken about things, and in particular, this poor woman and her children. I have never seen you apologize, even when you were blatently wrong, even when things were pointed out to you as mistakes. Why is that?

October 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

yes you sure have one thing right, although we used to be friends i DID NOT know the real you until recently! But as usual you are trying to put the troll spin on your poor lack of judgement. And you yourself have told most of us you were drunk! No excuse

October 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Donna, your one daughter's head is almost as big as a pumpkin. And as I just said, I was referring your other daughters foul-mouthed description of her own tattos on FB. Shall I copy/paste them here? I would have to censor them, and even then, CNN censors would find something i missed. So stop accusing me of looking at them. I've seen pictures of their faces, and I've read one of their own descriptions of tattoos. Now pls, lets stop addressing ea. other all together. I give up. You win. buh bye now. 🙁

October 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

and i wouldnt want you anywhere near me or my truck! youre nothing less than a bully and totally disrespectful of women in general and banasy in particular!

October 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |