October 15th, 2011

Murdoch heckled by Occupy protesters

News Corp.’s Rupert Murdoch was repeatedly interrupted by hecklers while delivering the keynote address at the National Summit on Education in San Francisco on Friday, CNN affiliate KGO reported.

"Resist corporate domination of public education!" one heckler said, according to KGO.

Video of the event shows others in attendance cheering as the protesters were removed.

KGO reported that the activists are a part of US Uncut, a group against cuts to public services. The group claims Murdoch is trying to make money from public education.

The interruptions came shortly after Murdoch said, “"We need to tear down an education system designed for the 19th century and replace it with one suited for the 21st," KGO reported.

Murdoch has been an object of scorn since revelations surfaced in July that journalists working for the News of the World had hacked into the cell phone of a missing girl, deleting some of her messages to make room for more. The deletion of messages gave 13-year-old Milly Dowler's family hope that she was still alive when she was already dead.

Filed under: Occupy Wall Street
  1. RealPolitik

Yes, we need a "21st Century" educational system...one that unshackles human beings from the impractical critical thought, analytical thinking, learning world history and differing ideological viewpoints, and have it replaced with a pragmatic drone-programming curriculum whose goal is to create millions of mindless robots who simply serve as cogs in a machine run by Satan's reps like Murdoch, while his media conglomerates tell them what to think, feel and buy. Evil has a face.

October 16, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. FreedomJoe

hahahaha this was priceless God bless the 99% and for u msm zombies wake up
    This is not a political party thing its a american thing
    Hell i use to be a tea party member before it got hijacked and screwed up by the 1% hahah its actually funny that u guys lie so much on main stream media i bet u wont show one of the founding membersof the tea party openly supporting the occupy movement on rt news
    The 1% wont get away with the hell they have put on the american people ... and to all who read this the truth is out there look it up ! make your self aware and learn the truth instead of lies the msm trys to push on the american people

October 16, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • FreeLuv

Right on! Saw one of the founders of TP warning not to let political parties take over.

October 16, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
    • MJ

The economy is not working because of government policies, including Wall Street bailouts, which this administration supports. Why is the OWS not in Washington DC, where the economy is planned and controlled? Oh that's right– this protest movement is politically motivated. At least the tea party had blinders on in terms of whom it disparages (not anymore, though, it's been hijacked by a political party).

I'd support their movement if they disparaged the corruption, in terms of legislation, regulation, bailouts, subsidies, etc, that only Wall Street has access -because- of politicians like Obama and Bush, but this movement is not against corruption– just against a political party.

October 16, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Les

@MJ

FYI: Occupy has spread to 1000 cities, including D.C.

October 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. terry beaton

Murdoch is a horror of a human being. Why anyone should find him fit to speak in such a capacity is more than a little disturbing to me. When people such as him are accepted and honored in our society it tells me we are already on the way down. Watching Foxnews is like peering into the restless sub-concious mind of a sociopath. It all fits together inside some primal urge.

October 16, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • nas

ALMOST agree with what you have posted.

Beg to differ when you refer to Murdoch as 'human' he appears to be a cross between a psychopathic gorilla and a sadistic chimpanzee.

Explains why that sadistic psychopath; George W Bush liked Fox News & the laughable rubbish that they spew out.
      Sort of; BIRDS OF A FEATHER,

October 16, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Murdoch and his Propaganda Channel –FOX– are akin to Hitler and Goebbels Nazi Propaganda machine ! Murdoch is not a human being !

October 16, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. John Brown

Murdoch wants to buy all US Education system and he wants to educate our young ones like Fox educates the right every single day!

He sounds like Hitler now! lol

October 16, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
    • mdmooser

True True John Brown. Some people actually think FOX News is real news. American citizens open honesty should not be allowed to be manipulated and twisted the way FOX. In case you don't understand let me clear it up you are being lied to and misled everyday on FOX. Get your news from a variety of sources then compare. Can you be so narrow minded that you think what you believe on FOX is the only true source of truth. Come on Americans, wake up.

October 16, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Les

The GOP and ev(il)angelicans all march to the tune of the fascist mantra which is, "Repeat a lie often enough and everyone will believe it -Herr G."

October 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jannani

Shameless Murdoch.

October 16, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ari

He should just die.

October 16, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Top.Ten

Lets rate the Occupy Wall Street Protests by city from Best to Worst. I'll start.
    1.Rome

October 16, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
    • mdmooser

Violence is not number one! As american citizens we have the power to say where our money goes and we have the power to crumble corporate America. If you want change, establish buying points that support public growth and don't buy anywhere else the rest will follow. Without sleeping "sheep" to prey on corporate greed will not have a dropoff point for our money under a 10 or 20 per cent discount sign, wake up what your buying, where you buy it and what will happen in the future.

October 16, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. martins whale

Somemadrepubsareblindtosee.Thisnotacaseorstrugglebtw2partiesmitisbeingfairtotheworldenmasse

October 16, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. W.G.

Murdoch like his EVIL CREATION Fox News has lost all credibility . Please murdoch PLEASE , crawl back under your rock and stay there and drag fox news along with you , you creep !

October 16, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Marc

It was written many years ago that the people of America would rise up against the money cahngers and revolt against thier rule and this is just the beginning of that time. For all the rullers beware for your time is short.

October 16, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. hahaney

The 1 percent are the ones that fund the tea party.

October 16, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

I'm really sick of hearing the "get a job, stop asking for free hand outs" mantra! I have been looking for a fulltime job for 2 (count them) years now! I'm in Perry's "miracle state" where he' proud of saying how he's provided all the jobs...except they're all parttime/temp/ min.wage& there's actually a hiring freeze on govt. jobs! I'm doing the 1s I qualify for, but ends are barely meeting! Why in the world would a whole nation of people sit in a park or wander on a sidewalk holding posters if they were gainfully employed or could be! Watch, Listen,Learn! This country & the world is hurting! We can't get jobs that pay a Living Wage! No1 can work 24/7 but even that would not cut it in many cases! I'm Lucky to only have myself to provide for, many have kids & have to supplement with foodpantries! This in the Richest Nation on the Planet, as we're so fond of saying!Yes, we will ask for the services we have religiously payed for throu our paychecks! That is what they are there for! They're needed now!!

October 16, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gem

This is one of the most corrupt human beings this day and age. If you get a chance, read the Rolling Stones article on the Murdoch Scandals. He is a criminal and should be serving some time for some of his actions.

October 16, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bob

This is a classic corporation against corporation slander story, whats new, this has been going on since the beginning of "civil" people. No surprise, The only surprise to me is that we are all still mucking around in the mess of it instead of coming above and realizing how inconsequential it all is in light of real everyday individual existence.

October 16, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. sum it up

So...I'm an independent. I took a risk and started a new company 2 years ago. I'm in debt beyond belief. I work my ass off, get about 3 hours of sleep a night, am stressed out of my mind and stuggle to keep my family going. I have employees (in America btw) that I pay well. They don't miss a check while I barely get by. Things a finally starting to turn the corner. I probably have another 5 years of this until I'll be able to take a vacation and pay off my debt.
    Now I ask you OWS supporters. When after all my sacrifices and hard work I finally acheived my goal of making a lot of money, you want to drag me through the street? You want me to give even more of myself to you?
    Get up, get a clear vision and pursue your dreams. You can do anything you want if you are willing to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices. You might even have to miss a few parties, or concerts or whatever. You might actually have to spend only what you have instead of putting the new iphone on your cc. How about how good it will feel when you actually pay off your cc on your own?
    Just saying...stop blaming everyone else, get motivated and believe in yourselves!

October 16, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I don't even believe this story. I think you wrote this just to make a point. If you did start a business, you had money to begin with (probably from family or inheritance.). Because based on your financial assessment (deeply in debt), no bank would have loaned you the money during the past couple of years in this current environment.

October 16, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • bob

so you started a company (i did too) and youre struggling (me too! i have a 2 year old boy i care for full time, while working from home, and employing 3 americans) i sleep about 3 hours a day myself, and never have any hopes of being able to take a vacation.

so we have that, right? we're both relatively successful, and reasonably fortunate considering the economic turmoil going on around us, right?

SO WHAT THE HECK DOES OUR SUCCESS HAVE TO DO WITH HOLDING WALL STREET ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR THEFT OF 1.6 TRILLION IN TAXPAYER FUNDS TO BAIL OUT THEIR MONUMENTOUS GAMBLING PONZI SCHEME?

oh i get it, we work hard, and we are successful, and we better just bury our hands and ignore the fact that there are people out there making trillions off stealing from ALL OF US because of the fact that its relatively smooth sailing for you and i , cause we work hard, right? DO YOU EVEN LISTEN TO THE CRAP YOU SPEW?

no, wall street and the 1% need to start paying the same tax rate as you and i do. they need to start pulling their own weight in this country as far as the mutual suffering through these difficult times is concerned. they got us here, main street didnt, and suggesting that they should not be held accountable for their unethical, immoral, and downright criminal behavior shows that you are just a shill for them. own it.

hey 53% – youre all fools, 100% of you.

October 16, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • bob

oh p.s. i started my business without the help of ANY banks, credit or anything else.. i repair small electronics and work from home. i used money from my job as a line cook to invest in small batches of parts, used those to repair smartphones for people (<3 u apple, thank you for creating my niche market in this economy, you have saved my family) got paid, reinvested, paid bills etc etc. no debt, no credit, nothing.

October 16, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |