Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Gman

Ever since the first semblance of early human civilization, mankind has alway construed spiritual and religious ethos to provide self rationalization to explain the profound unknown reasoning for human existence. In my opinion, especially with regards to the conservative right in this country, little progress has been made to blind faith based Christian right to accept that God's given purpose is to use all of their human faculties, and those of the fact searching souls before them, to step out of their self righteous preconceived fairy tale and understand that we are one species on a small obscure planet in a delicate ecosystem located in a galaxy of a billion stars surrounded by a billion galaxies that each have billions of stars.
    The Christian right notion that humans have a Devine right to continue the unlimited plundering of the very limited resources of this small ecosystem is small minded self indulged ignorance that has led to mass species extinction with the inevitability of the extinction of all humans. Wake up! Liberate yourselfs from your pursuit of of some afterlife la la conception of heaven of your own making. Take a fresh look at knowledge, science, and fact. It's time to remove the religious pacifier of blind faith and live in the real context of human evolution in an evolving universe on a
    planet that we call earth.

November 6, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@justathought. Thank you for pointing that out. (that many immoral acts are considered to be pefectly legal) No matter the law, if it is immoral, it is immoral. And to the lady that said "government should stay out of others peoples bedrooms"...they already do. Usually a congressman rents a hotel room to cheat on his wife now, and gay leaders know that if they sleep-around you old hags think it's natural. Even Bill Clinton used the Oval Office to git bizzy with the fat lady Monica rather than going to her bedroom. Bill knows that you want government out of your bedrooms and would rather see the Oval Office being spooged. 🙂

November 6, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. unretired05

And Sharia Law begins.

November 6, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

@Gman...you had me with your words explaining how America plunders foreing nations. But you lost me when you describe faith as being "blind". According to the bible, true faith is "the EVIDENT demonstartion of REALITIES though not well known." Most people's faith is blind, because they take the word of, say, a gay religious leader over the word of God. And you failed to mention the immoral majority...those who think just because a gay religious leader does it and it's not against the law, it is therefor natural and ok with even their own idea of who God is. If there really is no true God, were done for. What manmade government has power over EQ's or amy of the devastaing diseases being spread? We'll all have the HIV virus just like we all have herpes or the common cold virus eventually. What then?

November 6, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Gman

Philip, blind are people who consider a book written thousands of years ago by numerous random people, edited by political and religious dictators and tyrants, while destroying and disparaging vast writings that didn't meet their conception of truth to control their illiterate followers.
      Blind and ignorant are people stigmatize gays as being anything less than anyone else. (You brought it up)
      Finally Philip, it seems like you are remotely getting it towards the end of your diatribe that it's the power of nature and the universe that will determine our fate. Our prolonged salvation is understanding that reality and using our God given intellect to live and be stewards of this Earth for future generations to come.

November 6, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

To the "man" who took the lady's quote completely out of context (as usual):
    Outlawing $eex because one doesn't have it himself is just plain moronic.
    He speak his own views.
    No one else's...he own them, yet consistently try to make his semi-educated words look as if he actually knows what he's preaching.
    See his ridiculous picture he painted of the 60's if one wants to see what I mean.

November 6, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Gman:
    You write beautifully.

It's in vain for the person whom it is intended, but I enjoyed reading your posts.

November 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@Philip:

This is the third time I've asked this.
    Answer, please.

Now, a direct question for *you*:

Would you go to an abortion clinic and talk just one person out of it, bring that woman home, provide all pre-and post natal care, and raise that child, *without* the mother?

You rent your extra room out to pedophiles (which you can tell just by looking in their eyes; this would be easier, since the woman is already at the clinic); why not do the same for just one child?

And *do* not say you can't, because your brother is there now; but it *is* a question that'll expect you not to answer, as you old hags usually won't.

November 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jody

All you men who are posting against legal abortion should be the one who delivers the baby and be responsible for it until it is 18. As a rule you get the job done and then want nothing else to do with what happens in 9 months. Child Support what is that? But you want to be able to dictate to the woman what she should do about her situation. Maybe the pregancy was a mistake. Ever make a mistake? If you men posting are that perfect then perhaps you have the right. However I think not. So keep it in your pants and keep your opinions to yourself until you know what it is like by being able to be responsible for a new human.

November 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jody

Don't you love the way the over zealous religious right, REPUBLICANS, want to get rid of abortion and yet they will vote against anything that feeds a hungry child, school lunches, etc. They want nothing to do with taking care of a child that is unwanted or the parents are unable to provide for. What is wrong with those people? God's Chosen?? I think not – If they believe so much in the written word – it tells us to take care of those less fortunate. They have theirs and don't give two hoots about those that are down trodden. Don't want or can't take care of another mouth to feed – have that abortion in the first three months because when we get our new Republican president food stamps will be a thing of the past.

November 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vern Wheatley

If America won't protect a helpless unborn, who will?

November 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gman

Vern, the answer is loving mothers and fathers.
      Not the government!

November 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Vern Wheatly:

You can.

If you can't answer that question with a resounding YES, you have no say in what a woman does with anything having to do with her.

And neither does any sort of legislation.

These same legislators cut funding to any social program they are against, including orphanages; proving once again that the issue of abortion, especially prevalent during election years, has nothing to so with caring for the unborn.

The so-called "immoral majority", as it pertains to women, aren't immoral at all; it is just a phrase coined by overzealous fanatics who can never know what it's like, because they are men.

Quote from the bible all men want, (usually cherry-picking quotes to serve their purpose) but until they have the opportunity to get pregnant, they should really step down from this issue.

The people who speak for the unborn are the women are the women who carry them.

If one doesn't like what they're hearing, offer a better viable solution to the most extreme alternative, or shut up!

November 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Retarded Child

Or one can take responsibility for ones OWN actions!

November 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@Banasy...as you are fully aware and have acknowledged, my expertise ls in the field of drug-free therapy, and so I use my time helping those who have been molested by men, and also men and women recovering from drug addictions. Do you go to abortion clinics and offer your counceling services? You are an expert in the field of pronyography and obscene jesting, as you have made clear. You also oppose laws that would ban sodomy from your bedroom. Perhaps you could show pregnant girls some dirty pictures, tell them a few of your dirty jokes, and teach them how safe sodomy is? If sodomy produced butt babies, how many little turds would be running around? So many, even Joey might consider a change of mind if too many little turds were on welfare. 🙂 Just kidding Joey.

November 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@Banasy (cont.) Let me tell you the account of one young man I help. His name is Tony Gonzalez, and he showed up at my shop one day asking for a job. He had no drivers license, and appeared to be a troubled youth. So I told him to take a hike. He walked around the corner of the building and started drying. I asked him if he was hungry, he said yes, so I ordered delivery while he did some cleaning of the area. Come to find-out, he had just gotten out of prison and was doing dope. He worked for my company for about a year, and now works for UPS and has a wife and two kids. That was years ago, and I have many stories just like Tony. Sadly, very few recover from addictions to food, seyx, drugs, or booze...less than 3% of those who even try stay on the road to recovery. Now tell us a story Donna Banas, part-time library helper/mother of how many children that survived the ordeal? (not counting little Neala, the grandchild you are rearing)

November 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Black Beauty

What the FRACK is going on here?

November 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |