October 26th, 2011

Yemeni women burn veils in protest

Yemeni women defiantly burned their traditional veils Wednesday in protest of President Ali Abdullah Saleh's brutal crackdown on anti-government demonstrations.

Thousands of women gathered in the capital, Sanaa, said witnesses. They carried banners that read: "Saleh the butcher is killing women and is proud of it" and "Women have no value in the eyes in Ali Saleh."

They collected veils and scarves in a huge pile and set it ablaze in an act that is highly symbolic in the conservative Islamic nation.

More than 60 women were attacked in October alone by the government, said protester Ruqaiah Nasser. Government forces are raiding homes and also killing children, she said.

"We will not stay quiet and will defend ourselves if our men can't defend us," she said. "

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World • World Update • Yemen
  1. banasy©

@chinaman:
    Just as we do not tell you what to chat about, you haven't the right to tell us, either.
    If you don't like our posts, feel free to ignore them as we ignore yours.
    I'm not going anywhere either; face it, you haven't any more right to tell me what to say any more than I have the right to tell you what to say.
    You post the same things everyday; no one else brings them up because it would be redundant.
    Show me where I called you a dick.
    Show me.
    Don't tell me to scroll up; I know what I said, and it wasn't' pertaining to you.
    You keep bringing it up, thought, and that just tells me that *I* hit the nerve.
    I guess you must see yourself there, somewhere.
    I don't know what you think you work pertaining to me is, but please be aware that any help you think I need is wholly imagined by you and is baseless.
    I have given you far too much of my attention today, and I will give you no further. To do so will just keep feeding you insatiable hunger for attention.

October 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat2u

@chrissy

I am so happy to hear you're feeling better. Don't let Nurse Ratchett get to you. Ding Ding Ding, Time for your meds.
    Hello everybody else.

October 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

I am sorry you have only slipped twice since we are all s– ual beings. I think you have gone totally in the other direction of being normal. But your normal may not be everyone elses normal. Slipping is not a weakness it is being human, with wanting to have human contact. Maybe it isolates you and makes you unable to comnunicate on a level of caring, but of a level of harshness and rigid thought? Just sayin. And caling people microbloggers belittles our thoughts and makes your opinions more important?
    Obesity is not only liberal problem only, The tea party crowd had way more fat people than the occupy crowd,

October 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Good point.
    Observations are opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

I do not believe that hypocritical ultra-conservative quasi-religious men should be leading this country, either.

October 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karma Police

Yee Haw!!!!

October 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • - Rent this space -

WHOOP WHOOP

– My screen name can be yours for $19.99 per post. That's right, your corporate name on CNN discussion boards for only $19.99 per post. –

October 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I fail to see what espousing wearing of a condom is being foolhard, but again, that is an opinion wholly owned by the individual.

October 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chinamen

"partisan microblogging" is not a term that I made-up. Google it. Prior to the ADD epidemic, people used to write long letters to congressmen, and for years online, the average person would post lengthy comments pertaining to the issues of the day. Now, people mostly just post many little posts instead of just a few lengthy ones. ADD (attention deficit disorder) is just as real as AIDS is, but the sunject never arises here. When I bring these subjects up, I am accused of focusing on someone who suffers from one of these conditions, or I am yelled at for being off-topic by someone who almost exlusively just comes here to chit-chat about nothing important. (anyway...back to worky)

October 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Or maybe you were molested but you enjoyed it and came back for more. And he got tired of you. And you can't take the rejection.

October 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

“Saleh the butcher is killing women and is proud of it” and “Women have no value in the eyes in Ali Saleh.”

I hope they succeed in their message.
    It is important to realize that demonizing these women really only belittles the men trying to do it.
    One day, though, one day...

October 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chinamen

...like whichever one of you are posting as 'im angry'. That is totally childish for an adult, and is a symptom of ADD and child abuse. What can it possibly accomplish. Good day, ladies. Try to remain on topic? he he

October 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I post as I always do, I have no problem. but you always change and put yourself as others, are you childish?
      Really Philip, topic? get real, you would have to take your own advice and I make no bones about shiney objects, I am a multi-tasker.

October 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karma Police

WHAT? A symtom of ADD/ADHD and child abuse?? Are you freakimg KIDDING ME? ROTFLMAO! Tinfoil hat coming your way soon!!!

October 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. I'm angry

And especially if that white man is my husband.

October 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. guest

Is it possibel to click report abuse on the whole thread? Good God.

October 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Only if you stay on topic.lol

October 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

I feel the same way, guest! CNN soarly needs to do something about all these mindless Tea Partiers here never saying anything at all but ruining this discussion for the rest of us!!!

October 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beatrice Patton

The subject is not the TeaParty, Daddy, so s t f u and go find Ruth!

October 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

It's the unknown that's out to get you. He he.

October 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karma Police

Looks like the only subjects we can comment on are the ones CHINAMAN brings up!!! LAMO! This has been the most off-topic thread EVER!!!

October 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chinaman

The topic is a foreign woman from Yemen who had decided to protest. I've related her protest to the protests on Wall Street, and to the womens liberal movement of the 1960s. So far, the OWS protests have been met with brutalality. The liberal womens movement was met with free seyz and drugs, and the baby boom resulting from the rampant increase in promiscuous seyxual activities. The only thing good that came out of the lib movement was legal abortions and the spreading of crabs originally, HIV today. Oh, women were given some token spots as gov. officials, just as an Yemebi woman wins this years Nobel Peace prize. I've been to Yemen. I was there in 1986, and the situation remains the same. Equal rights for women isn't the big deal. Foreign oil corporations control Yemens vast oilfields. Some Yemeinis profit by it, most do not. Their civila war was fought over oil with one side armed by US. Guess which side won. Don't be fooled. It's about men dominating women who crave men, and throwing them a bone.

October 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm angry

Are you back, skippy? Go get yourself some thorazine and chill out.

October 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beatrice Patton

Do you ever read the thread before you go foaming at the mouth? Moron.

October 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Women, Chinaman, Women.

October 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

It's about what men tell themselves to justify the harm they do, to satisfy their own nasty base instincts.
    It has everything to with women's oppression, which has been happening since time began, well before the liberating 60's.

Linking topics is easy; people do it all the time with Kevin Bacon; that doesn't mean it's not a fractured path of thought.
    Which is a sign of ADD/ADHD and child abuse, I understand.

October 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |