October 26th, 2011

Yemeni women burn veils in protest

Yemeni women defiantly burned their traditional veils Wednesday in protest of President Ali Abdullah Saleh's brutal crackdown on anti-government demonstrations.

Thousands of women gathered in the capital, Sanaa, said witnesses. They carried banners that read: "Saleh the butcher is killing women and is proud of it" and "Women have no value in the eyes in Ali Saleh."

They collected veils and scarves in a huge pile and set it ablaze in an act that is highly symbolic in the conservative Islamic nation.

More than 60 women were attacked in October alone by the government, said protester Ruqaiah Nasser. Government forces are raiding homes and also killing children, she said.

"We will not stay quiet and will defend ourselves if our men can't defend us," she said. "

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World • World Update • Yemen
  1. banasy©

chrissy!
    How are you today, love?
    Feeling any better?

October 26, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

much! i slept pretty good for a change. 🙂 course nurse ratchet will be here soon and that will end whats started out as a good day lol

October 26, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

You go ladies!
    Chrissy, glad to see you up and posting. Nurse R. lol

October 26, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

hey crissy how are you? Better i hope.

October 26, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chinamen

"There is no reasoning with a 'dick'" she says, and makes a valid point. Women burned their brazziers back in the 60s just as this Yemini woman took-off her mask. "Empowered" woman taking off their bra's did NOT lead to women being better treated nor better protected. The sezxual revolution that follwed led to free-seyx and drugs which led to STDs becoming spread through promiscuity AND the sharing of needles by the druggies. (yet, she thinks calling someone a 'dick' is reasonable. Exactly as women back in the 60s thought that burning their bra was the reasonable thing to do. All that ended-up happening was women began "reaoning" with dick's to the point of a baby boom, and of STDs to the point of HIV epidemic and beyond...HIV is now a panedmic in the USA.)

October 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Shut up. You talk too much.

October 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Something like that.
    What I should have said was a stiff dick has no conscience.
    Cap it before you tap it.
    (I wasn't calling anyone a dick, but now that you mention it...I was going with the spirit of the thread)
    We all know capping it doesn't prevent HIV, but it *does* prevent pregnancy, and it shouldn't fall on the woman to prevent all the baddies, when men freely and willingly partake.
    (Any reasonable person would agree, I should think)
    Although I do love the giant leap from a protest gesture leading to the fall of the human race (which is what happens when one gold-medals in conclusion-jumping)
    Now quit nit-picking everything I say. (A futile request, as one with any cognitive reasoning knows.)
    So in summary, I don't really think that the veil-burning protests will lead to a mass population boom in the near future (no matter how one tries to tie that in)

October 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chinamen

Condoms are not even 100% effective at stopping unwanted pregnancies. (read the fine print on your box of condoms) ABOORTION is, however, 100% effective. (and you did in fact refer to me as a 'dick'. You posted "there is no reasoning with a dick", and now claim that "capping" a dick is the reasonable thing to do! Wearing a condom does help to prevent the spread of the dreaded baby disease. But does nothing to prevent the spread of STD's, especially AIDS. (Anger is 'expressed hurt' deary. You can blame a blogger for your hurt, but that would not be very reasonable. What's hurting you got covered-up with pharmaceuticals. The pain remains, you just rarely feel it unless someone points-out the source of your pain. Like a headache...aspirin does not make the headache go away, it just keeps you from feeling it and eventually your body will develop migraine headaches trying to yell at you to STOP taking pills to deal with your pain.

October 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Everybody hates you. You're crazy. Go see a psychiatrist.

October 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

I just wrote a little history of bra Burning at the Atlanta Pageant ot 1968, which they could not burn because they did nothave a permit.
    But Cnn. chose not to print it. The Freedom Trrash Can-They also tried to burn false eyelashes, high heels, corsets, makeup hairspray and playboy.
    Oppression of Women was the message. But was Bra Burning and s -e ' x reference from the opposition that made it seem about that and not oppression.

October 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Oh, sorry, 97.9%.
    My bad.
    I'm so glad you read the fine print on the condom boxes you refuse to purchase.
    (And no, in fact, I didn't call you a dick. You give yourself way too much credit thinking I would waste a perfectly good insult on you)
    You are frequently wrong in your analysis of me, laughable, really, if I didn't pity you so much. Indeed, I am feeling ever. More sorry for you, day by day.
    In any case, I am not angry with you; you have no power over me. So please, stop focusing on me. Again.
    After all, it's what you hate people doing to *you*, right?

October 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chinaman

@ 'I'm angry'...hundreds of people come to these blogs each and every day. You and your partisan microblogging friends are the only ones that post hatred for me. My views stand-out here on CNN because most of CNN viewers are liberal minded individuals. You are the one who stand's out here the most. Unless you or one of your microblogging friends pose as anonymous charachters and begin spouting hatred for me, your "Everybody hates you" post will be the only one projecting your hatred in my direction. It is YOU who need to seek therapy rather than pills. I've been in therapy for years and years...but my case was a bit more difficult than the average. I was abused over and over again by a trusted member of my own family...an 'holy man', and my family just watched, called me a liar, and deny the abuse to this very day. Every member of my extended family are mostly addicted to prescribed pharmaceuticals. Some are addicted to booze and/or promiscuos seyz...one is addicted to crystal-meth..all of them are addicted to aspirin. These pills and chosen activities only mask the pain. The pain remains like a seed that sprouts into hatred once it is watered.

October 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Your family is right. You are a liar. Fire your shrink. He's not helping.

October 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:
    I had a response to your post, but CNN is being persnickity today.
    I agree with you're assessment.
    People have taken that symbol of bra-burning, meant to portray the shedding of subjugation, and turned it into something mostly as reprehensible as the act it was protesting against.
    I truly hope Yemen takes notice of their oppressive practices towards women, but I doubt they will; it hasn't been completely shed *here* yet.

October 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chinaman

I wear no condom. I've been celibate for over 5 years now. And before that, i only slipped twice during the previous 10 years. I was even more promiscuous than the avg. CNN blogger before that. But then I stopped taking drugs to deal with my pain. The proof is in the pudding. I am drug free, and am not worried about myself when it comes to pharmaceutical addictions.

I am concerned for the sake of others though, and am amazed that I am the only one who ever brings-up the most dreaded blight to ever hit America, the AIDS pandemic. Not to mention the obesity epidemic that only I ever bring-up here. Liberal minded people are famous for being liberal when it comes to seyz...and many liberals suffer from obesity. I find it odd that whenever I bring up either of these topics, rather than one of you "news bloggers" discussing these vital issues, all I get is partisan microblogging chit-chat clatter concerning zip-squat. Not talking about something will not make it go away. Nor will calling me childish names or referring to me as a 'dick'. It will only let me know that I hit a nerve, and am seeing some progress for all my hard work. It can be hard sometimes when everyone in the room is throwing rocks. But almost all of them just bounce off and go back to where they came from. I'm not going anywhere soon, in other words. So you might as well face me.

October 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

What does pills have to do with protest?

October 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Start taking your prescriptions again. You're too hostile. Maybe your good family will commit you if you don't.

October 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • the Duke

What? You're actually proud that over the course of 10 years you only molested two boys? ONLY 2? What about all of us normal people who never molested any? What a bloody sicko.

October 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

@Banasy-Yeah I know. It is kind of silly to act like children and not let you say certain words pertaining to what *their* (CNN) post is about.
    The Veil to condom post, Philip, is taking away from the message that these women are trying to portray.(the killing of their children). What I posted was to say the message is always taken from the women and given derogatory meaning by an outsider and never taken serious by most men, usualy, because it is non violent but subdued, women are less than, and often women are not taken seriously. You of all people at one time being abused and powerless, I thought would maybe understand or identify with the ongoing plight of women.

October 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chinaman

...and now I shall return to work. It's very difficult to create jobs these days, as you know. And what makes it even more difficult, is when an applicant carrying an HS diploma spells the word 'house' H-O-W-S-E. True story. I still hired the kid...ut he only lasted a few weeks. he was genuinely stupid, yet had an HS diploma from the same HS I attended as a youngster! There were four signatures on his diploma, so I took a copy of it and went down to the HS. I waited for over an hour to see the head councelor...and he thaought that I was crazy! He thought there was something wrong with ME for tking the time to get in his face. Those four signatures on Johhny's diploma were the liars, not me. He was a "no child left behind" student, and was just as dumbed-down as Dubya Bush was/is.

Take care. See ya 'round.

October 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

He was a trained professional. He was right. You are nuts.

October 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chinaman

@Scottish Mama...I have just observed how the women's liberal movement was followed by the sezxual revolution that brought about the baby boom that brought about legalized abortion to deal with it.

And I have just observed how the sezxual revolution was followed by the crabs infestation followed by herpes followed by AIDS that has condoms with french ticklers to deal with it. What? Tickle the virus to death? What? To a tiny HIV virus, a condom looks like a fishing net.

I do not believe that the mind of a liberal woman should be taking the lead of this country any longer.

October 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

I don't think you were molested. I think you tried to molest the "holy man" and he rebuffed you.

October 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

The men coming home from war started the baby boom, not the trial to become equal in the workforce, not to be oppressed by our gender, and be paid an equal wage.
      What does condoms, crabs, herpes and HIV, have to do with women burning their veils.
      I don't think a white man should be still taking the lead and speaking for my body, my right to vote, or tell me how to raise children I bore.

October 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |