Woman accused of trafficking 30 pounds of cocaine in cake mix boxes
Officials say the 30 pounds of cocaine was carried in cake mix boxes.
October 27th, 2011

Woman accused of trafficking 30 pounds of cocaine in cake mix boxes

An 18-year-old woman who was arrested after nearly 30 pounds of cocaine was found hidden in cake mix boxes in her suitcase will be charged as an adult, according to a Florida state attorney's office.

Ayesha Niles, who lives in London, was traveling from Jamaica to London with a stopover at Miami International Airport on Friday when she went through a routine luggage check.

"Twenty-four boxes of cake mix in your luggage," Ed Griffith, spokesperson Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, told CNN. "It just seemed extremely unusual."

It was unusual enough that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agent sent Niles to the inspection area for a second screening.

According to the arrest affidavit the boxes of cake mix contained a total of "+/- 29.30 pounds of powder cocaine." According to the state attorney's office the estimated street value of the cocaine in London is $650,000.00.

The affidavit says Niles told law enforcement that the boxes were placed in her luggage in Jamaica but she was not aware of what the boxes contained.

Niles was arrested on charges of trafficking of cocaine and transporting of a control substance. Niles turned 18 this week and because of her age of majority and the seriousness of the crime the state attorney's office has filed notice that she will be charged as an adult. Niles, who is still in the juvenile system currently, could not be reached for comment.

"This is an extremely serious charge," Griffith said. "She is looking at minimum mandatory prison time upon a conviction."

If convicted Niles could be sentences up to 15 years in prison for each count.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Jamaica
  1. mark

ummm...why charge her as an adult? the girl is 18! she's probably the victim in this. instead of spending our tax money on incarcerating this likely poor individual for 20 years, how about get her to confess who she got it from and punish those people instead? anyway, the government is dumb anyway, if they just legalized it and charged as much as the drug dealers charge for this stuff, we wouldn't have a deficit in 3 months time and our jails would be 50% percent lighter. this is retarded on the part of the government and a waste of money like the wars. if I want coke I get it anytime in 5 minutes flat 24/7 and they will never change that, no matter how many millions they will throw and feed on our tax money in jail.

October 28, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • santacraws

Because 18 is the legal age of an adult in the U.S. r-tard.

October 28, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Coda Mars

I'm sick of teenagers being referred to as adults. An 18 year old is a girl, not a woman.

October 28, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Really? I disagree.

I share all of the same responsibility as you. I work a full time job and go to college. I can vote, I can join the military, I own my vehicle, and am responsible for all my bills. In the legal system we are looked at as equal, in the financial system we are held to the same standards.

How am I not an adult?

October 28, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. ANGEL TO THE RESCUE!

GET THE GIRL SOME HELP! INSTEAD OF WISHING THE WORST. LETS ALL START HELPING PEOPLE WHO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS, BY GETTING THE TOP GUYS WHO RUINS INNOCENT PEOPLES LIVES, BY GETTING THESE PEOPLE TO TRANSPORT A SUBSTANCE THAT HAS RUINED TOWNS AND CITIES GLOBALLY.

October 28, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. SoldierOfFortunes

Someone didn't get the memo...cops don't want the users they want the dealers...she would be smart to tell now...

October 28, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ro Victory

The CIA got popped ( shipping tons of cha cha) by the DEA and blah blah washed up on shore 2 weeks later.(Lol) Now don't ya think the CIA coulda come up w/ a more elaborate plan by pinning the coke filled shipping containers on the Colombian drug cartels, just to keep they're name outta of it?? Lol!

October 28, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. mike

CIA plane crashes in Yucatan, Mexico with 4 TONS OF COKE on board. Who cares about 30 pounds. This is the CIA i'm talking about. In case you didn't know the gov't has been smuggling drugs into the country for years.

October 28, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. santacraws

My opinion-
    "I'm 14, I'm an adult, I should be able to drive a car and my parents are dumb."
    "I'm 16, I'm an adult because I can drive a car, I should be able to drink and my parents are still dumb."
    "I'm 18, I didn't know 24 boxes of cake mix were full of coke. Treat me like a kid please."

October 28, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. 99

Who cares when american cops are shooting our vets?

October 28, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Wise Guy

Are you guys kidding me? In the U.S., if you are 18 you can buy house, get married, buy a car, join the military, vote, buy an airplane ticket....etc. This girl knew exactly what she was doing. The only victims are you people because you are ignorant!

October 28, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Come on People

This is not nearly as relevant or as important as the Occupy Wall Street protester who was a victim of police brutality. Why isn't this anywhere on your front page? Is that not News?

October 28, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wicked Fairy

OMG. Give her a break. She just turned 18 and wanted to celebrate with a cake for each year. So she failed math-lab (meth-lab), and can't count. 18...24...what's the difference to a COKE addict? When she goes to prison, she can be the Martha Stewart of the mess hall. Batter up Baby, you will be the cake of choice for the crossbar girls and they will eat your cake all night long.

October 28, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. okolie chinonso chinwe

Τ̅☺ whosoever that mentioned nigeria as a lawless country. You must be the biggest foul. United kingdom ΐƨ corrupt, united states ΐƨ corrupt. I pity you all. Nigeria ΐƨ highly blessed.

October 28, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. snowmaker101

LMAO I would have loved to see the TSA's face when it came out of xray... 24 Boxes of cakemix?? I mean how DUMB can you be?!? Always remember the tortise and the hare.. The tortise always wins! Should have only stuck with a small bit but either way she should be trialed as an adult. More intel needed to find the dogs higher up in the food chain. I can't wait for the day these types of narcotics are swept from the street for good.

October 28, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. flarnkingsgargle

I'd eat that cake.

October 28, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tim420

Yes!!! An 18 year old and a boat load of cocaine! Feels like I'm at Charlie Sheens' pre party!

October 28, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |