October 18th, 2011

Clinton arrives in Libya on unannounced visit

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton landed in Tripoli on Tuesday, making her the first Cabinet-level American official to visit Libya since the ouster of longtime strongman Moammar Gadhafi.

Clinton landed under tight security in a country where forces loyal to the transitional government are still battling Gadhafi loyalists. She was slated to meet with officials of the National Transitional Council and planned to offer U.S. medical assistance for those wounded in the fighting, according to a senior State Department official traveling with the secretary.

NTC fighters toppled Gadhafi's nearly 42-year-old government in August after six months of fighting. Gadhafi, his son Saif al-Islam Gadhafi and his brother-in-law and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Sanussi are wanted on war crimes charges and remain fugitives.

- CNN's Elise Labott is the news media pool producer for Clinton's trip.

1. D Ward

Why have you not reported that the communist party and the nazi party have endorsed the Wall Street protest movement?
    In one report, I also saw a well dress lady protestor who was blaming the Jewish people for the money problems in relationship to large banks and corporative America: anti-Semitism! There is also a report that the Wall Street protestors are asking for corporative backing; the very people they are protesting.
    I use to watch CNN all the time, but I now only watch it occasionally to see if you are reporting ALL the news fairly. You are not, which makes me quite sad. In the beginning, you did an excellent job, especially during Desert Storm (I was sick at the time and watched your coverage around the clock).
    I would like your owners/management to consider changing your coverage to a more balanced reporting format that would be in agreement with the basis upon which this country was founded.

October 18, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • slider

I agree with you. For years now reporting the actual news has been secondary to CNN. Their socoial and political agenda comes first instead of just reporting the actual news. When they do report something they are often the last network to get around to the story. Give us both sides of the story and let us make an informed decision. Sadly they often insert their famous CNN spin and slant to it.

October 18, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Queen michelle goes to every nation for vacation,and they send witch clinton into war zones hahahehe

October 18, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. George Patton

Here goes Hilary Clinton again, congratulating those self-styled "liberators" in Libya with her unmitigated arrogance and self-righteousness. These bozoes will be belly-hooed for some time to come, I expect!!!

October 18, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Dick

Here I go being Dick again. When you see the above name, its me, Dick.

October 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

@dward Oh you mean like fox news fair and balanced

October 18, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • slider

In the all important rateings war CNN is always far below that other one we don't like too much. Been that way for a very long time.

October 18, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Bally-ho'd, George Patton.

October 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

The other one is much more inflammatory, I'll give you that, slider.

Bally hoo'd.
    Sorry.

October 18, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

Banasy-left you a little somethin somethin on the cards -texan thread. Thanks for the well wishin. I hope the Texan bats cool off.

October 18, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

Goooooooooooooo Cards!

October 18, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Israel is on Gadhafi's side

October 18, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:
    I saw it, thank you.
    I missed you while you were gone.
    GO CARDS!

@Isreal:
    Now *thats* what I'm talking about!

October 18, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Ooops, sorry for the typo. Israel. Hard to spell-check while I'm driving.

October 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wolfer2

I am so happy to hear the Clintons r in the news caring for other countries too. I really like them. BOTH. now who will be running OUR Country. I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE AN AMERICAN RUN OUR COUNTRY. DID WE RUN OUT OF THEM? people talk about no one running against OBAMA IN THE ELECTION. HE MUST BE THAT GOOD. But they say he isnt so what about my nephew running. would we get a vote for that? maybe our nurse down the street could. why not- nurses are great humanitarians. they know a lot. they need that job and they believe a lot in thier work. vote.

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jimmy Hoffa

Way to go Hillary! Watch out for those 20,000 rockets the terrorist have now. One may find you in the tailpipe.

October 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Galactic Cannibal

OMG here we go again giving our tax dollars to these Arabs, which we know little about. Why don't the vastly richer Saudi's give $billions to these Libyan who are their neighbors..I just want to vomit every time i see our politicians give away our money to worthless causes, when we have a $14 trillion national debt and millions of fellow Americans out of work . And our schools getting shafted by cutting funding .etc.

October 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. George Patton

As one may notice, these Tea Partying trolls here and everywhere else on this web site never talk about the topic on hand. Almost none of them ever even mentioned Hilary nor Libya for that matter. It goes to show just how retarded these Tea Pariers are with their inability to think!!!!

October 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |