Overheard on CNN.com: Pipeline benefits worth the risks?
Opponents of a proposed oil pipeline protest Tuesday near a San Francisco fundraiser attended by President Obama.
October 28th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Pipeline benefits worth the risks?

Comment of the Day:

"It's getting harder and harder to like President Obama. But the Republican candidates are way too scary to support. What's a Progressive to do?"–IBON4IT

Green donors warn Obama: 'Do the right thing' on Keystone pipeline

Frustrated by what they see as President Barack Obama's failure to honor his environmental promises, former campaign donors are threatening to withdraw financial support if he fails to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline. CNN.com readers talked about their political choices, and argued over whether the economic benefits of the pipeline were worth the environmental risks.

longtooth said, "The choice is clear. You can support Obama, who at least admits the possibility of global warming and our role in it, or you can abandon him, and give the White House to Romney, Perry, Cain, or one of the others in the Flying Republican Circus."

757Matt said, "Given the current global economic issues and our continued dependence on foreign oil - unless the government is going to buy everyone a hybrid - it makes sense to sign this bill."

No9 said, "I am a Democrat, with solar panels on my roof, wind power for the rest of my electric, and a high mileage car. I support this pipeline. The product will be sold to someone. Why not us? Don't you want to buy from a friendly country? This is crazy, build it now."

mgcanmore, who identified as a geologist, said, "Protesting this pipeline is irrational. Transporting hydrocarbons has a small inherent risk regardless of how you do it: tankers, trucks, rail or pipeline. Here we have a huge source of North American oil - second only to Saudi Arabia - and these protesters want to shut it down."

But TruthToTell said, "It's not just the threat from the pipeline itself, the oil will be dirty oil from tar sands, the production and then the refining of which produce a double whammy to the environment. Clinton's State Department out-sourced its "review" of Keystone XL pipeline this year to a corporation that is a close business associate of Keystone. The results were predictable - 'the project is simply peachy.'"

eadfrmfront said, "The pipeline helps lessen American dependence on Middle East oil and will create thousands of jobs."

SKSPLS asked, "Why does Trans Canada want to build a tar sands oil pipeline all the way to the Gulf coast? The intent is to ship the refined products to more lucrative overseas markets, thereby negating any effect the pipeline might have with regard to U.S. foreign oil dependence."

frflyer said, "Alberta tar sands is the most destructive project on the planet. It produces 2-3 times the CO2 emissions of normal oil production. It is endangering the Athabascan River watershed, one of the most important in North America. It is endangering the Canadian Boreal Forest, one of the most important ecosystems on the planet, as well as being one of the biggest carbon sinks on the planet."

SeriousDude said, "We have a very short-term mentality in this country, so environmental issues almost always get pushed to one side when someone raises energy or jobs or virtually anything as a short-term expedient. Jobs and energy can usually be obtained by alternate means; a destroyed environment is often lost for ever."

Busted2010 said, "Poisoning ground water in a state whose economy relies heavily on agriculture is not pro-job growth."

For those of you who would like to share news and comments that may be off topic, there is now a site where you can do just that. Here's the link:

Open Thread: Talk about the news

1. chrissy

ty bobcat its been a very pleasant evening 4 sure. nice when u dont gotta deal with snarkiness lmao and mama i had faith in the cards during the whole series. have fun. gn and anymore posts with my name will NOT be me so u can report em plz

October 29, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy, chrissy, Scottish Mama, bobcat2u, s kel, and anybody I missed:
    I went to sleep early (tired). Have to get up and go again now.
    I thought everybody was snubbing me–maybe you were watching the game. I was prepared to go away, thought I'd been too outspoken.
    I say what I think and let it fall however it does. I never mean harm, but sometimes what I think is constructive is a different POV.
    I don't drink beer, but if I did it'd be dark.

October 29, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

What am I saying?
    I hate beer! I liked beer in college: dark beer.

October 29, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

When I was in college, I thought it was cool to smoke a Meerschaum pipe–on elevators.
    Boy, was I naif then. I'd also save up and buy imported cigarettes that I couldn't inhale.
    Kids.

October 29, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm just waiting for my gym to open at 7:00, the weekend time. Do legs today.

October 29, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dana

It's up to the media to point out the facts on the oil sands and the pipeline. The fact that it'll go on the world market should tell the American people something like it will not have much of an effect on fuel price. Look at the environmental impact. How many people have to lose their family farms and homes? The impact on the parks, lakes and rivers. The 99% are not going to be the real beneficiaries of of this mess.It will be the oil & Gas companies and the usual 1%and a few temps on the way.

October 29, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Portland Tony

The pipeline may create tens of thousands of jobs. One aspect that wasn't mentioned was the additional oil would give us more flexibility or options should one of the supply nations go belly up! Maybe being less dependant on foreign oil could keep us out of a war. The downside to not allowing the pipeline in the US is the Canadians have indicated they would built a Chinese backed pipeline to their west coast. So in times of slowegrowth that fact isn't important.

October 29, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland Tony

But if major shortages occurred, we would be buying Canadian oil from the Chinese?

October 29, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bill

What is always puzzling is that these "job creators" somehow never seem to live up to the expectations. Either the advocates and money people behind the pipeline (or whatever else is on the table) are full of it or maybe we just misunderstood the claims. Likely it will never impact oil prices anyway, since they're determined by OPEC and manipulator/speculators anyway. Just more BS to keep us hoping, as usual.

October 29, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat2u

@JIF
    Nah, you weren't being ignored last night. Trolling was really heavy last night and it was hard to tell who was who.
    Then you disappeared. And your opinions are like everyone elses. We all agree on some. We agree to disagree on others. I would much rather life be diversified like that. It'd be to boring if it wasn't.

October 29, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

@JIF-I actually put the dark beer comment in for you. Better for you and less calories. Sorry you missed the game, (dedicated musician/work out creature of habit) it was a really great game and topping the 6th game was hard to do. And when we are toasting on line it has even less calories. With that said, Whooooo-hooooo Cardinals!
    I still have not read all the stuff fllying on here, and I do not think I will. Blog hangover.lol

October 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

I think that job creation in these areas also help only the top and the workers have jobs, so not make as much money as they are worth, and building another pipeline is in the direction we should not go. Energy efficient homes must go the way of eco friendly, utility companies must go the wayside. They just do not know how to let the american people know, and how they can make money from us, changing over and us paying for the change. Someone with ideas will have to go against the wealthy strangle hold. Someone without the money usually like Tesla and we all saw how that turned out. I know we are hard up for jobs and if you do not have a job, "Tony" it is easy to fall prey to their demands of something that is not good for the country.

October 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Scottish Mama,
    I always liked the taste of dark beer.
    I get up very early, so my bedtime is not a choice. Saturdays, if I'm not in the gym early, it gets so crowded that I can't work out.
    There's a magnificent snowfall in Manhattan–boy, this Global Warming is terrible!
    Really, it looks like one of those toy snow globes.

October 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Some mornings you make me feel like a slug.lol
      Then maybe a nice glass of anti oxidant wine?
      I love the look of snow. Snowing on the 23rd of Dec. and melting on the Day after Christmas is good for me anymore. Shoveling is the pits. It really does not snow anymore like when I was young. They have been mild the past few years.

October 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

CNN deletes those not related to this topic on this thread *only*; the 'Overheard on CNN' because they're shown on all of the other blogs, not only 'This Just In'

October 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Oh well, I guess we will someday stay on topic.lol

October 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat2u

@Scottish Mama
    Thanks for the beer and lemon drops last night. But I think I over did it. But I was already laying down, so I didn't have far to fall. lol

@JIF

It's been a very long time since I've seen any snow. I don't know if I remember what it looks like anymore. Is it still white ?

October 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@bobcat2u-Welcome any time. It was the first cyber buzz I ever had. I was ready to hit the hay too.
      When I lived in LA. in the late 70's it snowed (dusting of snow), the 1st year I was there. Tullin past all the cars on the side of the rode, looking at them and thinking boy there are alot of cars broke down. Going home and there were alot more of broken down cars. Spoke to one of the locals while bringing in the groceries. He said they are not broke down, what? They have never seen snow and they're tires are bald. You do not need tread when you don't have snow. Made sense to me. Then the natives blamed the "yank" for the rest of my stay, for bringing the snow from Missouri with me.

October 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Avser Bastian

NEW & RELOADED !! NOT ANTI WALL-STREET PROTESTS, BUT INSTEAD ANTI WHITES !!

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTESTS ARE ALSO KNOWN UNDER ZIONIST "TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP" IN AMERICA !! TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP FROM HANDS OF WHITE AMERICANS TO SO CALLED "MINORITIES"(COMMUNISM)

ANTI WALL-STREET PROTEST MOVEMENT IS LED BY SO CALLED "ANONYMOUS" !!

HAHA...TELL ME WHO IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE AND WHERE PEOPLE ARE SURVEILLANCED 24/7 !!? WHO !!? NOBODY !!! ABSOLUTELY NOBODY IS ANONYMOUS IN A POLICE STATE AND NOR ARE THOSE WHO MADE YOU PROTEST FOR THEIR SAKE OR WHAT MULTICULTURALISM IS !!! Wall street protesters are Obama's raise of the planet Apes army which spread from London per Zionist Washington DC and communist Moscow where new Stalin is in place – PUTIN !!!

VISIT http://multiculturalismisterrorism.blogspot.com

THEY WERE MURDERING YOU WITH AND INSIDE OF THEIR CORPORATIONS FOR OVER 66 YEARS !!! THEY HAVE CLOSED DOWN ALMOST EVERY SMALL COMPANY(FARMS) IN UNITES STATES OF AMERICA AND NOW, THEY WANT YOU TO GO OUT THERE AND PROTEST FOR THEM AGAINST WALL STREET(corporations = Wall-street) !!!

THEY CRIME CONTEMPLATED AGAINST US PER EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION FOR OVER 66 YEARS AND NOW, THEY WANT YOU TO RAISE COMMUNIST FLAG UNDER AMERICAN SKY !!! ONE RACE; RAT RACE(COMMUNISM) !!!

IF YOU PROTEST(YOU SHOULD), MAKE SURE TO RAISE SIGN WHERE DISPLAYED I CITE "66 YEARS OF GENOCIDE AGAINST WHITES IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE" OR GET LOST HOME IF NOT ALREADY HOMELESS(I despise people who starve to death out there and are afraid to say out loud what is truth even while protesting...I despise people who only see themselves and do NOT care even about children of their own...children who will be turned one day in white refugees as seen on above video thanks to their parents who are awaiting...awaiting in fear to become homeless and what is inevitable at any given moment) !!!

THIS NEWS IS RELATED TO

WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw OR http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec <== OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 (EXILING WHITES AND IMPORTING NON WHITES). THIS IS THE MAIN REASONS PER WHY WALL-STREET PROTESTERS APPEARED(to cover up government crime/genocide against white population because Obama = Osama) BESIDE ALREADY MENTIONED "TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP"(COMMUNISM).

October 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |