Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear
The more inflammatory Herman Cain's statements are, the more his numbers climb, LZ Granderson says.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cain talks the talk they like to hear

Comments of the Day:

"For many conservatives like myself, one's ethnicity is not an issue. It's what the candidate believes that counts."–Adam B. Embry

"So long, Herman! From viable candidate to race-baiter to footnote in a few short weeks."–MrsNeutron

Is Herman Cain a straight-talking businessman whom Republicans can love or a race baiter? CNN political reporter Shannon Travis writes that he "is the first African-American to have a real shot at becoming the Republican presidential nominee. So why isn't his ethnicity as much a part of his story as it was with Obama?"

CNN.com readers argued over whether race was really a non-issue with Republicans, or - as columnist LZ Granderson suggests - Cain is simply able to say what some are thinking.

TRENDING: Cain's race not as big an issue with conservatives as Obama's was three years ago

Cain rises by slamming race

Gotta Be Kiddin said, "Actually, Colin Powell was the first African American who had a real shot at the Republican nomination. I'm not quite sure what Herman Cain is."

JLH said, "Travis's entire article is offensive, as it operates on the premise that conservatives are racist. I tried to find some means of statistics to support this supposition contained within the article, but none found."

Jonathan said, "I love Herman Cain. He's intelligent, driven, and a successful picture of American accomplishment. I'm also glad he has garnered so much Tea Party support, helping to disprove liberal allegations of Tea Party racism."

johnbeer said, "Obama's race was never an issue with Republicans. Remember, Republicans voted in higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 than did the Democrats. Lincoln freed the slaves. What Republicans object to is that Obama is trying to destroy America with his socialistic policies."

GaryB said, "I don't care what race Cain may be. What I don't like is that his 9-9-9 plan would by most estimations would put even more of our country's money into the hands of a wealthy few while raising net taxes on a whole lot of working Americans and make the deficit worse. Hard to see how this helps our country, unless, of course, you're already part of the upper class."

Lost in Texas FOREVER said, "I live in the REDDEST state in the union, plenty of far-right conservatives down here. If you talk the talk they like to hear they couldn't care less what color you are."

Andy Botwin said, "Cain's philosophy that poverty is a result of laziness fits right in with decades of Republican ideology. Of course they embrace him. He's part of the 'all fates are deserved' mantra."

40acres said, "He is the only candidate I hear lumping all blacks (at least the blue ones) into a single category and labeling them as brainwashed and racist. I believe he did the same thing with Muslims. It almost seems he's being a little racist or very exclusionary, or both. Maybe that's what the Republicans like about him.

jhunt007 said, "Mr. Cain is a politician and LZ's suggestion that he is picking on poor black folks is wrong. He is calling out the corrupt culture of victimization that is passed from one generation to the next."

YummyYemmy said, "I am a black man who refuses to play that victim game. I have experienced racism in both my professional and personal life. Instead of complaining I just move on. I refuse to accept that any single individual or group can prevent me from reaching my destination in life. Anyone that says that 'as a black person there is nothing in our society preventing you from achieving success' is at the least delusional."

rdarkchild said, "I'm a black male without party affiliation. Many black people know men like Herman Cain who believe that all the stereotypes about people of color that dominate the conservative mindset are not whispered about them when they are not present. Herman, you are an accomplished man. How can you be so easily fooled?"

1. chrissy

lmfao for goodness sake s kel, some things are just sacred ya know? lol but i wont tell on you and for the record many women snore lol. have a good one & i may be back. insomnia strikes me alot lately. & unknown again ty. gnite donna & dope dopey dog lol

October 15, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |

P is for psycho
    H is for hypocrite
    I is for ignorant
    L is for lunatic
    I is for incorrect
    P is for pubescent

With a multiple personality disorder as he has several screen names.

October 15, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. heywood jablome

Bigwilliestiles, shut up...these people are just defending themselves, and as you can see, fb is what started that dude's obsession in the first place, you racist mf. Why don't you just crawl back under your bridge, you hater! You're just as bad aas the people you are railing against! Yawanna know, this stuff has been more interesting that the crap you're always saying anyway. 'Oh, cnn is censoring me"! Whattaloadofcrap. Shut UP!

October 15, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

lmao @ school marm good one

October 15, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Richard Crainium

@Crissy,Whats up with Phillip ?He says the same thing all the time .Is he crazy? Or does he just get trolled all the time?

October 15, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

and ty heywood lol

October 15, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Richard Crainium

@Crissy, do you still have the problem living with the drunk? I have not heard you say anything about him lately.

October 15, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. talulah

Interesting that he talks about not being a victim but is using a set up where he gets victimized and says, "see what they're doing to me," and of course, he's thrown the first blows. Good job Herman Koon.

October 15, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. LibsLieAlways

Let the liberal truly racist divisive comments commence! ! Your false messiah his evicition notice is coming in 2012 back to flatlander Chi-Town the union thuggism captiol of corruption..............Herman Cain a breath of fresh air and 100% successful African American instead of half black possibly muslim raised by a white marxist woman lying lawyer. Herman Cain you go get some brother..........God's speed and CNN editiorial staff will be a cryin in 12 months........

October 15, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. LibsLieAlways

Democrats and the Mao loving crowd at cnn will be a crying in twelve months when PinocchiObama loses to the first black president of hte united states Herman cain........or at least 100% black not like Obama half black raised by a white marxist woman hawaii.

October 15, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

hi richard and no philip does NOT get trolled. Thats his regular excuse when he gets called out on his drunken rants and attacks. And yea unfortunately my living arrangement hasnt changed yet which is why i find it hard to deal with philip too.

October 15, 2011 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

and libsliealways sounds as tho you swing pretty high on the racist side yourself?

October 15, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. bigwilliestyles

Well I'm off to work. Wouldn't want to hold myself back so I can blame it on non-existent racism. Herman Cain is a joke, a clown and a token. Huey P Newton, Tom Hayden or George L Jackson would stand a better chance of receiving the republican nomination. Stop with the 'we've changed' bs. Like republican cons are not trying to restructure voting regulations and procedures as we speak just to exclude portions of the population from voting. Puh-lease. We are not fooled by your tap dancing jester.

October 15, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. casual observer

You forgot to call Philip a racist. How did you all miss that one?

October 15, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |