Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. banasy©

*sigh*

And once again, women were having abortions since men were around to impregnate them.

There are ancient writings that support this;

Once again, this isn't an invention of the 60's and 70's; racism has absolutely *nothing* to do with it, and to keep repeating these ridiculous things is benefiting nobody.

November 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

I looked up the % of abortions of religous vs. non-religous back grounds.
    Out of 1.3 million per year in the united states.
    43% are protestants
    27% are catholics
    8% other-Buddhism, muslim, ect
    22% claim no religion
    1 in 5 are born again or evengelican christians.
    78% are with religious affiliation.

November 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Survior of child molestation who has drug-free therapy

For those of you too young to remember, back in the 60s and early 70s before abortions became legal, women who slept-around used coathangers to snag their unborn baby, and in rural areas disposed of the evidence in public waterways and reservoirs. Inner city “women” did the same, but disposed of the evidence in dumpsters mostly. Racism was still burning, and many “women” were so ashamed of themselves for having an 1/2 black baby in their womb, they coathangered based on the color of the unborn baby’s skin. There were just as many abortions per capita then as there are now, perhaps even more since so many have been educated to use condoms to prevent the spread of HIV. Modern science has learned that if you make knobs on condoms, they pound the AIDS virus into submission just as modern technolgy French Ticklers make the virus laugh itself to death.

November 5, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@Scottish Mama:

Hmmm.
    Some very interesting stats you have there.

So...20% are born again or evangelical Christians?

Wow.
    Thanks for the information, which will promptly be ignored by those who "know better".

November 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

I think if women were getting pregnant, men were sleeping around also. So coathangars are okay? But safe surgical facilities are better right? S8e8x education will be a topic in schools? Especially in protestant and catholic schools because they seem to need it the most. I think it is the se88xually oppressed have less knowledge and more abortions.

November 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

The people who want to make it the crusade to judge and make other peoples decisions will keep the crusade till it makes them feel better and then another crusade becomes they're business. These people let the government into our lives. It is the squeaky wheels that get the grease. I just hope anyone that votes in Mississippi decides that it is only the womans decision and not a religion or the governments decision. raype, incest or choice cannot be taken. The people in Mississippi have the ball in their court to say stop meddling in our bedrooms and get us to work. Notice nothing was done in the past couple of years. Now it is an election year and they are at it again. Divide and conquer on a hot button issue, this will not produce jobs.

November 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cheryl Whitcomb

Hello, Scottish Mama. I noticed your list dosn't include Jehovah's Witnesses. Are you sure that your list is complete? If in fact religion is somehow responsible, why aren't JW's included on the list? We are a religion too. And we are a very busy people who knock on our neighbors door throughout the entire earth sharing with them the good news of God's Kingdom government that directs our activities and our lives. We offer free home bible studies to anyone who wants to know the truth about Jehovah God. You can visit our website and learn of God's true purpose for this earth, and why JW's aren't like all the other religions. As other religions get involved with governments worldwide, we see members of the same religion killing each other during times of war, and we see religious people on your list. Ask yourself why JW's aren't on that list, and visit our website for a complete explanation. Good evening to you Scottish Mama. And thank you for your list. Good night.

November 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Cheryl Whitcomb-Maybe look it up yourself or you area minority of a religion in with the 8% Buddhism, muslim etc crowd.
      It was also said in the article of the 22%, that many may decide not to tell their religion and the numbers may be higher for the religious numbers. I guess you like the freedom of your religion but do not wish to go to war for it. You can have your freedoms and eat the cake too. I have gone to your website it says it does not support abortion, but that does not mean they do not have them.

November 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)

This has been a local solicitation from your friendly neighborhood J.W. Donations are welcome, but not required. Contact your local kingdom hall for further information.

November 6, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

The government needs to keep out of people's bedrooms, period.
    This includes, but isn't limited to, abortions and gay marriage.

If you are against abortion, don't get one.
    If you are against gay marriage, don't marry one.

Mama, look at Philip's post at 8:16, posting under the name "PTSD War Vet prescribed drug therapy" if you want to look at the most disturbed, irrational thinking containing the most imflammitory misinformation I've seen in years.

November 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@Cheryl Whitcomb:
    Perhaps your church can provide a percentage of your members who have had abortions.
    Or perhaps none of the JW have owned up to having one.
    Or perhaps no JW's *have* had one.

The fact that the JW's are not on the list is more encouraging, to me, than not.

November 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

I also find it interesting that roe vs. wade woman, who took it to court got her abortion and now since she had hers and regrets it, she has decided she does not want anyone else to have an abortion. Because now she know what is best for everyone else? While I assume many women do not do this without much consideration, thought and regret, it should be left for them to decide. Ideally in a perfect world young women do not have intercourse, birth controll is 100% efficient, (Which will be next on the crusade to holiness and is gray at best in this a8mend ment) babies and mothers never have health problems,and men never raype or have intercourse with relatives.(Which is part of this plan also, raype and in*cest victims have the baby).

November 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@Banasy I saw it. The change will come if we allow birth controll and education. But religion plays a big part in the non-education of an important part of ones adult life. To keep children safe and to curb abortions education is the key. To expect that we will rid ourselves of child molestors, raype, or young kids having babies is ludicrous. But education we can have controll over and to educate the masses. But this will never pass, because it is a giggly, sinful and not talked about taboo subject, which is why the kids are intrigued to have intercourse and the beat goes on.
    To educate is the key and if all parents decided to do so there would be less molestation and less s*e*x in young girls.

November 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

I agree, Mama.
    It's just that there are many who will believe his misinformation about the coat hangers, (completely forgetting that doctors were performing "back street abortions for centuries") racial overtones, and that this became a problem of the 60's, instead of putting the correct information out there: that sometimes choice isn't pretty, but necessary.
    Of course education is the key; if one has no information, myths like the ones Count Chocula embraces will still be put forth as fact.
    Not talking about these issues lead to ideas such as one can get pregnant by a toilet seat.

The thing is, there's no easy answer that will ever render abortions moot; but the choice must *never* be taken away.

I tend to focus on one issue before tackling the big picture; I see the trees as individual, rather than the whole forest, forgetting that it's the trees that make up the forest.
    I've been accused of gulping stained gnats from camels, (which I can safely say is *not* a widely known saying, at least in *my* parts): so be it.

So, on this issue only: the woman's choice must never be taken away, especially by men whose culpability is palpable in the first place.

November 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

I agree with your analogy about trees. I try also.
    The gnat/ camel thing eludes me. It doesn't sound like a compliment. ewwwwww

November 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Mama, he has said it's a well-known analogy; perhaps to all of the characters that he portrays it is.
    Ewwwww is right! Perhaps that's his intent: to gross us out until we agree?
    Whatever.