October 21st, 2011

Chinese toddler dies a week after being hit by cars, ignored by passersby

A 2-year-old Chinese girl - who was ignored after being hit by two cars last week, later sparking a fierce debate about the state of China's morals - has died, a nurse at a military hospital said.

Wang Yue died about 12:32 a.m. Friday, according to a nurse in the intensive care unit at Guangzhou Military Hospital, in Guangzhou. The nurse would not give her name, a common practice in such situations.

Video captured by a nearby security camera showed a pair of drivers, one after the other, hitting Yue, in Foshan in Guangdong Province. More than a dozen people walked, cycled or drove past the toddler as she lay bleeding in a busy market.

The girl was eventually rescued by a 58-year-old scavenger, who pulled her aside and tried to get help.

The toddler's mother, Qu Feifei, later said her daughter was in critical condition at a hospital, with her brain showing little activity despite earlier subtle movements in her lower body.

The video footage sparked a global outcry about the state of morality in China's fast-changing society.

FULL STORY

Filed under: China • World
  1. raven

I saw this a couple days ago and I was hoping this poor baby would pull thru . My heart aches for all who loved her .

October 21, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. bigwilliestyles

RIP to one of life's true victims.

October 21, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

In a land that's three times our population, it's amazing a good portion of our $14.8 trillion national deficit is owed to this same country. Then a story like this comes along, AND WE'RE STILL SPENDING IT.

October 21, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rd grader

oh. We lerned that China has 4 times as many peeple. What grade are you in Jeff Frank Rohio? And are teecher told us that China peeple have two times as many bank accounts as us and if you even wriite a bad check that isnt no good you can be exnocuted becouse in China frod is against the law.

October 21, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rd grader

and my teacher said that the peeple who officinanally keep track of debt even call it public debt to gross domestic product ratio. Did your teacher say its sposed to be called natnimal debt? Whose your teacher Jeff? Mine is Mrs. Clarke.

October 21, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick Chan

What has it got to do with price of banana? If you want to criticize Chinese moral?... no thanks to you, hundreds of Chinese quarters are reflecting on that.
      If you are pointing finger at China for US worsening economy cause by none other than yourself, don't wrap it in here 'coz it is irrelevant.
      Just for your info, this pointing finger thing is just a way US politicians say,"I didn't do it, dolly did."

October 21, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. 3rd grader

@ Jeff Frank Rohio...we lerned that its really public debt and peeple call in natinonal debt to pretind like they didnt do it.

October 21, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. leeintulsa

This story almost made me hurl the other day. How could anyone walk by a bleeding, battered 2-year old and do nothing?

I don't know if i'd have moved her, but i sure would have stood over her and made enough racket to attract parents and authorities.

The old 'scavenger' shows the chinese can care. What was wrong with all those other people?

October 21, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rd grader

hi leenintintulsa. I seened lots of people walking away from abortshun buildings and people walking around with signs getting in there way. My teacher told me they dont do that in China because they have rules that people know and so only get to have less kids than we do so they dont spend money on buildings and doctors and bags full of fetnuses.

October 21, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rd grader

...and my teacher told me about some bad people in...i forget wich county but i think it was Californetica and they saw this little girl being beat up and other stuff that CNN wont allow me to talk about just like my mom. Some of the bad people even took pictures and video cameras too and my friends dad says it happens a lot and i tried posting a link but the link had a word my mom wont let me us so google it using some kewords like i did. Google lets you use words like gang of americans raype girl as others watch. BUT DONT WATCH TOO MANY OF THE VIDEOS or your mom might get mad and do you have a link to the China story video and could i watch it ot just think everbuddy in China is bad.

October 21, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I saw this several days ago...it was heartless; not one, but two drivers ran her down.
    I guess China doesn't even value life enough to slow down enough to avoid hitting her, not once but twice,
    Where were they going so fast?
    What was so important that had to mow down a toddler?

My sympathy to the family of this poor soul.

October 21, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Holmes's Hat

@Sherlock:

Re: Comprende
    I understand now.
    That's fine.
    When some of those people flying by say things to you, bear that in mind, and that it's not me.

October 21, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

OK. Truce, then. Remember when were were close friends, and then the trolls came along? How we would always know if the posts were genuine or not? We lost that somewhere along the line. When people lose their car keys, do they not retrace their steps to find them? I say we do that and find what was lost. What say you? 😉

October 21, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Holmes's Hat

Oh, yeah, after the (supposed) detenté, it wasn't me, either.
    I guess I'm trying to say, stop the snark.

October 21, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

We have an ongoing case here in Colorado involving a two truck driver who was dragged to death by a woman who jumped into her vehicle and drove-off as the man was attatching a chain to her car. She knew he was there and thought she could just drive-away without causing harm. The man got caught-up in his tow cable and was literally dragged to death. To me, this is a simple case of negligent homicide. She was negligent (duh) and a homicide occured because of it. I'm just getting sick of the news dissing China, Iran, Venezuela, etc and rarely showing us news of what we do to each other daily here in the USA. Several posters have remarked "I can't believe chinese people are so bad"...as if we are better than they are.

October 21, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lee Fong Lumberyard (R-Ohio)

@3rd grader You mama need pay tension you. You bout to run choptix up your own a_s. Love Chi Chen

October 21, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rd grader

sticks and stones may break my bones but if you talk about my mom one more time, it's on. Sick old man. I knew there was no way you were still in school. You are one of those children who didn't get left behind, aren't you. Take a hint and never visit China. They execute your kind over there.

October 21, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@banasy...You said "I guess China doesn't even value life... " What led you to the conclusion that the entire nation of China doesn't value life? Here's how i see it; there are decent and indecent people covering this entire planet. Some men came along and drew lines on maps and seperated them, with ea. man forming his own government. Now, can you show me any evidence that our government has been able to turn indecent people into decent people? Like, are there less fraudulent individuals now than there were before? (per capita) Are people more honest now because of some government honesty program, or what?

October 21, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. @ 3rd grader

I saw your mom working the corner yesterday afternoon. She wasnt getting any takers though. She sure is a fughly elephantine thing.

October 21, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. @ 3rd grader

Why doesnt your mom ever wash off after shes done with a trik ? She is naaaasstttty.

October 21, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. justathought

@3rd grader, I skipped school once when I was a kid, the next day my mom switched my little bottom all the way to school. I never did skip school after that. Why aren't you at school? Where is your mom?

October 21, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. @3rd grader

You are pretty dumb to be in 3rd grade. Rude too. I bet you are the child of a single parent household.

October 21, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |