October 27th, 2011

4 killed in vehicle attack, Kenya police say

Four people were killed and several injured in an attack on a vehicle carrying government officials transporting school examination papers in northeastern Kenya Thursday, police said.

The incident occurred about 110 kilometers (68 miles) from Mandera, a border town with Somalia, Kenya Police Commissioner Mathew Iteere said. It was unclear who carried out the attack on the car, he said.

Mandera is in a part of Kenya which suffers from chronic insecurity and both banditry and incursions by militant groups are relatively common.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Kenya
  1. s kel

Kenya has been on alert for a terrorist attack. Good intell.

October 27, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I know in the past we haven't heard that much about this before; now it's all in the headlines...while I appreciate the knowledge, I have to wonder why.

October 27, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. billy joe

I bet black people did it. They are always shooting at folks and robbing houses.

October 27, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

I would think it is more awareness on the united States part to be more global, oil, the President Obama connection, and Fmr President Clintons observations and regret he wished he would have done more for the people in that region.

October 27, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:
    I thought of the Obama connection.
    I just don't like to think that the Unites States is always on the prowl to help underdeveloped countries just to get their hands on the oil; I would hope it would be for more altruistic reasons...

October 27, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

@Banasy I would also like to think the best of America. But I think until oil has a competing source of energy that we will be held hostage for our money and be under the oilmans thumb.

October 27, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:

Agreed.
    That we need to get away from our dependence on big oil's largesse goes without saying.
    We need a permanent, lower-cost way to efficient energy, or the things we are seeing in the ME will never be resolved...and I think that people are getting tired of being pawns in the world-wide chess game.

October 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat2u

Just thinking on your discussion of oil.
    Could this be the real reason the 100 "advisors" were sent there ?
    I don't want to think like that either, but these incursions sure could lead one to believe in that scenario.

October 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@bobcat:

I guess it depends on who the "advisors" are...
    If they represent BP or their ilk, I would have to say their presence there if for an entirely different agenda than what was stated.

October 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |