October 20th, 2011

4.6 earthquake strikes near San Antonio

A rare 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck 50 miles south-southeast of San Antonio, Texas, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday. The earthquake was just over 2 miles deep.

The earthquake was felt in Wilson County, Atascosa County and Bexar County, making it the largest to hit the area since 1993, when a 4.3-magnitude quake shook the area, WOAI reported, citing the U.S. Geological Survey.

"I felt the earthquake this morning around 7:20. I was sitting on my love seat in my bedroom reading my Bible. I felt a swaying movement. My husband was in the shower. He felt nothing," Patricia Hardeman, of southeast San Antonio told WOAI. "I lived in California most of my life and knew it was an earthquake."

Employees were briefly evacuated from the a federal building in downtown San Antonio and allowed to return inside just before 9 a.m., the San Antonio Express-News reported, citing Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Fernie Karl.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Texas
  1. Ernie

ahhh, haven;t thought about the Mountain dew guy in awhile
    Okie Dokie then
    Night Mmmmmm

October 21, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ernie

Ok, Mmmmm
    I couldn't let that hang out in the air, so I read it and conclude that he WAS with her!
    Since the very next sentence was that she also gave Adam some of the apple to eat "who was with her"
    So I do conclude, both were at fault
    Feel will Adam, you could have said NO

October 21, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Hey all my bloggers, there was a report of e-quake activity in this area!Finally I'm hearing it reported because after living for many years in Cali & experiencing tremblors that are not significant enought to be reported, I have been feeling that here in ATx! I knew we'd have a sigificant 1 soon enough! Texsas has serious fault lines going through it so I think we're gonna see alot more of this activity!!

October 21, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. justathought

I don't know if San Antonio buiding are built for earthquakes, but it isn't earthquakes that kill people, it's falling buildings that kill people. Would be hard to say if it is better to be inside or outside. Inside: the buildins fall down on you, outside the buidings fall down on you. So where is the best place? Who really knows. If you are lucky, you won't be near any buildings.

October 21, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ernie

They (the apostles) left they're own families (wives) for him (Jesus')
    He has asked no less of me!

October 21, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. raven

@m.s. :can you say hypocrite ?

October 21, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anex

"Reading my bible".. yes I'm sure. Most people who actually read it find that it is riddled with contradictions and don't even bother anymore.

October 21, 2011 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
    • chrisy

please Anex, you dont have to blieve in your saviour to be saved cause he believes in you.

Get rid of ipads and iphones and your connect xbox. PRODUCTS OF THE ANTI-CHRIST, THE ALL SEEING EYE. How else do you think they monitor you with the reptile eye? turn away from your true savior cause your thier brainwashed product. what would you do when the wrath of GOD shakes your house? you would probaly scream for GODS help. ha blasphmer? I THINK YOU ARE SCARED OF THE REVELATIONS THAT COME FROM THE BIBLE, WOE TO YOU FOR THE PROPHECIES OF THE HOLY BIBLE IS NIGH....

October 21, 2011 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
    • bible student

@Anex...riddled with SEEMING contradictions. To find any treasure, one must dig deep. Spending just a relatively small mount of time examining the bible will only show you the contradictions. And be honest...someone pointed out those "contradictions" to you. You did NOT just stumble upon them all by yourself. You were looking for an excuse to ignore the biles prohibition against your lifestyle, and found one.

@chrissy...God is NOT causing EQ's. EQ's kill indiscriminantly...they kill decent and indecent people alike. According to your bible, God has NEVER executed ANYONE without giving them ample warning through people who are obedient to him and his word. People like Jesus Christ, who warned bible readers of the coming wars, plagues, pestilences, food shortages, even the "cooling off" of the love people naturally have for each other, especially for fellow christians whom we are commanded to love, not bomb. (how many catholics killed catholics in WW2 or how many innocent christians were slaughtered in the bombing of Iraq? There used to be 350,000 christians living in Iraq you know)

It was your preacher, not your bible, who says that these EQ's are being caused by God himself. God just knew that they woul occur because he designed this planet, and knew exactly how this planet would react to mankinds trying to ruin it. These EQ's are NOT of God's making.

October 21, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • dave

Hi Anex,
      The reason you can say the bible is full of contradictions is because you do not understand it. The bible does have "apparent" contradictions only because we might not understand a verse. God wrote the bible in this way. God said He spoke in parrables and without a parable spoke He not. We must compare scripture with scripture to come to understanding. But the bottome line is, God must give the eyes to see and ears to hear. He must give the understanding.

The more you read God's word and get familar with it you may start to see this. I hope this may be of some help.
      Dave

October 21, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • jeremy

@ dave

the bible indirestly says the earth is 6,000 years old, you are darn right we dont understand the bible.

October 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrisy

October 21, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzz

Don't troll.

October 21, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Elizabeth Ashley

It was 07:25 a.m. I was in my granddaughters room when the entire building and myself started swaying back and forth in a gently but moderate movement that lasted around 1-2 minutes. It was quiet. I was sitting on the floor near the middle of the room. I sat watching the walls as my body swayed with the movement of the building expecting something to fall but it didn't. I knew something was wrong when I felt my body involuntarily move. I have felt a tremor and been in an earthquake before as a young child so I was familiar with this earth movement. I live in an upstairs apartment at the Medical Center Area at the top of a hill. As a Nurse I was concerned afterwards about the large hospitals across the street and the thousands of lives involved that could have been hurt had this been more severe. The buildings here are not built to hold up to earthquakes and people here are not use to this type of event. the USGS has confirmed a fault line in this region that is becoming active and the last quake here for this fault was a 4.3 back in April 1993. I was also aware that this earthquake had occurred just a few hours after I posted in my FaceBook site about the California "Shake Out" scheduled for tomorrow and that the U.S. Government should have emergency preparedness drills established for ALL U.S. States. I also have listed a link in my FB site for the IRIS & USGS live earthquake site. Today I went back and posted that IRIS warned me of a current earthquake occurring at my home just a few hours after I posted it on my FaceBook site and our city and State had no preparations established for this. Even though California has the San Andrea's Vault, kudos to them for taking action to be ready when the big one hits, and it will, and when it does we will feel it here! Will we learn from this mild 4.3 tremor San Antonio ? ~ Elizabeth Ashley ~ San Antonio, Texas ~ Medical Center Area.

October 21, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. brianm0122

>making it the largest to hit the area since 1993, when a 4.3-magnitude quake shook the area<

Last I checked, 4.6 was still larger than 4.3,,,,so the correct wording would be "making it the largest to hit the area since BEFORE 1993, when a 4.3-magnitude quake shook the area

October 21, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

m.s.: I thought you could.

Only if it's *us* doing it, though.

October 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael Durand

I think God is closer then you no,

October 24, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Melissa M.

I thought this was about earthquakes... Why must there always be a debate about right vs wrong, christian vs atheist? It's rediculous that people can not stay on track.

October 28, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. kim berly lane

the new paple is a good way to raend it

November 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |