October 21st, 2011

Chinese toddler dies a week after being hit by cars, ignored by passersby

A 2-year-old Chinese girl - who was ignored after being hit by two cars last week, later sparking a fierce debate about the state of China's morals - has died, a nurse at a military hospital said.

Wang Yue died about 12:32 a.m. Friday, according to a nurse in the intensive care unit at Guangzhou Military Hospital, in Guangzhou. The nurse would not give her name, a common practice in such situations.

Video captured by a nearby security camera showed a pair of drivers, one after the other, hitting Yue, in Foshan in Guangdong Province. More than a dozen people walked, cycled or drove past the toddler as she lay bleeding in a busy market.

The girl was eventually rescued by a 58-year-old scavenger, who pulled her aside and tried to get help.

The toddler's mother, Qu Feifei, later said her daughter was in critical condition at a hospital, with her brain showing little activity despite earlier subtle movements in her lower body.

The video footage sparked a global outcry about the state of morality in China's fast-changing society.

FULL STORY

Filed under: China • World
  1. justathought

The sad thing about this little kid being ignored was that with laws as they are today, nobody wants to get involved with the possiability of ending up in court and perhaps being sued or found guilty of some dumb law. I wonder, where were her parents. Are there any child endangerment laws in China?

October 21, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. @Patrick Chan

Naaaa naaa naa naaaa naaaaa. Im pointing all 7 of my fingers at you ! And china ! You chineese doooodoooo eater.

October 21, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. @Patrick Chan

Your post is full of the letter L. Everone knows chineese people type and say the letter R whenever a L is used. I think you are a fake chinaman.

October 21, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@philip:
    I should not have made a blanket statement like that, even though I saw on the news today that the Chinese Government itself is looking into this case, and reasons into why the Chinese people have a blatent disregard for human life.
    I guess I should have started my post by saying that.
    I'll rectify it:
    These two drivers seem to have very little disreagrd for human life.

And yes, I remember.
    That being said, your style of posting is much more distinct; mine is rather generic, really.
    I have other friends tell me I posted something, when I didn't; it's all right. I don't care.
    I know when it's me, and when it's not.

October 21, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

God. But let's be honest. Sadly, this could have happened anywhere in the world. It's not just a Chinese failing. It's a human failing.

October 21, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Not this human..

October 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

I guess I shouldn't lump all 7 billion of us together. I would have stopped too. But I still think this could have happened anywhere.

October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

OH COME ON. LIGHTEN UP. THIS IS A FUNNY STORY. : ) Doesnt anyone have a sence of humor anymore?

October 21, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Bre

if you could spell. *sense NOT sence...go back to school.

October 21, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

BtBC:
    You're right, of course.
    I was just horrified when I saw the video for the first time...
    People really suck sometimes.

October 21, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Desmond Morris is an interesting read. He's a zoologist who studies humans as if we were just another animal (and of course we are). I don't remember if he specifically studied this phenomenon, but whenever I hear about something like this, I think of a herd of animals who will collectively run from danger. But as soon as one of the weaker members is taken down by the lion or leopard they'll soon get back to their grazing or whatever as if nothing is going on. We are a lot like that, whether you are talking about world affairs that don't really affect us, or an accident like this.

October 21, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

@Clown...good point. People who are full of fear do behave like animals, those that aren't, behave like humans. And true, humans are an species of animal, but the differences between humans and all other animals are vast. For example, thanks to technology we now know that every single animal on earth uses it's entire brains memory capacity during the natural course of their lives. human, however, have an huge memory capacity, that one researcher likened to an earth covered with PC's. It is well understood that even Albert Einstein was only able to use but a small percentage of his brain during his lifespan. This disparity between humans and other animals gives evolutionists fits. There simply is NOTHING in the theory of evolution that can account for it.

October 21, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

What? I can hardly hear you talking through that hat of yours.

October 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Here's why your avg. American views Chinese citizens as slaves, and the Chinese gov. as "evil". It's because that's what the talking heads tell you over and over and over again each and every day. It's why it's called an TV PROGRAM. We are being PROGRAMMED to hate the Chinese. To HATE Iran[next], to HATE Venezuela[after Iran]. The talking heads tried to program you to HATE Afghanistan, but failed. So they played on your HATRED of Russia programmed into US for decades, and THEN you fell for it, and became overjoyed and missed the details. Who remembers CNN Reporting Bush and Blair paying OBL 50 million dollars? Who remembers our gov. making a formal treaty w/Afghanistans gov. to allow US entry to capture OBL and then removing Afghanistans gov. and installing an american citizen as their new leader INSTEAD of capturing Usama Bin Laden? You don't remember because the TV didn't show it over and over and over again.

October 21, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • TCI

I agree with you about the New we are given are programed to make us feel in a way. but for this event. it is real, and it makes Chinese hate China as well..

October 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT (kcmo resident and smoker of fine purple kush)

what does china and the taliban have in common??? they hate women..

October 21, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

@RUFFNUTT...good point? Or pure nonsense.

When the taliban gov. was in charge of Afghanistan, if you rayped a woman, the law not only allowed that womans husband, brother, or father to investigate the case personally, find out who did the raype and then hunt them down and kill them...the law required that this be done.

In China...raype a woman and you are executed within 30 days.

Check the FBI's website and see the statistics. How many American women suffered raype last year? What was the avg. prison sentence served by the guilty party. (and as the website explains, most cases of raype in the USA go unreported)

Checkity check check check you'self before you wrecky yo'self in other words.

And enjoy that MJ while you can. It has been allowed for a time to help Americans addicted to more dangerous street drugs and pharmaceuticals to wean themselves before the Victory Act get's signed into law that will make MJ illegal nationwide...and will allow the CIA to help the overwhelmed FBI investigate all who continue to defraud our system through various programs like social security/welfare/foodstam and military entytlement programs. Puff away bro...just get ready.

October 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat2u

I'll admit, I did not watch the video, but just the news report of this is so disturbing. How can a "people ?" act in this manner. Be damned the legal implications. You don't leave anyone laying in the middle of the street, let alone a child.

October 21, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

In China girls mean nothing! The ratio of girl babies in orphanages is something like 10 to every 1 boy! If she was in the streets people probably thought she was a throwaway & thusly didn't care if they mowed her down! How did she become separated from her mom? I think there may be more to this story than we know!!

October 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

In the original article, i think it said both parents were working in a nearby laundry (hehe.. Classic), and the child wandered outside.

October 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonia

That is a ridiculous general statement. Go all over the world, parents love their babies regardless of the horrific cultures and governments/dictators/poverty.....so general.

October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

And look at how the Chinese military keeps on invading and occupying small nations all around the globe too. Filthy disgusting Chinese. I bet they even occupy some countries just to get their oil so they can make more plastic crud to sell to US. Greedy no-good for nothing commies.

October 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat2u

@fernace

I remember reading an article a good while back, that in some families there that the regard for a female birth would result in that female child being put to death and trying again for a male child. I think this was because of the one child rule that was mandated there.

October 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. s kel

Do they still behead people in China? If yes, than everyone I saw in that vid I would love to see beheaded.

October 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Okey~Agu

Does it mean that Chinese are this wicked.

October 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

No, it just means that their like the majority of the population of the world now. Just to afraid to get involved.

October 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |