Overheard on CNN.com: HPV recommendation sparks debate
A CDC committee recommends vaccinations for HPV for boys and young men age 11-21.
October 25th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: HPV recommendation sparks debate

Comment exchange of the day:

“Bravo! Give the True Believers and other spooky types something new to whine about. We could be back in the 14th century and they would be complaining about radical proposals — like hand washing.” - Eideard

“Or bathing more than once every three to six months…” - epicism

“Oh the government forcing you to hand wash? Oh the humanity!! I would rather die of cholera than listen to scientists, doctors, and microbiologists. - Thoughtocrat

HPV vaccine recommended for boys

A federal government advisory committee voted Tuesday to recommend that boys and young men, from age 11 to 21, be vaccinated against the human papilloma virus, commonly referred to as HPV (the No. 1 sexually transmitted disease in the nation).

Many CNN.com readers welcomed the news while other readers said the vaccination for boys was unnecessary. Some argued the recommendations would merely help pharmaceutical companies and others said promoting safe sex was a better solution.

deblee7571 said, “Good move by the CDC! It's the boys without visible symptoms who have infected all the girls in the first place! This is an epidemic that plagues a high percentage of our young people under 30. It's about time we take it out of the closet!”

MindFire07 said, “I'd rather be protected than risk exposure and a full-blown infection. I would much rather follow the advice of doctors and scientists than the ignorant and the witless.”

t0ofly said, “I think it's pretty scary reading the comments on here with everyone saying a simple solution to avoid STDs is to tell your kids not to ever have sex or say ‘wait until you are married to have sex’ or ‘only have sex for procreation.’

"I don't know if you are living in the 1940s or what, but you need to wake up and realize that doesn't work. That hasn't worked in 40 years and it won't ever work in the future. You can attribute it to a godless society or whatever, but that won't really matter when your kid ends up pregnant. I know you told her to pray every night before bed, but guess what? She's a kid. They do stupid things.”

kicflip responded, “Of course it works. We tell all children not to do drugs and not a single person does them.”

jschmurr said, “Come on, people! Obey the state in all matters concerning your own body! After all, citizenship is a privilege, not a right! Wait a minute. ...”

tms420 said, “Sounds like these vaccine manufacturers have some good people lobbying our government.”

pellmellus sadi, “Well in truth there are really two basic cultures in America. The more traditional one that does not need their kids getting an STD vaccine, and then there's the other America that does.”

MatarLaRaza said, “Who said it was safe to vaccinate our daughters? The research proves the opposite!”

Claravoyant4 responded, “MatarLaRaza, what research? Go to YouTube and type in: Gina Ogilvie HPV. That will give you all the research you need.”

jdelagado54 said, “I wonder how many cancer viruses or other deadly chemicals are lurking in this vaccine. What a JOKE. My kids will OPT OUT of any of this IDIOCY.”

Bobby56 said, “Big Pharma knows best.”

mihoda responded, “Those damn ‘experts’ telling us what to do in a field of study that they devote their entire lives to. Somebody needs to stand up to these experts!"

Elexsor responded, “Um ... this is promoted by the federal government advisory committee and approved by the CDC and ACIP to start as early as age 9. The drug is approved by the FDA. The chairman of the Department of Preventative Medicine at Vanderbilt University (who was at the CDC meeting as an adviser) explained why there was a big push now. Where again did you see that big pharma said this is the right thing to do?”

shalurkdows said, “This is a vaccine that, when it comes down to it, cures cancer. With minimal side effects. Everyone should get this and we should be thankful for it.”

snarkjeg responded, “Actually, it doesn't cure cancer. It prevents cancer, which is even better!”

DeeeNYC responded, “Supposedly prevents one specific cancer. Possibly causes another. Who knows? You can take your kids and give them more vaccines; I think I'll keep my family away from injecting them with more drugs.”

sparkedfire said, “Don't go around having sex with everyone. Problem solved.”

Scooter111 responded, “Since the world has about 7 billion people the ‘no sex’ solution is clearly no solution at all. Vaccine and sanity YES. Insane and utopian nonsense NO.”

SNL’s Darrell Hammond reveals painful past

When "Saturday Night Live" alum Darrell Hammond came to CNN to discuss his career and new book, the interview took a dark turn when he revealed details of his painful childhood. Physically abused by his mother, the actor engaged in self mutilation and was eventually hospitalized.

Most CNN.com readers applauded the actor for having the strength to admit to having a troubled past.

lawyerman1 said, “Wow. Few things touch me like that. He's incredibly brave. I admire him and feel very bad for him all at the same time.

moreorless33 said, “ I just lost my dad. I thought a lot about the childhood I had and the stories we now hear; as part of his eulogy I expressed my utmost gratitude for the happy childhood I had, free of abuse, free of cares. I have come to realize that a lot of people can't claim that. It is my father's greatest accomplishment, coming from Nazi capture in Poland to a new life in the U.S., and raising four kids on a laborer's payroll - he gave us the most innocent happy childhood any kid could wish for. This is so sad for Darrell but all too common. A sad comment on humanity as a whole.”

dgates275 said, “Tough dude. To be able to work through this kind of abuse is a sign of internal strength. Congratulations to you Darrell. May you find peace in your life.”

ShrinkWrap said, “I don't care if he is telling his story to sell his book. He went through hell and my heart goes out to him. What he is doing may actually help someone else. The man has balls.”

TinaK said, “I admire Mr. Hammond for sharing the awful truth about his childhood and the toll it has taken. Having been raised in a loving family, it breaks my heart to know that some kids are exposed to pain and degradation by others, even worse when it's their parents. I wish I had answers to why people do these things, and how we can make it stop.”

Tracipro said, “Writing a book about your past can be cathartic and allow you to finally find your voice. Darrell, if you're reading this, I think you're an amazing person. Thank you for sharing your story and in turn helping thousands of others who are living with the shame and isolation that I'm sure you were. I think you're really funny and I was touched by your story.”

geraci897 said, “Looking at your interview, I couldn't help but to make an account just so I can say that YOUR MOM NEVER WON!!

"You got through the horrors she forced upon you. You didn't give up, and you have grown to be a person with amazing character and strength. You make millions of people laugh every day and make them feel good about themselves. You have an astonishing gift and I hope you the best. I know you probably don't go around searching comment boards, but I felt I had to say something.”

GuitarGuyMV said, “It takes a lot of courage to deal with this issue publicly. I have more respect for Darrell Hammond now. Always loved his comedy!”

Eskimo1144 said, “A great reminder that the cycle of abuse must be acknowledged and STOPPED. It destroys human souls. I'm glad he has spoken out. He is one funny and talented guy and I hope nothing but the best for him!”

Open Thread: Talk about the news

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. Scottish Mama

Hi fmr. bobcat2u-What is JP4 fuel ?
    Hi, s kel.

October 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Today's STD'

The very same promisuous behavior that children observed their parents either getting involved in by cheating on each other or by watching movies and looking at magazines featuring this promiscuous behevior is what spreads all STD's. This promicuous behavior is so rampant, that the AIDS epidemic is now classified as pandemic by the CDC. only a fool thinks that condoms can prevent the spread of STD's. You've been wearing condoms for years yet the diseases spread, even to pandemic proportions now. Get a clue. Abstinance is the only option that offers true protection.

October 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Everyone knows abstinence is the best preventative. Philip? But we are human and animals, though thinking is suppose to be one of our asset, some rarely do.

October 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HERKIMER SCHWARTZ (artist formerly known as bobcat2u)

Hey Scottish Mama

JP4 is actualy a jet fuel. It's what powered our helicopters. I'm assuming it still does.

October 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

And you would run thru it? And what was it contaminated with? Something that would hurt you?(like agent orange)?

October 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

Hi guys hope you guys didnt think I WAS being pushy the other nite when i gave out my number really bobcat aka herkimor and scottish moma.Just thought it would be a easier way of talking at least that is what skel banasy raven and myself have found

October 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Hey Gung I was watching the game and later saw it. I pondered it for a while the next day and thought I would post something the next time I saw your post. While I watch and post sometimes, I like the mystery and find it easier to speak politically with all of you than with my own friends. So if I may right now I rather have the tay to tay with you all. I like and respect the opinions of all of you. But I like the aminimity that lets me speak freely and you to me.

October 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

Herk do you live near Chauvin LA?

October 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. HERKIMER SCHWARTZ (artist formerly known as bobcat2u)

It could be contaminated with just about anything like water, dust etc. Anything that would cause the helicopters tubine to malfunction, the fuel had to be emptied.
    It was always a dangerous excercise. But you always keep your senses about you.
    The way it worked is, I would have men behind me with two inch and a half lines opening a path into the flames while I directed my man with the one reel line through the wall of fire. We would ease our way to the other side and then ease our way back out. Very scary and exciting all at once.

October 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Dangerous and daring, sounds like a firefighter in the making.

October 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • HERKIMER SCHWARTZ (artist formerly known as bobcat2u)

Yeah, that's how it all began. But I think the most dangerous ones were the structural. With forest fires following very closely. Me singing, The hills were alive with the smell of fire ash.
      But now those days are memories.

October 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

But memories and sharing them with children makes them real and teaches them your gift.

October 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cjb122

The cheapest and most reliable:

The Keepin'YoDro'sOn Vaccine

October 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Or keeping the diseases from speading.

October 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HERKIMER SCHWARTZ (artist formerly known as bobcat2u)

@Scottish Mama
    I live more towards Mobile, al. now.

@gung hoe

It's all good my friend.

October 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dragonex

When the vaccination first came out it was for young girls. With promiscuity of the young generation I thought that young males should have been vaccinated also. Apparently my thoughts were correct. However, I now have reservations on the future effect of these vaccinations, when our youth start having children. Hopefully our youth will have safe pregnancies and bear healthy children.

October 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

They do have healthy children. I worry more about adhd children, the cause, and who will look out for them when their parents pass. Though I have hope because I saw that the apps Jobs has put together gives them some way to communicate.

October 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

MAN, EVERYTHING THATS FUN OR TASTE GOOD KILLS YA .I JUST CANT WIN!

October 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I live, love, and care for others without regret. Death comes to us all. I have had 3 near death and do not fear it.

October 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gung hoe

@ moma thanks for the responce.Which i do respect should you ever change your mind let me know we love you AND GO CARDS DARNIT ANY TEAM THAT BEAT MY TIGERS I REALLY DONT LIKE

October 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Thanks Gung, I really wanted to play and be able to spar with you about it. What the heck happened when Pujols was on base? That was a major f-up? Sometimes Larussa makes me scream.

October 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Harmony

Il n'a pas d'âme.

October 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I ususally look all this up from Banasy and Joey, I am lazy tonight What?

October 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dragonex

I agree scottish momma. I worry for the autistic and add/adhd youth. Its a misfortune for Jobs to have to leave so soon. He did have a great gift with his mind.

October 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Just think if everyone was as driven as he was. I have ideas and wif on them.

October 25, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

WHO IS THIS DRAGONEX? TALK TO ME ,NEVER SEEN YOU ARE YOU ATROLL? ARE YOU COOL OR SOMETHING ELSE?

October 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Harmony

Hello, Mama.
    I'm alive. 😉

Chrissy had a massive heart attack and actually coded in the ambulance.
    They got her heart started again, but now she has burns from the paddle.

And no, contary to a very stupid rumor, she and I did not 'cook this up'.
    Souless parasites *would* think that, however.

She is resting at home.