Palestinian Islamic Jihad announced an immediate cease-fire with Israel on Sunday following a sharp rise in violence in the past several days.
Islamic Jihad "will cooperate with the cease-fire, but maintains our right to resist the aggression," a spokesman for the military wing of the group told CNN, adding that calm "will depend upon the behavior of the occupation," a reference to Israel.
The deal was brokered by Egypt, said Abu Ahmed, as the Islamic Jihad representative refers to himself.
Israel did not immediately confirm there had been a deal, which Islamic Jihad announced hours after the Israeli Air Force struck several sites that it suspected were "terror centers" Sunday.
The air force said the Sunday attacks targeted three suspected rocket launching sites and one "terror tunnel" in northern Gaza; and two "terror activity" sites in southern Gaza, as the wave of back-and-forth attacks between the Israeli military and Palestinian militants continued.
No one was hurt in the attacks, security forces in Gaza said.
On Saturday, at least 10 people were killed in Gaza and southern Israel.FULL STORY