Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. chrissy

lmao ur freakin awesome unknown poster ty

October 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Unknown Poster

More than some people dream of, s kel.

October 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

Hey I applied for DEA and my mom worked for DIA off of 295 near Bolling AFB across anocostia river from Navy Yard. I had access to a lot of places,it was cool.

October 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

Retired now, I kinda miss it.

October 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

hey s kel? whatever did you find out about mackinaw island and christmas? ive been meaning to ask you but have had alot on my mind lately. im gonna be near there at christmas myself.

October 14, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Hey, s kel, my dear.
    How are you?

October 14, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

I know someone in the DEA.
    He tell my husband and I a lot of strange things...some of the stuff he tells us are almost unbelievable.
    My lips are sealed, of course.

October 14, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tony In Largo

Mr Cain , don't get dressed, because you're not going to be invited to the big dance !! I wish you would though just to see the margin that President Obama would defeat you by.

October 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Hey crissy, we are looking online for a place on mackinaw for Christmas , were still lookin. Hey Bansay how r u. And My interview at DEA was wierd, I wish i had taken that position,oh well.

October 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@s kel:
    I think you were needed elsewhere for a different purpose...being a first responder for the pentagon.
    And for that, I'm kind of glad you didn't take that job...you were meant for a higher purpose, luv.

October 14, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@ s kel, I'm alright.
    If you've read this thread tonight, you've seen I can hold my own. 😉

October 14, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bigwilliestyles

Must the rest of us suffer through a personal spat? Facebook (FB) is for the personal stuff. Meanwhile, back at the ranch...Herman Cain's delusions continue. @ those who insist on talking about the old republican party: I know a guy who was a fantastic narcotics cop (decorated) until it was discovered that he was robbing banks in another state. Do you think it matters to his victims that he USED to be a cop? The republican party USED to work and vote in the interests of not only Blacks, but the country as a whole. THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. Please do not expect Blacks to focus on what was, as opposed to what is.

October 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

oh tea rific now we gotta play the racist game too? im goin to bed this is to much in one day gnite banasy, s kel and unknown. very nice makin ur acquaintance and ur still awesome. s kel maybe try frankenmuth hun its beautiful there and mrs kel will luvit

October 14, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. s kel

Thank u @Bansay, I guess your rightI did have a good carrer.

October 15, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

ok........ She fell asleep lookin at Ghost Adventures, lol......an shes snorring,lol

October 15, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |