Overheard on CNN.com: There should be a medal, not an investigation
Libyan and world powers wanted to capture and prosecute Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi for alleged war crimes.
October 24th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: There should be a medal, not an investigation

Comment of the Day:

"I'll save my outrage for the untold tens of thousands of victims dead by his regime and terrorism support." - sarcastr0

Gadhafi's autopsy reveals he was shot in head

United Nations and international human rights groups are calling for an investigation into Moammar Gadhafi's final moments after an autopsy report failed to reveal whether the killing shot to his head was from crossfire or at close range. Thousands of CNN.com readers argued over whether a trial was necessary, with most echoing Littleman2, who said, "He died the way he lived."

FiatJusticia said, "I cannot believe there are people who are outraged he was killed without a fair trial. I mean how soft are you, really!? This is a tyrant we're talking about, someone who would have your whole family murdered without hesitation. Someone who would have your whole neighborhood wiped out without a blink. This guy is responsible for a lot of deaths. People like you could never be part of a major change because you are afraid to hurt the bad guys. It's called justice ... true justice."

raustin714 said, "This was their Hitler. How would you feel if a relative of someone exterminated in Auschwitz had suddenly the opportunity to point a gun at Hitler's head? Do you think he would pull the trigger? Would you?"

Kamalarani said, "Thousands of victims of Gadhafi were horribly tortured, executed and buried and the UN and so-called Human Rights watches never said a word, or demanded an accounting of their whereabouts. Now they are jumping onto their high horses and demanding an inquiry of how this evil dictator was killed? Give the man a medal and a million-dollar reward. He did the whole world a favor."

pres128 said, "So it was OK to launch NATO airstrikes to try and kill him, and it was OK for Hillary Clinton and other U.S. officials to announce their hopes that he gets killed, but it's not OK to actually kill him? Now it's suddenly a problem?"

TotalFlight said, "I don't see this being much different than taking out Osama; why the investigation on this one?"

B2Tall said, "This whole 'investigation' thing is complete BS. All these countries chiming in (U.S. included) are just going through the motions so they can appear 'shocked and dismayed' at an example of street-justice. In reality, nobody cares. Not the State Dept., not the White House, nobody."

5cuba5teve said, "Gadhafi himself stated he would not be taken alive. ... who knows if a different outcome would've been achievable."

pres128 said, "Gadhafi was given a quick, high-caliber trial, the same consideration he afforded his many victims."

TonyInNYC said, "Since they haven't had the rule of law for 42 years, it was probably too much to ask that the architect of the horror not end up more or less like Benito Mussolini. It's a hard road from here for Libyans to put together a civil society for themselves."

But Jackblob asked, "So when is it okay to put a bullet in the head of someone who has already been captured and when isn't it? Where do you draw the line? You can't turn a blind eye to murder just because it was Gadhafi. I doubt you will find a law written anywhere that says it is okay to murder some people and not others. If it were an American soldier who put the bullet in Gadhafi's head, he would be guilty of killing a prisoner of war."

spyderc85 agreed, saying "Yes he was a tyrant but everyone deserves due process. The Nazis after WW2 were given trials and they were far worse. Saddam was worse than Gadhafi and he received a trial. While I agree this man deserved what he got, the way it was done is not right."

Jackblob said, "If you truly believe that laws and rights apply to all, you must be willing to extend those rights to your most hated enemy."

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below, or sound off on video.

For those of you who would like to share news and comments that may be off topic, there is now a site where you can do just that. Here's the link:

Open Thread: Talk about the news

1. @@@history buff

Which is exactly what I said...the original thread where this blog was taken from. get it right, dude.

October 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConTroll

Leave these two to me> I can hate as much as they do.

October 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pedro'

I dont know. I think folks should be nice. When Im nice or kind to people they are mostly nice back. I know im ignorant and simple minded but it doesnt hurt to be kind.

October 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheepleherder

It's the "mostly" part that should get your attention. I seriously doubt that the 10's of thousands of people he murdered would have objected to him being "kind". I'm sure most of them thought that since they never did anything evil to him, he would reciprocate the "kindness".

October 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ???

Jazzzzzzz swallows. Hehehehe.

October 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Over 20,000,000 Russians died, rather

Oops

October 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. @@@history buff

@@@@whatever:
    All of these comments above were taken from "Gadhafi’s autopsy reveals he was shot in head" which is ANOTHER THREAD!
    Yeesh.

October 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Over 20,000,000 Russians died, rather

These over 20 million Russians who died were Russian citizens forced to goto war, not just regular army. They were taken from their homes as far away as from east Russia, and poorly armed. They were hidden from US to get our government to include Russia in the lend-lease program enjoyed by France and GB. These citizens were kidnapped, brutalized, and tortured by the Russian gov. just as bad as the jews were treated in Germany, before, during , and after WW2. (except for the jews who worked at the Bayer AG concentration camp who were experimented on with dangerous drugs that are today well known and prescribed, albiet refined over the years since) The US gov did in fact take all of the nazis high-tech devices, chemicals, technologies, etc and bring them home after the war. Many have been refined for the good, others for the bad. Try researching these things and shed a tear for the 20,000,000.

October 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasyC

@Philip

“No, you did in fact state that it came from another thread. quote: “You have added nothing to the topic. Please be quiet. The topic is NOT AH, even though someone brought it up IN THE COMMENTS OF ANOTHER THREAD (as in, not this one). Do not try and turn this into a blog of your own topic choosing. Thank you.” Is your ADD really that bad?"

Interesting you should state that, when you don't know the person. And I agree with this answer:

"@@@@whatever:All of these comments above were taken from “Gadhafi’s autopsy reveals he was shot in head” which is ANOTHER THREAD!Yeesh."

So.....
    Sorry. ^^^ is correct.

October 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Donna?

Scroll-up and read this story. I was quting from THIS story. CNN included comments of the day in THIS story above. sheesh.

October 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Forgot my ©.

October 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Donna?

THIS sory is Libya. One comment quoted was likening Hitler to Gadhafi. I was responding to his comment. And who are you to correct me? You are the queen of 'off-topic'. Look at what you and yours gab about each and every day. Rarely do any of you post more than chit-chat. At least I was replying to what someone had said concering the Libya topic. sheesh

October 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Phillip?

Okay.

October 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rayster123

Why all the fuss? Everybody wanted him dead anyway.

October 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Philip:
    THIS sory is Libya. One comment quoted was likening Hitler to Gadhafi. I was responding to his comment. And who are you to correct me? You are the queen of ‘off-topic’. Look at what you and yours gab about each and every day. Rarely do any of you post more than chit-chat. At least I was replying to what someone had said concering the Libya topic. sheesh

I heard you the first time, and responded.

Are you going to start your baseless attacks on me every time I post something?

I fell like someone needs correcting I will correct them, much in the same way you feel you must correct *everyone*
    Who has a different POV than you.
    Taking potshots at me again, huh?
    I was just reading this thread, not necessarily agreeing with @@@@@@'s initial post.
    Please leave me alone. I've done nothing to you.

October 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Donna?

Okay what? Are you not even intersted in Area 51? Look at the millions of dollars, wasted hours spent, and arguements over wether Area 51 is hidden ALIEN technology or not. It is simply nazi technology brought-back after WW2. All of that time, energy, and money wasted accusing our government of hiding aliens from us could have been saved if the talking heads on TV SHOWed the facts. Another example of people being told to hear what they want to hear. I never did buy-in to that "aliens were here" BS, so I looked into it for myself. It's so easy to do now. And YES you can believe what you are reading from books, because you can put the book down and research what it says! If you find it to be pure BS, THROW THE BOOK AWAY OR GOTO A DIFFERENT WEBSITE. What took hours on microfilm now takes minutes online.

October 24, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Philip:
    Okay to the post
    "Scroll up and read the story."
    I did.
    @history buff was wrong about which thread it was from.

I asked you why you are *again* taking potshots at me, focusing on *me*.

You don't want people doing *you*, why is it perfectly fine for you to do it to *me*?

October 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |