October 21st, 2011

Friday's live events

CNN.com Live is your home for gavel-to-gavel coverage of Dr. Conrad Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - Herman Cain in Michigan - GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain is expected to provide more details on his "9-9-9" plan when he makes a campaign stop in Detroit.

2:30 pm ET - Obama honors science stars - President Obama greets the recipients of the 2010 National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation at the White House.

3:45 pm ET - Conrad Murray trial - Testimony continues in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, who's accused of involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 death of Michael Jackson.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Conrad Murray • Crime • Politics
  1. michaelfury

Presidential Medal of Science recipient Lynn Margulis speaks:

October 21, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Holmes's Hat

*Still* not interested in Conrad Murray's trial.

October 21, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Oops, forgot to change my name back. But I'm *still* not interested, no matter what name I write under.

October 21, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. @ 3rd grader

3rd graders mom is.

October 21, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

"Third graders mom is" what. 'Third graders mom is' is on not a complete sentence and communicates nothing.

October 21, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Since this thread is going nowhere, I'd like to start a new one where we can each reason on what's going on with Libya, if that's OK. I know it's not like talking about going to the gym or talking about the weather.

I ran away from home for the first time when I was in the 5th Grade. I hid in a cave on Rattlesnake Hill, and for 3 days I snuck back home. I was a paerboy with 2 routes delivering 300 newspapers, and my plan was to finish out the month, and when it came time to collect, keep all the money to finance my escape. (back then, newspaper boys did the collecting. 2.50 per month...the boy kept the .50, and gave the 2.00 to his route supervisor)

I am telling this story to set-up for this question: Do you really believe that multi-billionaires whould hide in a hole in the ground or in a sewer pipe to escape being captured.

Don't even try answering with "NATO had Libya's borders covered. To think that NATO could secure Libya's borders in such short-order would be saying that our own government made our borders secure. It's been over 10 years since 9/11, and look. Our borders are so still-open that even poor Mexican farm workers can find their way in and out with very little problem. It goes without saying, that if Bill Gates was a wanted man and decided to flee, the last place you would find him is hiding in a hole.

Do you really believe that multi-billionaires whould hide in a hole in the ground or in a sewer pipe to escape?

October 21, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

note: forensic examination of the hole in the ground where Saddam was said to have been hiding for over a month showed that the hole was less than a week old. One of the ways forensics could tell was by the length of the roots growing out of the sides of the walls. (now don't go trying to figure out if maybe Saddam was trimming the roots. Forensics would have picke-up on this if that were the case)

October 21, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Saddam was captured on December 13th. His spiderhole photo was taken in August, or what? The fruit on the date palm behind the soldier in the photos we have been shown is yellow. Date fruit grows from March-August and is harvested in early fall. Dates are yellow (ie. just ripened) in August, not December. I'm not invoking conspiracy – I'm just asking: what gives?

Here's what gives: People were overjoyed at hearing of his capture. When a person becomes overly joyous, the details of the occassion are hardly noticed nor recalled. A joyous occassion such as a wedding...we remember the little things because we were full of joy...NOT because we were full of too much joy.

I was glad to see him captured, and I was glad to see him arrested rather than just killed. And I was glad to see justice served in his case. He was convicted of 143 counts of premeditated murder, and sentenced to death.

But I WASN'T sooooo very very happy and party-mad "yeee hawwww they got him Martha!" that I ignored not forgot the details. No, I am NOT beating a dead horse, unless you were one of the overly joyous people who didn't bother with the details. (except the details of the OJ case? most know the little details because you followed that simple case involving one man killing one woman, and you followed it closely)

Why have you NOT followed the Saddam case closely so as to know the details.

Why have you NOT followed the Gadhaffi case until he was killed? Nearly 3,000 posts after his death...hardly a word over the past decades of his reign over Libya.

We all know how his reign as dictator ended...how many here know how it began, who helped it begin, and what organisations sustained him?

Who here knows the details. All you know is what you are shown. And what you are shown is so overly dramatized...you miss the details like the roots in Saddams hole and the color of date fruit. You fail to reason on "why in the world would one of the richest men on earth hide in a hole or sewer pipe" because you are overly-joyous. No? How did you all miss these simple details that thousands of others noticed?

Here's how; they weren't mentioned on TV, your source for truth.

October 21, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

In a America and the rest of the "civilized world" we give our former leaders a library and lots of honorariums etc..In the emerging countries, they just call them tyrants and execute them.

October 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

Hey Tony. Good point, but I have a question for you...you say that "In the emerging countries, they just call them tyrants and execute them."

Who is the "they" that you are referring to?

October 21, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

@ Philip. I just skimmed the first few sentences. Looks like a pretty good novel you've got going, but I'll wait for the movie to come out.

@banasy, good morning. OK, I'm disillusioned. How many other one-off names have you used? I thought I was the only one doing that.

Signed,
    Bimbo, AI, CG, Morbo, a beaver, various gorlillas, Beeman, the laughing prospector, and many, many more.

October 21, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@BtBC:
    That was just a message to Sherlock, which is why I did that.
    Other names I have used are Madame Royale, Queen, Queenie, HRM banasy.
    Cricket, and Pix. There are others, I'm sure, but I always go back to banasy©, which has been my screen name for over 11 years now.
    Don't be disillusioned.
    I rarely do it, so you can still be King, if you want.

October 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I sould have known you were the gorillas. Those were hilarious!

October 21, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Portland Tony:
    If that's what they are, they do.
    The people there have spoken.
    Who are we to condemn?

@King:
    Smart ass!

October 21, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

OK. Let's talk about gorillas. 'Gorillas in the Mist' movie perhaps? Or, armed gorillas carrying brand-new M-16's ousting Haiti's President Aristide shortly after he passed a law banning the CIA from funneling SE Asia drug monies into the US. (based on Ross Perot's multi-million dollar investigation into MIA's in SE Asia that stumbled accross a CIA drug ring running drugs into the US, and funneling the money through Hatian banks) No? Gorillas playing with themselves in zoos maybe?

October 21, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

I think you are talking about guerillas. Though an armed and fully trained gorilla would be awesome.

October 21, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Philip

@Clown...You "think" that I am talking about gorillas, but aren't really sure. Wow. 'Clown' is a good name for you. Too bad that clown makeup you wear here isn't something that washes off easily. I'll find some sandpaper and as we post here in the future and maybe see if I can help you get that makeup off once in a while. Perhaps a pipe wrench to get that big red ball off of your nose from time to time. Think nothing of it. It's what I do here.

October 21, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

What's the matter, did someone buy the last bottle of ripple before you got to the liquor store this morning?

October 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

OK...let's just chat about much ado about nothing. My friend whom I was cat sitting for came and got Pepe' the cat last night. Pepe' hid from him in my closet at the end of the hall. I think Pepe' likes me more than him. he he

October 21, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Do you really believe that multi-billionaires would hide in a holes in the ground or in a sewer pipes to escape?

October 21, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Very good comment Philip, you are all ways right and very interesting. Not to mention funny, no one has your humor. I would also like to point out what I just mentioned about the roots in Sadams hole ,very touching,one just stop thinking about roots in ones hole!

October 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |