Overheard on CNN.com: Stop keeping up with the Kardashians
Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from Kris Humphries after 72 days of marriage.
November 1st, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Stop keeping up with the Kardashians

Comments of the morning:

“’The Couple made a reported $18m from their August wedding (that's $250,000 earned every 24 hours).’ Sounds like she knew what she was doing.” - Kumbaya

“This is what happens when your life is sponsored by E!” –KD

Kim K calls it quits

On Tuesday, Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from her husband of 72 days, professional basketball player Kris Humphries. Their wedding, which E! aired in a two-part special, cost a reported $10 million and netted the newlyweds $18 million. As news broke of the divorce filing, CNN.com readers heavily mocked the reality TV nuptials and had harsh words for what they see as a money-obsessed Kardashian clan.

Missy said, “Didn't see that coming, did ya! I wonder why it lasted so long! Lol”

Leslie said, “It lasted so long because they had to stay married until after it aired – duh!”

Linda said, “PATHETIC.”

JW said, “They are such a joke. Let's stop keeping up with the Kardashian's and the world will be better! Contribute something good to the world.”

Genesis said, “I'm so tired of these ‘celebrities’ using marriage as a way to drum up publicity for themselves. They spend millions of dollars for a complete travesty of a relationship. That sure could have helped a lot of people who are struggling just to stay in their homes.”

FEED-UP! Said, “Unbelieveable! Millions upon millions of people are out here suffering and, for reality purposes, literally millions upon millions of dollars was spent on a wedding that lasted only TWO months. No wonder the world is in bad shape. The Kardashian's should be ashamed of themselves, especially Kim and her Mom for exploring the holy sanction of marriage just for TV."

A said, “I love how her ‘careful consideration’ only came AFTER the marriage. Methinks it should have come before. Ah the life of a celeb... "

Shirley said, “The whole thing is a circus and I can't believe I am commenting here. They will do anything to get news copy including the mom's latest on Simpson. Shame on her and Kim~"

Patti said, “I missed the over – under by just a few days. What an absolutely pathetic couple!”

Paul said, “This is so ridiculous. The American way.”

Fooled said, “Was a huge publicity stunt and AMERICA just lined the Kardashians pockets. Lol”

Don said, “This whole KARDASHIAN thing is a joke. Kim and her family are a joke. The public should drop them like a rock, don't but any of there crap, let them join the food line and certainly the back of the line in Vegas!”

Chrissy said, “What a joke .. so many charities and others could have really been helped with the money spent on that circus.”

Nora said, “I knew this Marriage was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Kim you should have to return all your gifts and please do us a favor and elope next time.”

Caseb said, “I’m hoping that now at least some people will wake up and stop wasting another minute on these superficial people, however, the odds are against that. If I never hear the name Kardashian again, I'll be the happiest man on earth.”

Stephanie Taylor said, “With people starving in the world, Kim had a 10 million dollar wedding, bought a 400k car and got a divorce in 70 days without telling her husband first? I was wrong about Kim K. I will never watch any of her shows again.”

Andy said, “FYI: reality TV isn't reality. Everything is calculated and every action is directed. This marriage/divorce plan was put in to effect over a year ago just to popularize this stupid family and make more money. ... No reality show is actually reality peeps.”

Y said, “I didn't think it was going to last. He was just a rebound from Reggie Bush.”

RL said, “I hope she has to return the $18 million she made off her wedding.”

PeaceHo said, “In this bad economy it was disgusting to see such an over-the-top and lavish wedding. Now that the marriage is history it is even more apparent how wasteful that $10 million was. Too bad the money wasn't better spent on, say, helping needy kids in Haiti, Somalia, or the Sudan. Too bad that money wasn't spent of helping people here in the U.S. who are struggling. What DO the Kardashians do ... other than spend money? How do they contribute to make society better?”

tmp1356 responded, “Many people did benefit from this wedding. Many people were hired to do catering, dress making, etc. Maybe not the ideal way to help, but she did spend money, which employed people, which helped the local economy...”

PeaceHo responded, “Like Vera Wang needs more money?”

Open Thread: Talk about the news

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. BobNAlabama

This time the "gold digger" is a man, and he probably knows about California's community property laws. Too bad there wasn't a pre-nup!

November 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lastdays

Karadashians, please dont call yourselves Christians. Your words and actions do not reflect true Christianity according to the Holy Scriptures. Turn Back!!!!

November 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cain

People need to stop moaning about what they paid for their wedding. It isn't your money, it not yours to spend. And by the way, they didn't burn the cash in a bonfire. They paid that money to literally hundreds of vendors and small businesses who have mortgages, food to buy for their family, and kids to put through college. The economic ignorance and sheer envy of so many in this country is infinitely more damaging than wasteful spending by pampered celebrities.

November 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lolowalker

These folks make a mockery of Marriage. It's a joke them.

November 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Paolo:
    ROTFLMAO,
    Well done!

November 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. madge

all the complainers will be the first to buy their products and treat her like gold when she marries for the 3rd time..

November 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sue

thats right madge.....the public will treat her like a queen with her in between boyfriends and then her next marriage...
    please...guys don't even talk about these people.

November 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Millie

Kris, make sure you get 1/2 of what was made during the marriage. It was a hoax and you were "picked".

November 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Julie

What a joke! Both parties should be ashamed of themselves. The millions they spent on a "Made for TV" wedding should've been donated to food banks & shelters across the country. The economy has still not turned around and there are so many many families out there that need assistance. Shelters are full, food banks are in desparate need of help, especially as the cooler weather and holiday season approaches. Do something good Kim, auction off your multiple wedding dresses and donate to a worthy cause.

November 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. woodrow

This was not a marriage, it was a publicity stunt. And apparently it worked. Now we get to watch Kim cash in.

November 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Maria

Personally I believe Kris is better off without Kim. She is a self-serving spoiled brat that wants to run his life. He seems to have the sense of a man who will not be dominated which I know she wants to do. I admire him for beings this way and standing up for his manhood. Just my opinion.!!!!!!!!!!

November 1, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

Amen to that Maria. Kim is a spoiled little rich witch that HAS to have her way and when Kris would bow down to her she dumped him. He's better off without her. There are millions of females much better than that bubble butted doofus for Kris to run after. I just hope he gets his ring back. She doesn't deserve it!!!!! All she wants is the fame and money. I would only hope that the network would drop All the Kardashian shows and get something worth watching on tv

November 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Niki Trust

The last 24 Kardashian hours. Kim filed for divorce and tried to cheat for her brother on DWTS. Kris J has claimed she could have prevented Nicole Simpson's (and I guess Ron Goldman's) murders. They are celebrity sociopaths – obsessed with themselves and what they feel is due to them, incapable of comprehending the hurt they cause.

November 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. justathought

Did CNN give them anything to post this blog?

November 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Donald in CA

If the round baller got some he won.

November 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. azdROMEO

1st timer...I just feel duped after spending my precious time watching this. I have lost a lot of respect for this family regarding watching them. SHAME ON ME!!! No judgement on them for they are just giving the world what they think we want, need and/or dream about. Ryan Seagrest (sp) is also laughing his way to the bank along with E executives. I am the fool but fool me once, well you know the rest. I thank them though for I will no longer watch something just to KEEP UP. I will invest my time into programming that at least CONTRIBUTES to the betterment of this planet, again SHAME ON ME!!!

November 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |