Overheard on CNN.com: Get money out of politics
Protesters in the Occupy Wall Street movement rally in downtown Manhattan.
October 14th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Get money out of politics

Exchange of the Day:

"The root of the problem is mega-corporations buying members of Congress to rig capitalism in their favor." - blue175

"I totally agree. Lobbying is legalized bribery." - str8ridah

What will victory look like for Occupy Wall Street?

The Occupy Wall Street movement is still quite young, but writes political commentator Sally Kohn, "my sense is that the ultimate demand could be a radical reform to get money out of politics," including public financing of elections and a constitutional amendment removing the status of corporations as "people." Many CNN.com readers agreed that money was polluting the process.

NocommentCNN asked, "Why are my elected representatives representing corporate interest before the interests of individual freedom and liberty that this country was founded for?"

MrSteiny said, "I consider myself a pretty far-right-leaning individual. I believe in the protection of property rights and that includes one's money. But one thing I think that most Americans (Democrat or Republican) can agree on is that money in politics is a poor idea. I'm not talking about paychecks. I think the men and women chosen to set and monitor the laws and policies of this country should be compensated fairly. I'm talking about lobbying, which really is more like bribing."

mlmilewicz said, "Liberal or conservative, most of the money behind political campaigns come from the corporate sector. I'm hoping this movement will encourage targeted support for political candidates who 'Just Say No' to corporate campaign support."

DApppp said, "Probably 90% or more of our elected representatives are part of that 1%. The change these people want is controlled more by Washington, D.C., than the banks and corporate America."

CactusThorn said, "If one of their goals is indeed to get money out of politics, it's one I support 100%. Accomplishing that should get Congress and the president out of the posturing mode and into a meaningful legislative mode that includes bipartisionship and compromise."

jsnholloway said, "We have a political system that favors those with money. The system is rigged. The super-rich and the multinational corporations have a louder voice in our democracy because they are the ones who finance the billion dollar campaigns. They are the ones whom the politicians placate. This is wrong. It results in monetary policy that puts even more money in the pockets of these folks. I don't blame rich people; I blame the system they are freely allowed to exploit. 'Victory' will come in stages. Stage 1: Raise awareness."

leftyavenger said, "Victory looks like a universal health care system for America. Victory looks like all the troops pulled out of the Middle Eastern oil baron wars and an end to borrowing $4 billion a week from China to do it. Victory looks like big pay cuts in CEO and executive pay and raises for all workers. Victory looks like creating green sustainable energy within the USA. Victory looks like a defeat for everyone who supports opposition to stated goals above."

Do you feel your views align with those of these commenters? Post a comment below or sound off on video.

1. banasy©

@workingstill:
    Can I get there on my mobile? I have a blackberry.

October 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • workingstill

You will have to remove the space between the "." and "com", sorry for any confusion.

October 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. workingstill

lol, if your blackberry has service, I don;t see why not. It's here on CNN. If you are here on your blackberry, there should be no different. Thanks! look forward to hearing/reading your input!

October 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. No Tea for Me Please

So you think you're nice and safe in a wealthy gated community?

Our society is more brittle than you might think. Thanks to our hideous war on drugs (which adds to our debt in itself) our prisons are literally overflowing. They can barely keep the riots under control now. Things could get nasty in a flash if the movement were usurped. Could a movement like this be the spark?

Don't expect our military to save your family. They're in the same disillusioned generation that is leading this movement. They're facing the same unemployment, foreclosures and financial nightmares.

Things could flare up quickly thanks to internet media and technology. Think about that tonight while you're safe in bed, behind some flimsy gate.

October 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

I agree things could go ugly but more like riots than a revolution................ definitely bricks through some windows though!

October 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evan

I can honestly say I don't feel like there is a single government official in office that represents me and my views. When they are representing the corporations guess who gets ignored... Well wait... How much cash do ya got??

October 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Have you seen the intelligence and diversity of the Occupiers? These are NOT naive street people, easilly swayed; no one is going to 'usurp' this crowd!

October 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tif31

Basically this breaks down to the hopes that all this posturing will work on the consience of the 1%. Sadly, these 1% have no conscience when it comes to us little people. As long as they have theirs, it's all good to them. So in the long run, this is doing nothing but falling on deaf ears.

October 14, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corbs

You need to get a spine, dude. You have a voice. You recognize there is a problem you should do something about it. Go to a protest. How can you say this is falling on deaf ears? The movement has already sparked a national debate that didn't exist 3 weeks ago. PEOPLE can change their governments. Look at Libya, Ghadaffi was screaming he was in control all the way up to the point that rebels kicked in the doors to his home and forced him to flee. People in power will rarely give it up easily, but THE PEOPLE CAN TAKE IT FROM THEM. We've seen countless examples of this in the Arab Spring movement history just does not support your position that there is nothing the average American can do to improve their situation.

October 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

There was a post on another board from a Trader who described the people at the top of the financial food chain as totally amoral and apolitical, utterly uncaring about anything not related to aquisition. Good to know our government is owned by such nice folks!

October 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JW

where were the occupy wall st protest while I got my az handed to me by american businesses over the last 35 yrs? I friggin got PTSD .... just hearing the word FEE can f,,,k up my whole day, and, unfortunately I'm not kidding,
    when the banks were folding It was the happiest day in 30 years, ... heres what I know, representative government failed, so now what?
    well it just takes 3 little fixes, 1, outlaw lobbying with stiff penaltys
    2, outlaw riders to bills, each vote is for a seperate bill
    3. give the pres. the line item veto

October 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@workingstill:
    Thank you.
    I will check it out.

October 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. darkstarr

More near than you know is your day of reconsiliation. Time to fall.

October 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. patriot

I am angry at the law makers that created the laws allowing corporate lobbying. But I am also angry that it is taking
    citizens so long to protest what is fundamentally wrong with the system. God help this movement of fairness and keep
    it growing to the point change must come for the better. Wake up America and take our country back!

October 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Corbs

If you don't share in the frustrations of OWS, you are either a member of the 1%, or completely oblivious to all the money that has been stolen from you...

October 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kris

CNN is so biased for these protests. I have read more comment against the protests than for it, but CNN picks and chooses what side they want to represent. A little note to CNN: Your goal of making it seem like everyone is for OWS is ridiculous and silly. However, seeing that since George Soros helps fund CNN, it doesn't really surprise me.

October 14, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. a disgrace

its time to occupy Washington and remove obama from office.14,000,000 on unemployment countless millions more foreclosed on and a incredible 46,000,000!!!!!!! americans are collecting food stamps

October 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • workingstill

You are confused. There was a 7.2% unemployment rate in December of 2008. Just because you don't know who to blame doesn't mean you have to blame the only one you know. Get a grip, get a book, educate yourself, please. If you are going to vote, please make decisions based on fact not talking points.

October 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. James

The rich against the poor is genecide this is the new way to elimenate people off the earth by starving us to death, the world is over populated the government is afraid to tell us because it will cause people to panic they do not want that to happen so they let the big corporations do the unthinkable take food from our mouth,roofs from over our heads just die,what they are telling us.

October 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Geoboy

Well ....

I here all this talk about politicians and corporations, lobbyist . Bla bla
    bla.

BUT will people VOTE on election day for the candidate that has a real plan that
    helps the American people out of this living hell or will they FORGET those in
    Washington that blatantly did and do everything in their power to HURT US!

IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN YOU ARE DEFINITELY CAUSING THE PROBLEM.

V. O. T. E.
    GeoBoy

October 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Geoboy

IF WE AS APEOPLE DON'T VOTE WE ARE DOOOOOMED, THEY SIGNED A LETTER SAYING THAT THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH THE PRESIDENT.

AND WE SAID NOTHING, WE WILL REEAP WHAT WE SOW .... V. O. T. E.

October 14, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Geoboy

Anyone that thinks that voting is a joke, just look at the republicans and how they vote.

Make no mistake voting does make a differents, why do you think politicians shake in there boots when they see a large group of angry people on the otherside of how the politician voted.

WE WIN ... V. O. T. E.