October 31st, 2011

Obama tackles drug shortages, prices

President Barack Obama will sign an executive order Monday designed to help reduce a growing number of prescription drug shortages while protecting patients from possible pharmaceutical industry price gouging.

Among other things, the order requires the Food and Drug Administration to increase its reporting of possible shortages of certain prescription drugs, while also speeding up regulatory reviews of new drug manufacturing sites, drug suppliers and manufacturing changes.

The Justice Department will be tasked with examining whether specific drug shortages are tied to an intentional stockpiling of medications designed to raise prices.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Health Care • Politics
  1. bobcat2u

Possible pharmaceutical industry price gouging ? Why would they call it possible price gouging ?

Uh Oh. I used the word pharmeutical.
    Oh No. I did it again.

October 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@bobcat:
    Shhhhhh.

There are shortages on some very basic medicines, like morphine, that are needed for pain management.
    I do not understand it, but there you go.
    I wouldn't call it gouging, either, but rather creating a false shortage to hyper-inflate prices.

It's actually unconscionable, if you ask me.

October 31, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat2u

Can't they import these drugs from other countries like France and China? That there would solve the price gouging problem!!! Unfortunately, the right-wing fanatics in Washington, as usual, do not wish to have this problem solved either!!!

October 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Not me above. Sounds like GP to me. How ya doin georgie ?

October 31, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hey, bobcat–how do you like your new hijacking status?

October 31, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@JIF

I guess I've been posting for too long if they're going to start on me too.
    At least I'm sure all my friends here know my style.
    New posters beware.

October 31, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

catchin on now aint ya bobcat? lmao

October 31, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@bobcat:
    You're correct; it's GP.
    Congratulations.
    You're official. 😀

October 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Portland tony

Actually it's private investment groups that buy up the supplies of a specialty drug. Then in order for patients with a rare disease to obtain a needed specialty drug they have to go to the secondary. (Black) market and pay big bucks. Same goes for inpatient facilities. It's either pay the street price or in some cases, let the patient die!

October 31, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat2u

@banasy and chrissy

Thank you very much. I'm a pretty quick study most of the time. But I really didn't expect to become part of the "trolled" club." Well, that just gives us more in common now.

October 31, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I figured that it would be a matter of time before these mindless Tea Partiers hijacked this tread too with their usual meaningless mumbo-jumbo. One may have noticed that these people never have anything to say on these treads! I guess that we'll just have to get used to it since CNN choses not to clean it up!!!

October 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

JFI cnn montering statments on here are a joke, ex. A skinhead will rant about hatings jew, blacks asians ect... Or a left wing extreamist ranting on about hating anyone thats against , you try to reply and than CNN wont let you.

October 31, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Have you ever noticed you don't either, GP?

October 31, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

That storm the East just had? You guessed it...it was due to the right-wing thugs in Washington!!!
    How repulsive!!!

*the preceding has been a message of the tongue-in-cheek squad*

October 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. leeintulsa

These drug shortages are pizzing me off. And pushing the prices up. Start off by getting rid of the dea..

October 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

it will not happen leeintulsa

October 31, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |