October 20th, 2011

4.6 earthquake strikes near San Antonio

A rare 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck 50 miles south-southeast of San Antonio, Texas, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday. The earthquake was just over 2 miles deep.

The earthquake was felt in Wilson County, Atascosa County and Bexar County, making it the largest to hit the area since 1993, when a 4.3-magnitude quake shook the area, WOAI reported, citing the U.S. Geological Survey.

"I felt the earthquake this morning around 7:20. I was sitting on my love seat in my bedroom reading my Bible. I felt a swaying movement. My husband was in the shower. He felt nothing," Patricia Hardeman, of southeast San Antonio told WOAI. "I lived in California most of my life and knew it was an earthquake."

Employees were briefly evacuated from the a federal building in downtown San Antonio and allowed to return inside just before 9 a.m., the San Antonio Express-News reported, citing Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Fernie Karl.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Texas
  1. Mountain Man

yeah "Earnie". It used to be Burt and Ernie. Now it's Burt in Ernie. Bring back the good old day's Uncle Sam. Yeah, I know you are already. And I surely do appreciate it.

October 20, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ernie

I got that one beat!

So far away
    Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
    It would be so fine to see your face at my door
    Doesn't help to know you're just time away

Long ago I reached for you and there you stood
    Holding you again could only do me good
    Oh, how I wish I could
    But you're so far away

One more song about moving along the highway
    Can't say much of anything that's new
    If I could only work this life out my way
    I'd rather spend it being close to you

But you're so far away
    Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
    It would be so fine to see your face at my door
    Doesn't help to know you're so far away

Traveling around sure gets me down and lonely
    Nothing else to do but close my mind
    I sure hope the road don't come to own me
    There's so many dreams I've yet to find

But you're so far away
    Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
    It would be so fine to see your face at my door
    Doesn't help to know you're so far away

October 20, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JLH

Why is the fact that she was reading the bible a necessary part of this? Who cares what she was doing.

October 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mountain Man

I have seen too much
    I have seen too much not to know
    The impressions of a woman
    More valuable than conclusions
    Even the conclusions of the analytical reasoner

But then there's always:

"And when a man is so absorbed in his thoughts he is not thinking about a law case. He is thinking about a woman. That is stupid."-Scaevola

Flipping a coin
    Losing that one
    Flipping another coin
    Neither came-up heads
    Neither came-up tails
    Both land on their edges
    Wobble
    Wobble
    Wobble
    All fall down

October 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mountain Man

@JLH...good point. Maybe if she was reading the newspaper you shut your piehole?

October 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ernie

@ JLH , Why not ? or are you uncomfortable with any mention of the BIBLE or God?

October 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mountain Man

dang fillthy bible anways. how disgusting.

October 20, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ernie

🙂 I remember WEEBLE WOBBLES lol , takes me back now! dude you'll be just fine with or without
    Remember, you can do without a women, but you can't do without God ! Hope that helps

October 20, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mountain Man

I reckon that the bible is the least read book of all time. I know that it's the most published book in human histroy, but the least read. Contempt prior to investigation has made the bibles words null and void. That, and the 'holy mans' interpretations for the fleeced flocks too lazy to read and understand. And that, along with the 'holy mans' personal activities.

October 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Well, this is certainly interesting...

October 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ernie

It really gets my goat when someone says "oh yes, I'm religious! HEY MORON, we can see how 2 faced your are! Cant say I believe in
    Jehovah, meaning of name (causes to become)
    Messiah and Jesus' both meaning (Anointed one)
    This must be crushing you or maybe it's cause you have sold yourself to the Devil already, eh!
    So now there is NO excuse for anyone who reads this, not to know the meaning of his name

October 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mountain Man

@ Ernie...that's right. You recall the wobble. That's what you remember, and that's what you projest from your memory. It is this projection of yours that keeps trying to blow the coin over to a 'tails' disguised as an 'heads'. I have read descriptions of 'heads' given by some very wise men. And over the years, I have come to understand what they mean. They mean that Adam should have ran like heck when Eve started whispering in his ear.

October 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mountain Man

As if God's name needs to be dragged through this mud.

October 20, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ernie

I see what your saying, I am trying to blow the coin over, but it must be your choice!

October 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ernie

My point is not to drag His name tru any mud, I'm just sick an tired of people trying to shut me up when my Fathers name is brought up! I NOT uncomfortable, JLH IS!

October 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |