October 26th, 2011

Inquest: Singer Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning

Singer Amy Winehouse's death this summer was the result of alcohol poisoning, an inquest ruled Wednesday, as it reached a verdict of "death by misadventure."

A pathologist told a coroner's court in north London that alcohol toxicity was the cause of the 27-year-old's death, with her blood-alcohol levels measured at more than five times the legal limit for driving.

The Grammy award-winning artist, who had battled with alcohol and drug abuse over several years, was found dead at her north London home July 23.

Testimony at her inquest showed no traces of illegal drugs in Winehouse's system - but more details emerged about her losing battle with alcohol.

Winehouse's physician, Dr. Christina Romete, said she saw Winehouse at 7 p.m. the day before she died, when the singer was tipsy but still able to hold a conversation.

Asked when she was going to stop drinking, Winehouse replied that she would call Romete over the weekend to discuss it, the physician said.

Winehouse was determined to do things her own way, including therapy, Romete said, but was aware of the risks of alcohol abuse.

FULL STORY
  1. banasy©

I figured as much.
    That was the conclusion I drew after it was stated there were no drugs in her system, and her death wasn't due to a heart attack.
    I'll be the first to say it; she should have said yes, yes, yes to rehab.

October 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Pringles Moustache

@ banasy... Why do you always say exactly what I would expect a stupid a**hole 2 say? Have some potato chips and a smile and STFU. You say yes, yes, yes 2 cake; frequently. @ CNN... Who cares about an ugly talentless crack whhore that- surprise- overdosed. I recall a few other celebrities with a whole lot more to live 4 dying around the same time and they barely got a headline.

October 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karma Police

Do you always go around as a bad 70s p*o*r*n star stache pretending you have something interesting to say?? You do? Ohhhhhhhhh, it" becoming clearer........you're a douch. Never mind. Carry on, Massengil.

October 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Well, then your expectation was fulfilled, wasn't it, cupcake?
    Why did you click on the link, dear?
    To say crack w*h*o*r*e?
    I expected nothing less from a fellow ass hole.

October 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

As you say yes, yes, yes to perching on your Pringles can, frequently.

October 26, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

lmao and i was just gonna say p.d. should read this and wise up guess i shoulda included mary lol

October 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Ah, chrissy, you know that every time someone posts a negative thing, it is blamed on me.
    I suppose that I will next be accused of writing the above to myself.
    Such is the paranoid mind.
    Let's not mention them, shall we?
    Not really necessary, when they're always apparent.

October 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

ill do my best just 4 u but cant promise anything ok.

October 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

and by the way p.d. was for pimp dummy in my house

October 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@chrissy:
    Lmao. I forgot that *I* pointed that out to *you*!

October 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

Man phillp oh sorry i mentioned his name .But what is your major malfunction weird drugs or youve come off psch meds without docs approval.But phillip really im concerned for you please go back and read some of your writings

October 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Hi, gung hoe.
    How are you?

@Karma Police:
    Ewww. Descriptive much?

October 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. gung hoe

Now to get on subject I certainly can understand the euphoria of a
    Life on alchohol.I myself being a alchoholic have came close to doing what she did on more than one occasion!And if it wasnt for my wife I probably would be dead also.Clean and dry 24yrs

October 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, "No, no, no"
    Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know, know, know
    I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fine
    He's tried to make me go to rehab, I won't go, go, go

October 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@gung hoe:
    Really? That's quite an accomplishment!
    I'm glad to are here today to testify that it *can* be done.

So how's that whole heroin thing going for ya?

*Disclaimer: THIS IS A JOKE! DO NOT TAKE THAT LAST LINE SERIOUSLY! To do so would be a testiment of a humorless tool.*

October 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dragonex

Good evening to all.

Its sad when celebrity musicians have to escape to alcohol and/or drugs. Being haunted and harassed by the paparizzi and general public forces them to limitations on "normal life" style living. She did have talent and a good singing voice. Even Tony Bennet saw her talent when he performed a duet with her. Celebrity status has its price. Some embrace it and some escape from it.

October 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |