Overheard on CNN.com: Stop keeping up with the Kardashians
Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from Kris Humphries after 72 days of marriage.
November 1st, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Stop keeping up with the Kardashians

Comments of the morning:

“’The Couple made a reported $18m from their August wedding (that's $250,000 earned every 24 hours).’ Sounds like she knew what she was doing.” - Kumbaya

“This is what happens when your life is sponsored by E!” –KD

Kim K calls it quits

On Tuesday, Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from her husband of 72 days, professional basketball player Kris Humphries. Their wedding, which E! aired in a two-part special, cost a reported $10 million and netted the newlyweds $18 million. As news broke of the divorce filing, CNN.com readers heavily mocked the reality TV nuptials and had harsh words for what they see as a money-obsessed Kardashian clan.

Missy said, “Didn't see that coming, did ya! I wonder why it lasted so long! Lol”

Leslie said, “It lasted so long because they had to stay married until after it aired – duh!”

Linda said, “PATHETIC.”

JW said, “They are such a joke. Let's stop keeping up with the Kardashian's and the world will be better! Contribute something good to the world.”

Genesis said, “I'm so tired of these ‘celebrities’ using marriage as a way to drum up publicity for themselves. They spend millions of dollars for a complete travesty of a relationship. That sure could have helped a lot of people who are struggling just to stay in their homes.”

FEED-UP! Said, “Unbelieveable! Millions upon millions of people are out here suffering and, for reality purposes, literally millions upon millions of dollars was spent on a wedding that lasted only TWO months. No wonder the world is in bad shape. The Kardashian's should be ashamed of themselves, especially Kim and her Mom for exploring the holy sanction of marriage just for TV."

A said, “I love how her ‘careful consideration’ only came AFTER the marriage. Methinks it should have come before. Ah the life of a celeb... "

Shirley said, “The whole thing is a circus and I can't believe I am commenting here. They will do anything to get news copy including the mom's latest on Simpson. Shame on her and Kim~"

Patti said, “I missed the over – under by just a few days. What an absolutely pathetic couple!”

Paul said, “This is so ridiculous. The American way.”

Fooled said, “Was a huge publicity stunt and AMERICA just lined the Kardashians pockets. Lol”

Don said, “This whole KARDASHIAN thing is a joke. Kim and her family are a joke. The public should drop them like a rock, don't but any of there crap, let them join the food line and certainly the back of the line in Vegas!”

Chrissy said, “What a joke .. so many charities and others could have really been helped with the money spent on that circus.”

Nora said, “I knew this Marriage was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Kim you should have to return all your gifts and please do us a favor and elope next time.”

Caseb said, “I’m hoping that now at least some people will wake up and stop wasting another minute on these superficial people, however, the odds are against that. If I never hear the name Kardashian again, I'll be the happiest man on earth.”

Stephanie Taylor said, “With people starving in the world, Kim had a 10 million dollar wedding, bought a 400k car and got a divorce in 70 days without telling her husband first? I was wrong about Kim K. I will never watch any of her shows again.”

Andy said, “FYI: reality TV isn't reality. Everything is calculated and every action is directed. This marriage/divorce plan was put in to effect over a year ago just to popularize this stupid family and make more money. ... No reality show is actually reality peeps.”

Y said, “I didn't think it was going to last. He was just a rebound from Reggie Bush.”

RL said, “I hope she has to return the $18 million she made off her wedding.”

PeaceHo said, “In this bad economy it was disgusting to see such an over-the-top and lavish wedding. Now that the marriage is history it is even more apparent how wasteful that $10 million was. Too bad the money wasn't better spent on, say, helping needy kids in Haiti, Somalia, or the Sudan. Too bad that money wasn't spent of helping people here in the U.S. who are struggling. What DO the Kardashians do ... other than spend money? How do they contribute to make society better?”

tmp1356 responded, “Many people did benefit from this wedding. Many people were hired to do catering, dress making, etc. Maybe not the ideal way to help, but she did spend money, which employed people, which helped the local economy...”

PeaceHo responded, “Like Vera Wang needs more money?”

Open Thread: Talk about the news

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. itsallaboutnothing

Not surprised. It was all a gimmick so they have something new for their reality show and they can make more money! Who was fooled? America who watches their show and follows this good for no talent sisters and mom.

November 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icloner

Hahaha
      I knew it
      I blogged about it hahahahahhahahaha
      The guy acts and looks like a kid
      He doesn't seem man enough for Kim
      The guy looks too tall and too goofy
      That guy just lost millions and his heart is sooooooooo broken hahahahhahhahahahahaha hahaha
      Kim is now laughing all the way to the bank she gets half hahahahahhahahaha

November 2, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Mammadee92

its a shame K she a joke she just wanted to be seen she too cute and she know it yea we may not know the inside story but we do know that marriage is not a lil game you played when you was 5 years old next she can elope without telling us about it smh

November 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GanstaGyrl

Kim will end up loving a girl. There is no room in her life for a Man's Man. Kris is a Man's Man and I wish him the best. Kim on the other hand is a Ladies Lady. Just saying........

November 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icloner

To Kim
      You go girl
      Well done
      That will learn him
      HahahahahahahaahahahahHaha
      I love Kim for this even more than before

November 2, 2011 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

What is a Kardashian?

November 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icloner

He probably try to kiss her every 15 minutes
      Hahahahahhahahaha

November 2, 2011 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Mammadee92

I KNOW RIGHT LOL

November 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michelle

It is just sick that we care what she does, and it is sick how she spends $ so shamelessly in times like these. I'm disgusted with her and all of Hollywood Royalty!

November 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cain

So it's sick to care what she does, then you care how she spends her $. So basically, you are sick of yourself. Literal idiocy on parade in this thread.

November 2, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. taj

November 1, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ann R. Key

Beam me up Scotty-there's no intelligent life here-and no I'm not a trekkie!

November 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icloner

He s probably too sweet for her
      To a woman like Kim that s annoying
      Or probably saying I love you every day and stuff
      This guy is a boy
      I can tell

November 2, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. babylove

BOYCOTT THESE DISGUSTING TRASHY KARTRASHIANS! OCCUPYKARTRASHIANS@

November 2, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin in Atlanta

Kim, I'd hit that....

November 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bubba

In due time, this family looks will past like the time and then see how much plastic surgery they get. They will fade like yesterdays news. Very vain family.

November 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SMB

I watched the Royal Wedding and cried. It was beautiful, and romantic. I watched 2 minutes of the Kardashian "Wedding" and cried. For a different reason. As a happily married woman, I feel sorry for Kim. Yeah, I know she is rich beyond belief, and can buy an island- but she can't buy happiness. I hope her and basketball man can find someone who will let them truly love.

November 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deny

I never watch their show, because I find the whole family sickening. I can't stand the way any of them talk and the Mom, looks like she's got dollar signs in her eyes. Honestly TV has become pathetic, with people like these for so called entertainment. They're just a bunch of GREEDY spoiled brats, at a time when everyone in the world in suffering financially. I really hope everyone tunes them out and they disappear like Kate Gosselin.

November 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pmk1953

Nothing like being famous for a b.l.o.w.j.o.b. In the 70's, Linda Lovelace was famous for the same reason.

November 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AmerikanKiwi

I'm sorry but Kims marriage lasting only a couple months shows the younger generation that its okay to get divorced as many times as you want. Look at her – married twice by age 30. Its disgusting!! Marriage is not a game – its hard work and dedication. I think Kim is a loser and pathetic – she will hopefully never be able to have children because she would ruin them! She's stuck up and has no respect for anyone else's feelings but herself which she shows on her TV show. The lead up to the wedding was cringing how she wouldnt let Kris have any say in any part of THEIR wedding. He was right when he said she could have fit any man in his place. She disgusts me and I hope their show goes off the air. (Dont even get me started on how she complained in a PENTHOUSE in BORABORA!!!!! WHO DOES THAT????)

November 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nextinline

Who cares that they didn't make it but 72 days. That just means I got a shot now.

November 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Told ya so...

All you guys are hypocrites!!! I'm sure 90% of the people who commented here were regular viewers of the show 'Keeping up with the Kardashians". If they were given a chance to make $18 million and all they had to do was get married on TV, they would jump at the opportunity. Americans sure love to judge people. It's the "I'm better than you" pandemic in America.

Reality TV ain't real people!!! 🙂