Aruban court denies U.S. suspect's request to be released from jail
October 17th, 2011

Aruban court denies U.S. suspect's request to be released from jail

An Aruban court has denied American Gary Giordano's request to be released from jail, a spokeswoman for Aruban prosecutors said Monday.

Giordano, who is being held in connection with the disappearance of traveling companion Robyn Gardner, 35, was taken into custody August 5 at the airport in Aruba as he waited for a flight back to the United States. He has been held for 70 days.

Giordano has maintained the pair went snorkeling behind the Nanki Country Club on the southern end of the island and that Gardner vanished in the water as he returned to shore. Authorities say Giordano was the beneficiary of a $1.5 million accidental death insurance policy on Gardner, taken out just days before their trip.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Aruba • Crime
  1. Donna

Arctic: They weren't married. Heck, she may not have known he took out this policy. If I recall correctly they met on a dating site. She supposedly has a boyfriend back home. Fishy is an understatement in this case. I hope they keep him until they find out what really happened to this gal.

October 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • daftshadow

They can't keep him forever and with the Aruba justice, I do not put much faith into them ever solving this case.

October 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hinterarsch

The only way to get the truth out of this guy is waterboarding. No kidding. He knows what happened as teh only person. SO, to get the truth he needs to be subjected to pain until he is willing to admit the truth.

October 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

From what I understand, they had not known each other for very long.
    I agree with Jeffro: it would be a different story if they took out policies naming each other as bennies.
    I understand Arctic's position; but I would assume that everyone in your group has known each other for years.
    I also have to question where her body is, if she is in fact dead.
    Perhaps they cooked up this scheme together to fake her death; I don't know.
    But I sure would like to know....

October 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • dad21dawg

they had known each other for about a year according to what I recall.......they met on adultfriendfinder, which in itself has a shady past......

October 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@dad21dawg:
    Yes, I remember that, too, but I wonder if it was a online/text kind of thing, and how long they knew each other face-to-face...
    I mean, one can talk to somebody for a year online, but does anybody really *know* another person until they can look into the other's eyes?
    It's moot, anyway; I just wonder what happened to her.

October 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I'm sorry, 'adultfriendfinder' just sounds weird to me...

October 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Wierder than facebook? Isn't that what people look at to try to find the guy that stole their purse? Lol

October 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I agree, daftshadow, they will have to come up with something to keep him there.
    Look what happened when they let another suspect out of their custody, though; he went on to kill another.
    Fortunately, they've good ole Joran dead to rights now, unfortunately, another girl had to die.

October 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Penny252

Her friends say that she would never go snorkeling....never wanted to mess up her makeup. So, the questions I would ask Giordano would be....1)where did she get the snorkeling gear? 2)last seen she was with you wearing a colorful long dress coming out of a restaurant...if she went snorkeling with you....where did she put the dress? 3)Are you telling us that she went swimming with that dress ON and the current carried her out to sea? 4) You always wear a toupee..and seem like the kind of guy who wouldn't want a woman to see you bald...yet you went swimming? 5)where did you get the snorkeling gear? 6)how did you kill her? 7)You have been to Aruba many times...did you have a grave already dug? 8)What tips did Van der Sloot give you on how to dispose of a body? 9) Has anyone ever seen you without your toupee on...except for the police? 10)show us where her shoes ,pocketbook and jewelry were left.11)are you telling us that she went snorkeling wearing her shoes instead of fins? 11)how many other women have you killed in your life?

October 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. trappekid

How can you hold somebody for murder when you don't have a body? I realize they had an insurance policy, but if that is there only evidence and I was the judge I would throw it out of court!!!!!

October 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. leeintulsa

Has he tried saying 'pretty' please?

October 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

LIFE INSURENCE ALONE SOUNDS FISHY. IF SHE DIDNT LIKE TO GET WET WHY GO TO ARUBA? AND SHE HAD A BOY FRIEND AT HOME, IM NOT THE ONLY PERSON TO THINK SHE IS A HIGH DOLLAR PROS TAT UTE HAHA CENSORS!

October 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzz

Now we know who is seeking war instead of peace
    Bye for real now
    Crazy people

October 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jeff

I agree with you Drakorex. She barely knew this guy, reportedly only met him 2 or 3 times for a short while. Then goes off on a trip with him. I wonder how much she charges or used to charge?

October 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nate

If she wouldnt of had the gross tattooes she would be fairly cute. Bleched blond hair and nice big fake zoomers. Good tan. Slim body. Plus reportedly before the incident she was walking around in public in a micro bikini and high heels. She really sounded like a fun girl. A little old at 30 something but still a fun girl to take on a short vacation. Just as long as you dont catch an STD from her.

October 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. elmoe

BTW she was not wearing a colorful dress at the restaurant. According to Nancy Grace she was dining at the little restaurant while wearing a micro bikini and high heels. HUBBA HUBBA !

October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penny252

Hate to burst your bubble......I saw the video of them leaving the restaurant in question the day she disappeared ....she was wearing a long dress.Nice try though, Mr.Giordano Sr.

October 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yung lee

wooo it sounds like an insurance scam. big time.

October 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. leeintulsa

If she was a professional, he'd be the one missing.. I know there are lots of dead ho jokes, and it's not unusual for them to get beat up.. But most i've known, if push comes to shove, a dude's gettin' slit..

People i know from the bar. Can't afford hos.. But treat most people like..people..

October 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |