Stranded American researcher rescued from South Pole
This photo dated October 2002 shows an aerial view of US Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in Antarctica where Renee-Nicole Douceur has been stranded.
October 17th, 2011
04:46 AM ET

Stranded American researcher rescued from South Pole

After weeks of waiting, an American researcher who suffered a suspected stroke while working in the South Pole flew out Monday.

Renee-Nicole Douceur, 58, had been stranded at the Amundsen-Scott research station in Antarctica since she fell ill on August 27. She had been unable to leave to receive treatment, due to bad weather and storms that prevent planes from landing during the region's winter period.

The website reported Sunday that Douceur will depart from the South Pole on a cargo flight.

On Monday, CNN affiliate TVNZ said she boarded a U.S. Air Force cargo plane.

The New Hampshire woman will first go to McMurdo Station in Antarctica and then to Christchurch, New Zealand, later this week.

Last week, Douceur told CNN she had been pleading for a rescue evacuation flight since her initial stroke but her request was denied.

Raytheon Polar Services - the company that runs the station for the National Science Foundation - deemed it too dangerous to send an air rescue crew in, she said.

"While I was devastated that I had a stroke, it was like, oh, my God, it just stymied me...and I cried," Douceur said. " I just didn't know what to do and the doctors basically told me, just go back to my room.".

Raytheon Polar Services told CNN that Douceur's station has a well-trained medical staff that can provide all levels of medical for employees.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Weather • World
soundoff (4 Responses)
  1. michaelfury

    "Raytheon Polar Services - the company that runs the station for the National Science Foundation - deemed it too dangerous to send an air rescue crew in"

    October 17, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

    Well, it's not as if she made up a stroke to get out of going to work...

    I am glad this woman is getting out.

    *Note to self, do NOT send resumé to Rayethon Polar Services...*

    October 17, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

      I am not so sure about this story? First of all she survived her stroke and the medical team on base had determined her life was not endangered. So what's gonna happen now? She'll get some therapy and some blood thinners and told to eat right and exercise. Believe me if she had an aneurism or something really life threatening, she would have been in a good hospital by now! But who knows: All's well that ends well!

      October 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

    @portland Tony:
    I'm not sure how well the team was looking after her, I have to assume that she didn't diagnose *herself*!
    I would also assume that they do have the sort of essential medication to treat her.
    That being said, remember the woman with breast cancer who couldn't get out, either?
    I don't care how good the medical team is there; do they have radiation and chemo available?
    Anybody have the answer?
    In any case, you're right.
    All's well that ends well.

    October 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |