Aruban court denies U.S. suspect's request to be released from jail
October 17th, 2011

Aruban court denies U.S. suspect's request to be released from jail

An Aruban court has denied American Gary Giordano's request to be released from jail, a spokeswoman for Aruban prosecutors said Monday.

Giordano, who is being held in connection with the disappearance of traveling companion Robyn Gardner, 35, was taken into custody August 5 at the airport in Aruba as he waited for a flight back to the United States. He has been held for 70 days.

Giordano has maintained the pair went snorkeling behind the Nanki Country Club on the southern end of the island and that Gardner vanished in the water as he returned to shore. Authorities say Giordano was the beneficiary of a $1.5 million accidental death insurance policy on Gardner, taken out just days before their trip.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Aruba • Crime
  1. banasy©

Good.
    Do NOT let this man leave until the whereabouts of this woman is established.

October 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • yada

I sure agree with you, Banasy. That life insurance policy has a "fishy" ring to it! Also, perhaps the authorities in Aruba aren't so willing to be in a big rush this time. ?

October 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

banasy, what's going on today? I read a story, think of something I want to say, go down to the comments and you've already said it. Then I'm stuck with the choice of agreeing with you (baahh baahh), saying something lame, or nothing at all. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining. I just think it's weird.

October 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

I do have one unique thing. For some reason this dude looks familiar.

October 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Bimbo the Birthday Clown:

Great minds think alike.
    You usually beat *me* to it...I usually have to say something like, "I agree, BtBC", which makes me sound like I don't have an original thought in my head.
    Which is kinda true, if everyone is thinking the same thing...
    I'll stick to great minds think alike.

October 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

BtBC:
    Baaa baaa.
    He does.

October 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzz

Ok, That would be any person with a logical mind that would come to that conclusion, well said to all, but lets if you anyone agrees if the following could be true as well.
    lets say that it was someone else taking out that life insurance policy, posing as this guy
    Then lets say someone else was *lurking* around the waters at the time of this womens disappearence, subsequently killing her.

would this be a possibility to anyone here?

October 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

If he actually denied taking out the life insurance policy your wild speculation might have some basis in reality. He did not deny it so why would you say this?

October 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

Because she's MARY! Hey, MARY, how are you? Where's Donna's surprise? ummmmmm? Satan's little minion....speaking of which, call me. It's been too long. Don't be a stranger! Mua ha ha ha ha ha!

October 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzz

rather "let's see if anyone of you agrees" sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you guys with my horrific sentences today

October 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

You confuse us with your horrific sentences EVERYDAY! It"s what dumb people do.

October 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. yada

Anything is possible, Jazzzzzzz. I just hope the truth comes out.

October 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

You'll never be smart, we all know this. Stop trying.

October 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

Meant for Mary. Sorry.

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzz

Oh yes, the money!
    Well that may be Revenge that is worth more to the person... IE: Killing the wormen to frame this guy for something he did to someone else in his past.
    Never, alot of crazy things go on in this world
    John Grisham is still the MAN tho 🙂

October 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

Let Grisham do the ploting. You suck at it.

October 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzz

I know Yada, anything IS
    Remember 12 Angrey men ?
    EXECELLENT movie 🙂

October 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Maybe. I don't know. My big question would be how well did they know each other, what sorts of plans did they have. You don't just get a life insurance policy because you love someone, you would hate to lose them, etc. It is a practical thing. You are living in the same house, sharing expenses, and if one or the other of you dies you can carry on financially. Getting a policy when they are both single is fishy to say the least.

October 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nancy

OJ did it.

October 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Goodpoint

That's a good point.

October 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sylvia

I am beginning to have a little faith in the Aruban justice system. If only they could have kept that monster Joran vander Sloot behind bars for the murder of Natalee Holloway, the other murders (including the murder of the young Peruvian girl) that this brute committed, could have been prevented.

October 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Arctic

I don't know, maybe I'm different. But the insurance doesn't sound so off beat to me. Before I got married and I took dive trips with friends we would always get those AD & Travel Insurance Policies just for the trip. You know the type. $50 for a million dollar policy that was only good for a week or two. We usually put each others names on the policy.

I need a lot more information before I can make an informed assumption. At this point the question is if they don't have enough evidence to take him to trial, how long should they hold him. Obviously, 70 days. But 6 months, a year, longer. When does he get convicted just because without evidence.

October 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeffro

Did Giordano reciprocate financial prudence by purchasing a policy on his own life, naming someone in Gardner's family as the beneficiary? No? And why not, I ask? Was it because he knew he was coming home? The stinkin' little muckworm has an air of guilt about him...let's see if the Aruban authorities know what they're doing this time around...

October 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |