Overheard on CNN.com: Pipeline benefits worth the risks?
Opponents of a proposed oil pipeline protest Tuesday near a San Francisco fundraiser attended by President Obama.
October 28th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Pipeline benefits worth the risks?

Comment of the Day:

"It's getting harder and harder to like President Obama. But the Republican candidates are way too scary to support. What's a Progressive to do?"–IBON4IT

Green donors warn Obama: 'Do the right thing' on Keystone pipeline

Frustrated by what they see as President Barack Obama's failure to honor his environmental promises, former campaign donors are threatening to withdraw financial support if he fails to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline. CNN.com readers talked about their political choices, and argued over whether the economic benefits of the pipeline were worth the environmental risks.

longtooth said, "The choice is clear. You can support Obama, who at least admits the possibility of global warming and our role in it, or you can abandon him, and give the White House to Romney, Perry, Cain, or one of the others in the Flying Republican Circus."

757Matt said, "Given the current global economic issues and our continued dependence on foreign oil - unless the government is going to buy everyone a hybrid - it makes sense to sign this bill."

No9 said, "I am a Democrat, with solar panels on my roof, wind power for the rest of my electric, and a high mileage car. I support this pipeline. The product will be sold to someone. Why not us? Don't you want to buy from a friendly country? This is crazy, build it now."

mgcanmore, who identified as a geologist, said, "Protesting this pipeline is irrational. Transporting hydrocarbons has a small inherent risk regardless of how you do it: tankers, trucks, rail or pipeline. Here we have a huge source of North American oil - second only to Saudi Arabia - and these protesters want to shut it down."

But TruthToTell said, "It's not just the threat from the pipeline itself, the oil will be dirty oil from tar sands, the production and then the refining of which produce a double whammy to the environment. Clinton's State Department out-sourced its "review" of Keystone XL pipeline this year to a corporation that is a close business associate of Keystone. The results were predictable - 'the project is simply peachy.'"

eadfrmfront said, "The pipeline helps lessen American dependence on Middle East oil and will create thousands of jobs."

SKSPLS asked, "Why does Trans Canada want to build a tar sands oil pipeline all the way to the Gulf coast? The intent is to ship the refined products to more lucrative overseas markets, thereby negating any effect the pipeline might have with regard to U.S. foreign oil dependence."

frflyer said, "Alberta tar sands is the most destructive project on the planet. It produces 2-3 times the CO2 emissions of normal oil production. It is endangering the Athabascan River watershed, one of the most important in North America. It is endangering the Canadian Boreal Forest, one of the most important ecosystems on the planet, as well as being one of the biggest carbon sinks on the planet."

SeriousDude said, "We have a very short-term mentality in this country, so environmental issues almost always get pushed to one side when someone raises energy or jobs or virtually anything as a short-term expedient. Jobs and energy can usually be obtained by alternate means; a destroyed environment is often lost for ever."

Busted2010 said, "Poisoning ground water in a state whose economy relies heavily on agriculture is not pro-job growth."

For those of you who would like to share news and comments that may be off topic, there is now a site where you can do just that. Here's the link:

Open Thread: Talk about the news

1. Vicki Countz

I am amazed by the audacity of some (not most) mere mortals (humans) to presume global warming which is a man
    made theory (it is just a theory) can be corrected by inferior intelligence (as opposed to the intelligence of the earth, mother nature and the universe). I guarantee those superior, I'll use the metaphor beings, can wash the gunk away and blow away when necessary pollution and creatures.

October 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

I heard it was more expensive to separate the sand from oil than to pump it out of the ground. Ok where are our blog geologist physics professors? What is your analysiis?

October 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat2u

Hey Sottish Mama
    I have to admit that I'm not familiar with this keystone pipeline.
    Where is it coming from and where is it going ?

BTW What time is the game tonight ?

October 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

@bobcat 730 was that the best game ever or what

October 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

@ moma really glad to see u r still here that game was
    A blast as was giving back to jazzzz what shed been giving to everybody else

October 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

If I have a question, I ask it. Shyness has never been my problem. Then I move on.

October 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

@gung hoe
    That game couldn't have been any better. Tonights game should be off the charts.

October 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

@bobcat2u- I believe from Canada and to run down thru the US to Texas. I thought that was silly and they should stop at North Dakota and truck it to the lower 48. But I am not in the loop.
    The game central time is 6:30.
    @Gung Just saw an after game interview with hometown young man David Freese, he said, "when your a young man on the field in elementary scchool dreaming of hitting the winning home run in a World Series, you never dreamed of the press hounding you after calling you a choking dog at the plate.(Or something to that effect)
    One of the most exciting 11 innings I have ever saw.
    Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cardinals!

October 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

oops, 11 innings I have ever seen.

October 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@bobcat2u- it has changed a bit and will rung to Ill and Okla, and then to the Gulf. It is a dirty fuel and has been underway since 2005. Another thing maybe occupy could protest against.
    Although jobs would be created, the cost is alot to clean the sand oil. The government has also been dragging their feet on approval, and they are suppose to make a decision before the end of this year.

October 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Portland Tony

I see those of you that are probably working are the great green pumpkin mashers: Opposed to the pipeline. If we don't have the technology in place to run a pipeline to the gulf without springing a leak we have no business building it. The current administration is taking plenty of heat for underwriting failed green solutions for jobs. Time for us to get our hands dirty America and put some people to work.

October 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

No, just read afout how, where and when it is to take place. Do you know anything about sand oil. I did see something on it and the people who work there say it is costly. I do not have the figures, do you? If it is not cost efficient or clean, are the jobs worth it?

October 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

@Scottish Mama

I do seem to remember that now. Why is Texas going to again get the monopoly on this oil for refining ?

October 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Now they say it is going to the gulf, they did not say Texas this time. Maybe because the oil companies are fighting as hard as the green people and enviornmentalist.

October 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat2u

Yeah, I read an article in Discover about this process. It doesn't sound cost effective to me.

October 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I also thought it said large swatches of land are destroyed in Canada. Where are our Canadian friends? They would know better than we would, it has been going on for a while up there.

October 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dragonex

Why couldn't they build a refinery in North Dakota or northern region. By piping down to Texas would increase contamination throughout midwestern region. And BP and Halliburton are beginning to drill again in the Gulf. It was on the local news here. People are against it because BP and Halliburton won't admit that the massive deaths to sea life had anything to do with the horrific way they "cleaned up" the oil spill disaster. One species named were the dolphins and how their babies were still born or if they were born alive died with a horrible skin lesions. The chemicals they put into the Gulf to disperse the oil actually made the oil clump and sink to the bottom. BP and Halliburton would not comment on any attempt to clean up the deep muck that now covers the Gulf floor. They did say that the Gulf waters are "clean" and have opened tthe waters to commercial fishing again. I live by the Gulf shores and this is a very hot topic for me.

October 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I always wondered what will happen when the crap they sprayed on it to make it sink, dissapates, will it rise to the surface again? Okay, were are our oceanographers?

October 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • slider

No new oil refineries have been allowed to be built in the U. S. in a very long time. Most of he existing one's are in Texas so they get the oil.

October 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I wondered where everybody is: watching ball games, I assume.
    I worked, not mashing pumpkins, and have to again for two more days.

October 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I know that you're not the true JIF here because the real one always makes sense. You mindless Tea Partiers evidently have nothing on your minds except for trolling other people and posting such meaningless comments which are getting very boring to say the least!!!

October 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat2u

20 minutes to game time.

October 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Pre game chit chat.

October 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I'd thank this joker above to quit posting his Tea Party nonsense under my name here. Now I know how you must feel, JIF. I resent it because it makes me look stupid. Gee whiz, have you people nothing at all on your minds???

October 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@bobcat2u At first I thought it was not JIF, and then when I thought you answered him, I chimmed in.
      NOT bobcat2u.