October 20th, 2011

4.6 earthquake strikes near San Antonio

A rare 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck 50 miles south-southeast of San Antonio, Texas, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday. The earthquake was just over 2 miles deep.

The earthquake was felt in Wilson County, Atascosa County and Bexar County, making it the largest to hit the area since 1993, when a 4.3-magnitude quake shook the area, WOAI reported, citing the U.S. Geological Survey.

"I felt the earthquake this morning around 7:20. I was sitting on my love seat in my bedroom reading my Bible. I felt a swaying movement. My husband was in the shower. He felt nothing," Patricia Hardeman, of southeast San Antonio told WOAI. "I lived in California most of my life and knew it was an earthquake."

Employees were briefly evacuated from the a federal building in downtown San Antonio and allowed to return inside just before 9 a.m., the San Antonio Express-News reported, citing Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Fernie Karl.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Texas
  1. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

I JUST DONT CARE ANYMORE.

October 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Hi, Drak, how are you?

October 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pants

We East-coasters are experts on earthquakes now. If any of you Central-coasters have questions about leaf rustling quakes, just let us know.

October 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peace

Mostly hit further South than S.A.... Beeville, Pleasanton... TX area... One man said he felt dizzy; and said he thought they were his Allergies...HAHA... Pretty bad Allergies... He, then realized the ground was shaking.

October 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mmmmm

I feel the earth move under my feet
    I feel the sky tumbling down
    I feel my heart start to trembling
    Whenever you're around

Oh, baby, when I see your face
    Mellow as the month of May
    Oh, darling, I can't stand it
    When you look at me that way

I feel the earth move under my feet
    I feel the sky tumbling down
    I feel my heart start to trembling
    Whenever you're around

Oh, darling, when you're near me
    And you tenderly call my name
    I know that my emotions
    Are something that I just can't tame
    I've just got to have you, baby

I feel the earth move under my feet
    I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down
    I feel the earth move under my feet
    I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down

I just lose control
    Down to my very soul
    I get hot and cold all over

I feel the earth move under my feet
    I feel the sky tumbling down
    Tumbling down
    Tumbling down
    Tumbling down
    Tumbling down

thanks carol king!!!

October 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

Best post I've read in a long long time. Good lyrics too!

October 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Portland Tony

Is there much petrochemical extraction in that area?

October 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Love that song!
    Thanks, Mmmmmm!

October 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Old driller with no TV

Wow. I hope the folks in Dilley and Peareall, TX are OK. Especially them kindly folks who introduced me to narbequed goat guts at a trap and skeet shoot I atteneded. That area south of San Antone has the purest oil in the world. The honey like oil is found in the Austin Chalk zone, and I was there drilling back in the early 1980s. Really. You can just use it in your lawnmowers crank case without any refining. If you try drilling into it with toxic sludge mud as most do, the chalk formation swells as it absorbs the mud, and the drillpipe gets stuck. So they had guys like me come down and drill with an inert ingredient called 'Air'. he he. Too bad every formation isn't like that. We used to have to drill into the payzone, and then drill sideways. I wonder if this EQ has changed that strategy.

October 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Old driller with no TV

'Pearsall and Dilley' rather. And they called those barbequed goat guts "trepetas"...truh-pay-tuhs. I ate about a quarter pound of them before I knew what they were! Boy oh boy they were tastey, and I've never seen them served anywhere since.

October 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Old driller with no TV

@Tony in Portland. Guess there is. he he. And you never did reply to Sherlock Holes PI's question: Do Oreganoites still require peasants to do their pumping of gasoline for them, it being so technical and dangerous for the avg. Porty to do themselves. he he....just having some fun. Joey call's it 'knitting'. Lmao

October 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Old driller with no TV

"Sherlock Holes". LMAO. I'm on my cellphone. Can you tell? Some mistake this for my being drunk! he he. My PC is downstairs where it's cold at night. It was 32 deg. this morning...warmed-up to 49 all by itself. 🙂

October 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the prophet

I am thinking we should invade Mexico ...

October 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ernie

Hey! Where's Bert? Ahhh, You never had stuffed green grouches have ya? No (shaking my head) never mind. LOL
    Oil of Olay, yeah I've had that stuff! Opps , wrong oil (pounding my hand against my forehead) ohhh, I dropped a few marbles... that's explains it.

October 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mountain Man

@ Mmmmm...I feel the earth moooove, under my feet. I feel the skyyyy, a tumbing down. I loved Carol King's music. I only had one LP album of hers though. Then it was 8-track. Then it was cassette. Then it was disked. And now it's rapped. The sky isn't the only thing tumbling down.

October 20, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ernie

@ Prophet, It would seem Iran should be next to invade, or did you forget about the assassination attempt.
    @ Driller, don't be hogging all the booze pass it along now !

October 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |