October 27th, 2011

Insurgents attack bases in Afghanistan

Insurgents launched attacks Thursday on a Provincial Reconstruction Team base and a military outpost in Afghanistan, Afghan and NATO officials said.

Three insurgents took positions in a house near a PRT base in Kandahar, said the region's police chief, Salim Ahsas.

Officials killed two of the attackers, but one was "still resisting in the building," Ahsas said.

There were no casualties among PRT or military personnel, Ahsas said.

Lt. Col. Jimmie Cummings, spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force, said the fighting in Kandahar was one of two incidents Thursday.

The second involved a suicide car bomb that exploded outside an ISAF base in the Panjwai region. "There are no ISAF casualties and the base's perimeter was not penetrated," he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • NATO • World
  1. Andreas Moser

Why don't they just wait 2 more years, and we'll be gone anyway?

October 27, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Oh, I'm shocked and appalled.
    Who'dve thunk?

October 27, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Calm down banasy. You seem to be getting overly upset this morning.
      Beathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.
      Ahhh. Do you feel better now ? Good.

October 27, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

People of the United States of America,President Obama and the people of Afghanistan;Well,to paraphrase Mr.Rogers,its just another beautiful day in an Afghanistan Neighborhood.This is just like what the Vietcong did when I was in Vietnam.The only wayto stop them is 1)Find where they are operating out of.2)Send in Special Forces on a night mission and kill everyone.Unfortunity collateral damage occurs.

October 27, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat2u

Get our people out of there now. We are not going to change the way these people have conducted their life for centuries. They are obviously a civilization? who don't care that much about what goes on there. Well, I'm sure that's not true, but their loyalty only lies with those who are in charge at any given moment.
    The taliban know we will leave sooner or later, and they are more than content to wait us out and pick off a few of our soldiers in the meantime.

Good morning banasy.

October 27, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@Frank

In vietnam, our hands were tied by politics and we were not able to do the things you suggest here.

October 27, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Bobcat2u,
      I was in Vietnam from Feb 1968 to March 1972,trust me when I tell you we did alot of things that were very ugly.We could have dropped a Nuke on Hanoi and that was an option , it was turned dowm because it would have brought the Chinese Communits and Soviets in with a huge involement Nixon did not want to risk.

October 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MRockie1

Americans and NATO will never win in Afganistan, 98% of the people don't want Americans there and the Taliban is more popular then American forces. Just take the loss NATO lol

October 27, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat2u

@Frank

I also was in vietnam, and am very aware of the political restrictions we were presented with.

October 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

@ Frank

Great. We just invade, occupy & kill everything that moves. Even better nuke them. That's our land to do as we please. Those things or whatever that have been inhabiting that region for thousands of years need extermination.
    Mai Lei everywhere.
    Aren't we the ones to be worshipped. Romney was right in pronouncing that we have been chosen by God to rule the world.

October 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Saywhat,
      If it comes down to my people being killed or the opposition,the answer is YES.
      But unfortunity our people have rules.If the Russians or Chinese invade a country,their rules are KILL EVERYTHING that is not on your side.The ISLAMIC FANATICS started this and if I were in charge(fortunity for everyone I am not)
      I would REALLY finish it.

October 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat2u

@saywhat

Our stated goal upon entering that country was to lacate and exterminate osama bin laden. That goal has been acheived and it is time to pull out. I know I'm probably going to get beaten down by all the pro let's kill as many afghans as we can before we leave crowd. But like I said before, they're just waiting us out, and then it will go back to the old status quo. They seem to be satisfied with it, or they would have done something about it a long time ago themselves.

October 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@bobcat:
    Lol! Me upset over what!
    And saywhat, I am fairly certain, forgot to turn on his [sarcasm] font.

October 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

@banasy
    I saw by your comment above that you wer shocked AND appalled. That can be a dangerous combination. So i just wanted to help you calm down.

October 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

@ bobcat2u
    agree
    @ banasy
    you are right I do need to turn on my 'sarcasm' font .Will remember next time.

@ Frank
    who started what is debateable. When we invade & occupy & kill , it is expected under normal parameters of logic that those we occupy & kill will be motivated to kill us back. Be it Iraqis or Afghans they want us out & we have no business to be there.

October 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Saywhat, as the true Frank here I totally agree with you. The U.S. and NATO have vastly overstepped their bounds by going into places where thet have absolutely no business at all!!!!!

October 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

Sorry folks, I see that some right-wing nutjob here has been posting his Tea Party nonsense under my name. None of the above posts are mine and furthermore, I wish to reiterate the fact that I have absolutely no use whatsoever for this obnoxious war as we have no right to be in Afghanistan in the first place!!!

October 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy

Thank you, Frank, I completely agree. Afghanistan is not and never has been ours to take. The Taliban, right or wrong, are only fighting us for what's theirs in the first place!

October 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

I like the right wing nutjob more. 9/11 gave us the right to be there. I was against going into Iraq until Afgan was over and we should NEVER build up a nation like this.

October 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charlie

Not to long ago women were free to learn,to teach, to be a part of an evolving society. Children were free to learn and play.........maybe make it to adulthood without passing on to disease, stoning and so much more too distressing to post.
    Do I wish my son were back in the USA at the moment? You bet I do....for now he's doing his job, following instructions,making decisions and not complaining........trying to build a human bridge.
    What we don't hear or read of are the people of Afghanistan, those that I'm sure are so grateful that we are at least making the effort.
    Too often the price we are paying is too high, as well as reckless. I live with that fear every day, in my own way, the only way I can relate to the fear felt so many miles away.

October 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. soldier

so here is the deal yall dont even get it this is a culture that is willing to shoot they're own children in the head and kill entire families because they will not follow the orders given to them by the insurgencies we arent here to take a country as you put it we are here to finish what we started and that is to at least make it safe for these people to even survive in this place. but most of you who believe that we do not belong here are going off of what the media is feeding you and really have no idea what is going on here which is fine you can consider yourself an educated person but hey never having been here i bet you understand this place completly and know far more then a person that has interacted with the locals or had to walk down these street. but like i said you consider yourselves as educated people but then agian everything yall have put is all media based

October 29, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |