Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. chrissy

sorry banasy i couldnt help it girl! I know hes goading me and i should ignore him but when it comes to my friends and their children its a whole dif thing.

October 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Donna

Yes. Copy and paste them. Right now.
    I want to see them... And why did you save them?
    That's a little disturbing.
    And my younger daughter's head isn't large as a pumpkin. Do post that, too, will you?

You have addressed me over and over today, said nasty things, and ALL of it was unwarranted.
    Would you like me to post the picture of YOU that you sent me?
    The one showing your Charlie Manson eyes?

Leave me alone.
    You addressed me first.
    Do NOT forget that, once again, you attacked me first. Again. And attacked my children. Again.

October 14, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Wow!
    I missed all that, having a pleasant life at home, and now it's sleepy time.
    Maybe I should pop a couple of aspirin in case I get a headache from worrying about the vibes on the board.
    Gute Nacht.

October 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

I'll bet YOU could give us a citation!

October 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Donna

@Philip:

I think you are confused.
    My older daughter has tatoos.
    My younger daughter occasionally wears eyeliner.
    Anmd you are confused, philip. Very confused.

October 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

@ mike palmer, you wouldnt happen to be from michigan would you?

October 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

As if this board has a breathalyzer or a way to test blood for alcohol content. I do still drink from time-to-time, and for the same good reason the Apostle Paul recommened Timothy do the same in his letter to Timothy found in the bible. Barren old women were standing-up in the church and giving Timothy the what-for while Paul was away on one of his missionary tours. Think I'll have a swig of Jim Beam and call it a day. gn ladies. C-ya round Joey. And where's Cesar? Anyone know?

October 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Oh boy here we go, now hes bringin religion into his drinking rational! And not many posts ago he said he hadnt drank since 1994!!

October 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Paul

Uh oh...every time you bring me up, I know you're on the way to a bender...

October 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

@Unkown Poster...as if you know Donna Banas or know anything other than what you've read here about her and her offspring. AND as if you've read all of my posts. Get a clue, you suffer from contempt prior to investigation, and it shows bigtime. (and even an PC savvy youngster knows that books need citations, online, a few keywords will find you all the citations in the world. If you don't believe what posted about I posted, say, about the CIA moving to Denver, why would you even want to goto a citation I posted as if you would be satisfied with my source? Just google 'cia moves to denver' and find one of your own sources backing-up what I posted. sheesh already and *faceprune*

October 14, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

Sir, I have been on these blogs for 2 years or longer. I know that your name is Philip Eugene Douglas, I know that you reside in Colorado Springs, and if I look back into the archives, I can get your e-mail and your phone number. I know that you continually attack Donna, and as Ive followed these boards a lonfg time, I know you are wrong about her, which she has repeatedly pointed out to you. I do not suffer from contempt prior to investigation, and I know that the CIA moved to Denver, I am from the DC area. It was also in the papers. It is a normal thing to ask onefor citations, don't take it personlly. The fact that you do tells me that you're not sure of your own "facts" What I do see is that you have attacked chrissy and banasy/Donna Banas many times, and never apologized once, even when you were proven wrong. You don't know them either, apparently, because even when they set you straight, you say they are in "denial". See? I've been here longer than you, Phillip, so please, and I've read everything you and banasy and chrissy have written. Start being a better man, instead of a bitter one. Your upbringing has given you no right to keep hurting with your personal vendettas. Oh, now I know that next you will say to focus on the message, not the messanger, but it's hard to do when you keep defaming preople over and over. God help you, sir, because you are the one who needs the clue. Donna Banas is a fine woman. chrissy from Detroit is a fine woman. Lay of them, willya?

October 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul

@chrissy...he said he hasn't gotten drunk since 1994. Another lie. Stay tuned! Hekll be ripping on you and banasy again!

October 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

Hello everyone of my blog friends here ,both democrat,republican and independent, I hope you all are doing well 🙂

October 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. s kel

I decided not to post anything political ,just a heartfelt love for my fellow americans, im tired of the deviceness sometimes.

October 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Oh dont i already know paul! Lol ty 2 those dayum nazis 4 introducing those pharmaceutical drugs 2 us or i might be tempted 2 jump in my truck & teach this pud some manners. Heres ur sign philip...U no ur a j..Azz when u talk smack about children!

October 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

and unknown poster? those big boy pants u referred too? u meant pull ups right? lol

October 14, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unkown Poster

I meant Depends, chrissy.

October 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

See people like unknown and myelf from DC area know things.......watch out people,lol

October 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |