Overheard on CNN.com: HPV recommendation sparks debate
A CDC committee recommends vaccinations for HPV for boys and young men age 11-21.
October 25th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: HPV recommendation sparks debate

Comment exchange of the day:

“Bravo! Give the True Believers and other spooky types something new to whine about. We could be back in the 14th century and they would be complaining about radical proposals — like hand washing.” - Eideard

“Or bathing more than once every three to six months…” - epicism

“Oh the government forcing you to hand wash? Oh the humanity!! I would rather die of cholera than listen to scientists, doctors, and microbiologists. - Thoughtocrat

HPV vaccine recommended for boys

A federal government advisory committee voted Tuesday to recommend that boys and young men, from age 11 to 21, be vaccinated against the human papilloma virus, commonly referred to as HPV (the No. 1 sexually transmitted disease in the nation).

Many CNN.com readers welcomed the news while other readers said the vaccination for boys was unnecessary. Some argued the recommendations would merely help pharmaceutical companies and others said promoting safe sex was a better solution.

deblee7571 said, “Good move by the CDC! It's the boys without visible symptoms who have infected all the girls in the first place! This is an epidemic that plagues a high percentage of our young people under 30. It's about time we take it out of the closet!”

MindFire07 said, “I'd rather be protected than risk exposure and a full-blown infection. I would much rather follow the advice of doctors and scientists than the ignorant and the witless.”

t0ofly said, “I think it's pretty scary reading the comments on here with everyone saying a simple solution to avoid STDs is to tell your kids not to ever have sex or say ‘wait until you are married to have sex’ or ‘only have sex for procreation.’

"I don't know if you are living in the 1940s or what, but you need to wake up and realize that doesn't work. That hasn't worked in 40 years and it won't ever work in the future. You can attribute it to a godless society or whatever, but that won't really matter when your kid ends up pregnant. I know you told her to pray every night before bed, but guess what? She's a kid. They do stupid things.”

kicflip responded, “Of course it works. We tell all children not to do drugs and not a single person does them.”

jschmurr said, “Come on, people! Obey the state in all matters concerning your own body! After all, citizenship is a privilege, not a right! Wait a minute. ...”

tms420 said, “Sounds like these vaccine manufacturers have some good people lobbying our government.”

pellmellus sadi, “Well in truth there are really two basic cultures in America. The more traditional one that does not need their kids getting an STD vaccine, and then there's the other America that does.”

MatarLaRaza said, “Who said it was safe to vaccinate our daughters? The research proves the opposite!”

Claravoyant4 responded, “MatarLaRaza, what research? Go to YouTube and type in: Gina Ogilvie HPV. That will give you all the research you need.”

jdelagado54 said, “I wonder how many cancer viruses or other deadly chemicals are lurking in this vaccine. What a JOKE. My kids will OPT OUT of any of this IDIOCY.”

Bobby56 said, “Big Pharma knows best.”

mihoda responded, “Those damn ‘experts’ telling us what to do in a field of study that they devote their entire lives to. Somebody needs to stand up to these experts!"

Elexsor responded, “Um ... this is promoted by the federal government advisory committee and approved by the CDC and ACIP to start as early as age 9. The drug is approved by the FDA. The chairman of the Department of Preventative Medicine at Vanderbilt University (who was at the CDC meeting as an adviser) explained why there was a big push now. Where again did you see that big pharma said this is the right thing to do?”

shalurkdows said, “This is a vaccine that, when it comes down to it, cures cancer. With minimal side effects. Everyone should get this and we should be thankful for it.”

snarkjeg responded, “Actually, it doesn't cure cancer. It prevents cancer, which is even better!”

DeeeNYC responded, “Supposedly prevents one specific cancer. Possibly causes another. Who knows? You can take your kids and give them more vaccines; I think I'll keep my family away from injecting them with more drugs.”

sparkedfire said, “Don't go around having sex with everyone. Problem solved.”

Scooter111 responded, “Since the world has about 7 billion people the ‘no sex’ solution is clearly no solution at all. Vaccine and sanity YES. Insane and utopian nonsense NO.”

SNL’s Darrell Hammond reveals painful past

When "Saturday Night Live" alum Darrell Hammond came to CNN to discuss his career and new book, the interview took a dark turn when he revealed details of his painful childhood. Physically abused by his mother, the actor engaged in self mutilation and was eventually hospitalized.

Most CNN.com readers applauded the actor for having the strength to admit to having a troubled past.

lawyerman1 said, “Wow. Few things touch me like that. He's incredibly brave. I admire him and feel very bad for him all at the same time.

moreorless33 said, “ I just lost my dad. I thought a lot about the childhood I had and the stories we now hear; as part of his eulogy I expressed my utmost gratitude for the happy childhood I had, free of abuse, free of cares. I have come to realize that a lot of people can't claim that. It is my father's greatest accomplishment, coming from Nazi capture in Poland to a new life in the U.S., and raising four kids on a laborer's payroll - he gave us the most innocent happy childhood any kid could wish for. This is so sad for Darrell but all too common. A sad comment on humanity as a whole.”

dgates275 said, “Tough dude. To be able to work through this kind of abuse is a sign of internal strength. Congratulations to you Darrell. May you find peace in your life.”

ShrinkWrap said, “I don't care if he is telling his story to sell his book. He went through hell and my heart goes out to him. What he is doing may actually help someone else. The man has balls.”

TinaK said, “I admire Mr. Hammond for sharing the awful truth about his childhood and the toll it has taken. Having been raised in a loving family, it breaks my heart to know that some kids are exposed to pain and degradation by others, even worse when it's their parents. I wish I had answers to why people do these things, and how we can make it stop.”

Tracipro said, “Writing a book about your past can be cathartic and allow you to finally find your voice. Darrell, if you're reading this, I think you're an amazing person. Thank you for sharing your story and in turn helping thousands of others who are living with the shame and isolation that I'm sure you were. I think you're really funny and I was touched by your story.”

geraci897 said, “Looking at your interview, I couldn't help but to make an account just so I can say that YOUR MOM NEVER WON!!

"You got through the horrors she forced upon you. You didn't give up, and you have grown to be a person with amazing character and strength. You make millions of people laugh every day and make them feel good about themselves. You have an astonishing gift and I hope you the best. I know you probably don't go around searching comment boards, but I felt I had to say something.”

GuitarGuyMV said, “It takes a lot of courage to deal with this issue publicly. I have more respect for Darrell Hammond now. Always loved his comedy!”

Eskimo1144 said, “A great reminder that the cycle of abuse must be acknowledged and STOPPED. It destroys human souls. I'm glad he has spoken out. He is one funny and talented guy and I hope nothing but the best for him!”

Open Thread: Talk about the news

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. Harmony

Well, if the *CDC* said that, it *must* be true.

October 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Elizabeth

Here is a database of STD's if you are researching http://www.WeBuildDatabases.com

October 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Vaccinate them.
    Either that, or teach the children some better prayers.

October 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric of Reseda

Disease is nature's way of saying "cease & desist". If we bypass a couple millions years of genetic coding and say, "No, do all the things that cause disease! By all means! We'll just keep shooting you full of more and more powerful drugs to fight whatever it is your body is fighting.", hten we risk really messing things up on any number of health levels, from personal to public. We have to start living more healthily as a species. More drugs is simply, intelligently, NOT the answer.

October 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

Well my man if we don't procreate there will be none of us left to debate the subject! "Nature's way of saying .....,ta...ta....ya".

October 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believe me...

Human disease is caused by concentrating populations in an agricultural society. Hunter Gatherers have the lost disease rates anywhere in the world with the exceptions of macro parasites and some micro parasites (malaria). Therefore the obvious solution to preventing disease is to return to our style of living 50,000 years ago. Stone Age here we come.

October 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Well, Eric, I do agree that it would be better if we could avoid any further activities involving s-
    ex.
    Far, far better...

October 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kasey

The day the doctors and scientists give this vaccine to THEIR children is the day I'll give it to mine.

October 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What makes you think they aren't?

October 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

And when your daughter at 21, looks you in the eye and says her doctor found cervical cancer you.....what do you do?

October 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Consensus

kasey will probably tell her it's her own fault for doing "the bad thing."

October 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believe me...

I am an 18 year old guy and my parents are both doctors. They encouraged me to get the vaccine and I did. Not only will it protect me against some rare forms of cancer but it will protect my partners as well. Win win.

October 25, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Info Warrior

Hmmm, I wonder what type of cancer this vaccine has in it and I wonder how many of these kids will be able to have babies when the time comes. Don't you get it people...do not trust vaccines in the year 2011 the industry has been taken over by a whole bunch of murderous psychos.

October 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Take a breath, Priscilla. You're hyperventilating.

October 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Harmony

Hello, JIF.
    It's been a tough day for me.
    How are you?

Eric in Reseda:
    I agree with you on a number of things; if we live healthier, there wouldn't need to be so many drugs.
    That being said, human nature being what it is, this vaccine wouldn't be necessary if people exhibited better self-control.

October 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat2u

Dang, the shot hurts already just looking at those needles.
    But seriously, if this vaccine does what it proposes, then it is well worth it.
    Previous vaccines have virtuallt eradicated polio, small pox, diptheria, whooping cough etc.
    They even have vaccines for pneumonia now. That and the flu vaccines doesn't mean you won't get it, but it will make the symptoms more tolerable. So I would advise taking it. As a disclaimer, let me assure this is JMHO.

October 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Consensus

Wow. A voice of reason. Who'd have guessed?

October 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Harmony

Hello, Herkimer.
    How is my favorite firefighter?
    I agree with you, however, there have been 10 cases of whooping cough diagnosed in my area recently.
    Most of them have been vaccinated...
    Perhaps there is a more virulent strain, I don't know.
    If I had to do it all again, I would still get my kids vaccinated.
    My granddaughter has been as well, and my daughter is the most precautious kid on the planet.
    She researches *everything*, so...
    I 've got to say this newest one can't be *that* bad of a thing; especially if boys get it, too.

October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

This is just something I thought of.

If the parents are already infected with HPV, can it be passed to the child ?
    Just asking, because I don't know.

October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Harmony, hi.
    Are you who I think you are?
    Do you store rods?
    This day, ironically, I had a flu shot. 🙂 I never have a reaction, but I did to this one. It's over now.

October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 3rd grader

Mommy and Daddy are bumping uglies with the neighbors and they have pronmornogravity hidden under their bed and in the laundry room. Do I have to grow up to be like them? It looks like a lot of other kids had to.

October 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat2u

@Harmony
    It's good to hear from you. I wondered where you were hiding today.
    I'm doing very well, thank you. How about yourself ?

October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Harmony, now I know. I read the first post.

October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |