Overheard on CNN.com: Who teaches kids to hate?
A monument honoring the Civil War confederacy stands in the center of Brandon, Mississippi.
October 24th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Who teaches kids to hate?

Exchange of the morning:

"Where does a 19-year old learn such utter hatred, anyway?"–BronxBomber

"This kid learned this bigotry from his family. A kid is not born with hatred in him."–NNWW

"Looks like an easy lesson with cops and school administrators that Brandon has."–UScitizen99

Teen murder suspect carried 'backpack of hatred'

Brandon police and school officials may say that the killing of James Anderson, a black man, was an isolated incident, but others have a different story. Deryl Dedmon and his friends were known for their racist speech and violence, say community members. Dedmon faces murder and hate crime charges in Anderson's death. Many CNN.com readers blamed the parents and the community, too.

jce3227 said, "The truth is, if the camera hadn't caught it all on tape, it would have been lucky if the teens had been charged with a misdemeanor, if anything at all. Make no mistake about it, the only reason (Dedmon) is charged with murder today is because law enforcement had no choice, after the camera caught it on tape."

Brational said, "It's interesting that the school and law enforcement authorities all say there's no problem, but the kids, the parents, the NAACP, the local store owner, and former friends of the accused murderer all say there is a problem, and that it was commonly known. I have news for the police officer who told Deryl's friend that Deryl was "a good kid". Good kids aren't on probation and they don't post racist statements on the internet. I hope that the community of Brandon will have some open discussions about race."

EdJunior said, "They still have segregated prom in Mississippi. What did you expect?They are raising little Nazis over there."

LONDONFOG100 said, "Why weren't the other teens charged? They all knew exactly why they were driving somewhere. I've seen many instances when there was only one actual person who killed the person but the whole group was also charged with murder. I don't think they should be charged with murder but they should be charged with assault. They just got off scott free!"

Liutgard said, "There is a sense of victimhood and entitlement denied that fuels this sort of hate. If I'm not doing well in my life and don't have the things and the opportunities I want, it must be someone else's fault, right?"

chieftech714 said, "In the end, it's fear. Fear is weakness. This young boy had little or nothing going for him except the color of skin, as if that's a bonus. He doesn't appear to be exceptional in any way except his extraordinary level of hate. Where does that come from? A culture of fear and weakness. It's high time that we live up to the "home of the brave" part of the national anthem. All of this kind of crime should be punished severely and discussed publicly. No matter what group is the aggressor or the target."

egosum said, "Racism is taught to the young people, they have to learn it from someone regardless of color. Go back to the parents and relatives of the murderer and there you will find the source. Of course if you hold off until Sunday you will find them all down at the church."

LostinSLC said, "Don't be so sure of that. As a parent myself I can tell you that most of us teach our kids better, but they tend to be influenced by other avenues. Granted this kid needs to face the death penalty, but don't be quick to assume his parents were the cause. Seems to me he was old enough to choose his own path."

ChuckFromAL said, "Dedmon appears to be a sociopath. This entire article supports that."

Epidi said, "Not all southerners share these racist views. This disease knows no boundaries and is not confined to hatred towards blacks. I've seen it from and towards every color of the human rainbow. If you have a cure for this plague, please share it with the rest of the world: We need a vaccine."

urangry said, "There are some folks out there that thinks civil rights legislation has run it's course. I tend to disagree when I hear of stories like this one."

libration said, "Glad to be Canadian."

For those of you who would like to share news and comments that may be off topic, there is now a site where you can do just that. Here's the link:

Open Thread: Talk about the news

1. bigwilliestyles

Oh, I see the problem with my question; allow me to re-phrase: 2 car loads of HUMAN BEINGS committed a premeditated crime that resulted in the death of an innocent HUMAN BEING. Only 2 PARTICIPANTS in this crime were charged with any criminal act; why have the rest of the HUMAN BEINGS that PARTICIPATED in this CRIME not been CHARGED? (There, my question is race neutral.)

October 25, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. bigwilliestyles

Anyone? Hello, is this thing on?

October 25, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. pete

Of course anti-racist is just a code word for anti-white. Even the weakest of kneed liberal bootlickers knows that.

October 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robbo

No one says a neighborhood that is 100% Black needs more diversity.

No one says a neighborhood that is 100% Asian needs more diversity.

No one says a neighborhood that is 100% Oriental needs more diversity.

They are already 100% diverse.

All White neighborhoods and only White neighborhoods always need to be more diverse. White neighborhoods only stop needing to be more diverse when there are no White people left in them.

Diversity is a codeword for White GeNOcide.

October 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Woof

I don't know what part of the country you live in and truly don't care. But in fifty eight years of living I've never lived in an all black neighborhood and never in my mind have has the words white & genocide mixed. With the kind of thinking that you have exhibited just goes to sure that there still is a race problem in this country that exists on all sides of the color line, black, white, yellow and red. That's why this country and the world will never live up to its possible potential as long as petty minds exits.

October 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

we need to stop looking at race. The only thing I care about is that people are legal citizens. We need to crack down on all forgen invaders from the south. Only rednecks have a problem with blacks in there neaghborhoods.

October 26, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. END ALL B ALL

I DON'T LIKE MOST HUMANS REGARDLESS OF RACE.

October 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I'm not a racist, I hate everyone!

October 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FredTT

If you want to commit genocide against white people using demographic policies such as mass immigration and "assimilation" just call yourself an "anti-racist" like the anti-white Establishment,and hope no one will ever accuse you of wrongdoing.

My fellow white citizens are waking up: Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

October 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Martrisus Davis

Days after this event, a woman was killed execution stye in Rankin County. Until an event like this is covered by the media with equal outrage, this country will not move forward.

October 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bigwilliestyles

Still no response to my question; not surprising. There's no way to twist the facts on this one, no 'playing the race card' to be claimed here. 'Just the facts, ma'am. Because the answer is glaringly obvious, even for racism's most fervent apologists: 2 car loads of white teens was too much for 1 Black life.

October 25, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bigwilliestyles

This case does serve the purpose of shining a spotlight on insti.tutionalized racism, and also illuminates my often mentioned (but rarely allowed to post) point that while Blacks can make racial comments, it is impossible for 'Black racism' to exist in this country. Racism is supported by culture, inst.itutions, laws, employment, etc. If that had been 2 car loads if Black teens that killed a white person, there is not a Black person anywhere who is capable of making a decision to only charge 2 of the perpetrators and making it stick. Every one in both vehicles would have been charged with MURDER or ACCESSORY TO MURDER and would currently be behind bars awaiting trial. So the next time one of you 'under cover' racists throw out that 'playing the race card' bs, keep this case in mind and remember this: no one involved in allowing participants in this MURDER to go free was Black, you can bet the farm on that.

October 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kyle H. Davis

I really wish they would use a different image for this article. First, a simple memorial to the Confederate soldiers is not intrinsically racist, and as for the flag... we are talking about the state flag of Mississippi, a state in which 81% of the black voters voted to keep the state flag as is. Why on earth is CNN trying to use 1950's tactics to express racism?

You would think that CNN has learned that racism is not restricted to the south; and accordingly, if there are no confederate memorials in New York City, and the flag of New York has nothing denoting its history in the Confederacy... what images would CNN need to show to express the racism there?

It's not 1950's Mississippi anymore... try using a fresh approach, otherwise any attempt at fixing the problem has lost its direction.

October 26, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • B W Styles

@ Kyle davis: yes, the statue of the confederate soldier IS racist, as is the confederate flag. No amount of 'alternative explanation' will change that. If Mississippi wants to move out of the 1950s, they have only to drag their knuckles to the 21st century; they could start by getting rid of the statue and the flag.

October 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lance

why are blacks given a pass they seem more biggiot than anybody i know .

October 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. humblepie

I have never seen any kind of racism (I'm white) where I grew up and went to highschool. In fact, it wasn't until I entered the military did I see it. It wasn't white against blacks, or browns against yellows. It was blacks against whites. Everyone else didn't care. I didn't get it. I could give a flyin' F what color you are, you could be polka dot and still be cool. But when I think of racism, all I have to do is go back to my ship and relive 4 years of enduring black against white.

October 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |