German satellite re-enters Earth's atmosphere
October 22nd, 2011

German satellite re-enters Earth's atmosphere

[Updated 10:54 p.m. ET] A defunct satellite has entered the atmosphere, the German Aerospace Center reported Sunday morning.

"There is currently no confirmation if pieces of debris have reached Earth's surface," it said. Up to 30 pieces of space debris could hit land or water.

[Posted 4:29 p.m. ET] The earliest possible re-entry of a decommissioned German satellite into the Earth's atmosphere was pushed back to Saturday evening Eastern time, the German space agency's website said.

The agency originally had projected Saturday afternoon as the earliest re-entry for the satellite, which could include up to 30 individual pieces of debris.

As of 4 p.m. ET Saturday, the agency's latest prediction narrowed the re-entry to a six-hour window during Saturday night.

"The largest single fragment will probably be the telescope's mirror, which is very heat resistant and may weigh up to 1.7 tons," according to the German Aerospace Center (DLR).

The time and location of the Roentgen Satellite's (ROSAT) re-entry couldn't be forecast precisely, and officials estimated the fiery event to occur any time between 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday and 1:30 a.m. ET Sunday, the agency said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Germany • Space
  1. gung hoe AKA metal recycler

Hey guys now Iam open to using ruffies camaro to attempt to conceieve from me but anyone else Im jealous

October 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

aww ruffie it WAS you who asked me remember? and u specifally said the back seat of the camaro lmfao

October 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( kindergarden teacher )

YEP... SOME LOVIN IN THE CAMARO..

October 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

lmao @ bobcat would that upset u? did me too when i heard it, butt ruffie was havin a clown day even tho he was doggin me to impress mary i let it slide cuz he is/was my friend.

October 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat2u

@chrissy
    Yeah ruffie has definitely had it going on today. I've beenreading his posts on some of the other stories here. I like his sense of humor.
    So, how you doin lady ?

October 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

you tend 2 lose my respect rather quickly when you talk about me that way behind my back ruffie. & as ive not done anything but be your blog friend...hope it worth it & pmt worked out for you! gosh knows you sand 2 a new level! let me no how it works out

October 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

im doing ok gettin ready to move and be in charge of my own destiny. spent most of yesterday and this mornin packing! woo freakin hoo

October 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat2u

@chrissy

Did I see a post that said you heading to Colorado ? Good luck with your future, and have a safe trip.

October 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

lol @ bobcat, that my very dear friend is a conversation for a different day one that im sure ur gonna luv the h#ll outt. lmfao

October 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

the whole important thing is stopping off in rochester new york to take mary h out 4 a real michigan kinda nite on the town! sounds like mega fun to me roflmao

October 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

and yea then got a very dif kinda friend to look in colorado! that one aint gonna be no way near as fun to look up no tv and all! 🙂

October 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

@chrissy

I totally understand. Me no touchee that one. Bobcat has left the building. lol

October 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ chrissy:
    You're moving? It's terrible to go through–always is for me, anyway.
    Colorado is beautiful. I'm sure that you'll make everyone you very happy wherever you go. 🙂

October 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

INSERT:
    "...everyone around you..."

October 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. George Patton

Let's just hope that the Russians come up soon wth the technology to destroy these dead sattelites before they return to earth so that we'll all breath a little but easier!!! After all, they pioneered the Space Age back on Oct.4,1957.

October 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Why is it George, that yours is the only sensible post on this web page? If these weak minded Tea Partiers weren't doing any posting at all, then you and I would be the only ones to comment here!!! It's funny how these Tea Partiers don't have enough sense to stick to the topic at hand!!!

October 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

lmao @ joey think about what i have said joey, it will come to you cuz ur mature for only bein ll5 dearheart lol

October 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hey chrissy, why can't you post something intelligent here for a change? These mindless, unfunny and off the subject Tea Party comments are starting to get very old. But then again, 90% of the Tea Partiers wouldn't be Tea Partiers if they could only think for themselves while the other 10% are pure right-wing fanatics!!!

October 22, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |