Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. banasy©

@Philip:
    I am going to take you post, and answer every issue you have raised, lest you accuse me of circling the issue, as you yourself repeatedly have done.
    My answers will be denoted by []

@Banasy…as you are fully aware and have acknowledged, my expertise ls in the field of drug-free therapy, and so I use my time helping those who have been molested by men, and also men and women recovering from drug addictions.
    [Your experise is, by your own aknowledgement, by years of looking into people's eyes, and deciding whether or not they're molesters. You have no formal training, therefore, you're not an expert, only opinionated.]
    Do you go to abortion clinics and offer your counceling services?
    [You will never know, because everything I say you twist around into your own little vision of a skewed POV. I have learned never to tell you anything, because of your rampant misinterpretation of whatever facts are presented to you. So I'll only say, maybe.]
    You are an expert in the field of pronyography and obscene jesting, as you have made clear.
    [I tell jokes, humorless one. You're the expert on pror nography. I have never owned por. nography, which I have repeatedly told you, but, as usual, you don't listen. I guess the only voices you listen to are the ones in your head.]

You also oppose laws that would ban sodomy from your bedroom.
    [I do oppose sodomy in my bedroom; it's never happened there, nor ever will. Where do you get your strange ideas? What you're saying, really, is *you* oppose gay marriage. Don't lay that on me!]

Perhaps you could show pregnant girls some dirty pictures, tell them a few of your dirty jokes, and teach them how safe sodomy is?
    [No, you're the expert in that field, since you talk about it ad nauesum. The women are not at that clinic because of sodomy, princess. And you never did answer that question? When did you get rid of your p*rn?]

If sodomy produced butt babies, how many little turds would be running around?
    [But they can't, as you well know. Why are you bringing this up?]
    So many, even Joey might consider a change of mind if too many little turds were on welfare. Just kidding Joey.
    [See, there is the crux of the situation. You oppose abortion, yet you want to cut welfare. Your double-speak is eveident.
    Now, since you have voiced your opinion over and over on this thread, acting as if you were an expert, answer this question already:

Would you go to an abortion clinic and talk just one person out of it, bring that woman home, provide all pre-and post natal care, and raise that child, *without* the mother?

If you can’t answer that question with a resounding YES, you have no say in what a woman does with anything having to do with her.

And neither does any sort of legislation.]

@Retarded child:
    Yep, they *are* taking responsibilty for their own actions...just because one doesn't like the solution, the right to choose the solution must not be taken away.

November 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Black beauty:
    Oh, just another day of Philip the Dread smearing people with his fact-skewing missions.
    New around here, are you?

November 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

So, what do you do, Banasy? Do you help pregnant women at the clinic or not? What have you done to help people who struggle with lifes problems? What did you do for your own son who comitted suicide, for example. What dd you do for yourself so that it wouldn't occur again, besides take Prozac? Do you educate mothers with troubled children now? What exactly is it that you do besides blog here, drive 90 miles to work part-time at a library, raise your own daughters child for her, take care of your wifely house duties, etc. What do you do with your spare time to help others?

November 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

@Banasy...bbl toinight to read your reply. Later.

November 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Ok, I'll tell a story.

There once was a person on these pages who I had admired enormously, named Philip Eugene Douglas.
    He invited people to look him up of FB, which I mistakenly did.
    Little did I know that he was going to use FB to look into my life, my children's life, and take everything there to sit in judgment of us, and misuse quotes.
    (There's a party in my panties, and YOU'RE invited" is one of the quotes he took completely out of context, because that's what he does. I said it, I admit it, but in context, it was in jest, as my friends and family well know.)
    He told me he loved me dearly.
    He told me he will not stop until he gets through to me.
    He told me he wishes I was his mother, since I am such a kind and loving one.

Anyhow, once I recognized his rather unique view on life, I blocked his texts, and blocked him from FB.
    (He uses old stuff that he c/p, since he has no access anymore)
    In short, I misplaced my trust, and that's totally my fault.
    Let me reiterate:

He told me he loves me dearly, he won't stop until he "gets through to me", and he wishes I were his mother, since I was such a kind and loving one.

Thin line between love and hate, isn't there?

Anyhow, there's a story from a woman who works part-time in a library (clerk),
    Has had three children, two of which have survived to adulthood, and has a granddaughter who I am currently NOT raising, repeat, NOT raising (although I had voiced my concern to it one time, because at that point it was a possibility. Thankfully, that possibility never came about).

Let's talk about you daughter, Leah, who fled as far away from you as possible...shall we?
    No? It's none of my business, right? Shut up then.

None of this has frack-all to do with *abortion*, which is what I had been talking about this whole thread.

I really don't care who sees this; perhaps it will make things clearer as to why Thumper gets hysterical around me.

He's so amusing.

November 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

...oh, and raise your daughter's child Neala. Do you even have any spare time that you could possibly use to help thers with your years of experience and wisdom? (I'll bbl to check your answer for more than spelling. c-ya later Donna)

November 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

No, not what you suppose I did decades ago, what do you do NOW to help others. (and those dirty jokes about your panities and poolboy didn't come from your fB pages. Anyone can research your unique username and see your portrait, your birth date, and virtually everywhere you have ever been online sice you began using this ultra-unique username (I gotta get going but will be back later this evening to see what it is that you do to help others with your years of experience and aquired wisdom)

November 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Once again, I will take apart his silly post again. Denoted by []

So, what do you do, Banasy? Do you help pregnant women at the clinic or not?
    [I told you, maybe]
    What have you done to help people who struggle with lifes problems?
    [I have told you that, too. Perhaps you are too confused to remember]
    What did you do for your own son who comitted suicide, for example.
    [I took him for drug-free therapy. Look how *that* turned out.]

What dd you do for yourself so that it wouldn’t occur again, besides take Prozac?
    [I took Prozac for the purposes it was intended, and have been off for at least a decade. I have also told you what else I have done, but you forgot about that, too, haven't you?]

Do you educate mothers with troubled children now? [Yes]

What exactly is it that you do besides blog here, drive 90 miles to work part-time at a library, [where in the hell did you ever get that idea? That one still cracks me up! I walk to work, you idiot. But you won't listen, just as you never do. Too busy writing other inflammatory posts, I guess.]
    raise your own daughters child for her,
    [As I just indicated, I do not raise my granddaughter. I've repeatedly told you this.]

[I have told you, again and again, but you never seem to listen. After all, it's much easier to try and paint a portrait of others with smears of lies than it is to actually get to know a person, isn't it?]

The issue here, which you have weighed in on, is abortion.
    Do not ever tell a woman what it is her right to do, unless you come up with a better solution.
    You haven't. Game over. Shut up.
    You never did answer my question. Naurally. You wouldn't talk some one out of it, pay all costs, and then raise the child, even as you would look down you hooked nose at them for wanting an abortion in the first place.

I'm really hoping that these posts will open some eyes as to the kind of person you really are.

November 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

No, not what you suppose I did decades ago, what do you do NOW to help others. (and those dirty jokes about your panities and poolboy didn’t come from your fB pages.
    [Yes, they did. My daughter has done the research, and nothing came up. They're directly from my fB pages, and you know it, prove it. Print some other stuff, with a link as to where you "found them" you LSS.]

[What do I look like? Where have I been? Hmmm? Your scare tactics may work for the weak, but I am not weak. And you're just as much as I am, so don't throw the blogging stones. Save them for some adulterous woman you amnesiac hypocrite.]

I am going to answer these, but they'll be overlooked again, just like last time.
    I volunteer for a suicide prevention hot-line.
    I volunteer for a raype/abused women hot-line.
    Over the years, I have, (very similarly to you) taken in my daughter's friends for periods of time; this house has been, and always will be, a non-judgmental safe haven for these girls.

Now, pretty-please, quit acting like you and your causes are so much more worthy than anything else's.
    You embarass yourself by your continued one-upmanship.

My heart is big enough to be open to everyone, not just who *you* consider worthy.

I don't care what you did ten years ago; it's what you do on these pages that is so harmful.

November 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@Banasy...even a dog feeds her own puppies. And you would need a court's permission to take-in underaged girls into your home to live. Most decent folks take in friends of the family and help them get back on their feet...big deal. You asked if I went down and counceled girls girls concerning abortion. I do not. Do you? What is it that you do to share your wisdom in your real life with those having troubles? (not your cyber life) How many total strangers have you helped recover from depression, addictions to drugs and other things like seyx and food? How many obese women have you helped with your vast understanding of eating right and excercising? Have you ever helped a troubled young man like your own son (R.I.P.) to avoid comitting suicide? Have you spent years volunteering to answer suicide hotlines, for example. You are a very wise and experienced older woman. Surely you have shared this with many who aren't family and friends, right? Would it not honor the death of your son if you got involved helping?

November 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

...and you know what you look like better than I. I only have the one picture of you. Joey and I otentimes describe ourselves here, and describe what we do to keep in shape. But you've never done this, Donna, ever, here on CNN. Do you not see that fat women open themselves up to even more men whom would just use them and throw them away? Most men don't care if their wife becomes fat, thinking fewer men would pursue them. This is backwards thinking. Men who care for their bodies aren't attracted to people who don't. Big ugly fat slob men don't even have a chance with a woman who stays in shape...but the warthog woman IS available for them. You attack me every time i mention obesity epidemics. Why? he he

November 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

...what special training did you recieve, and what hotline did you answer, and for how many years. (pls include *citations*) Also, describe the people who called, and give accounts of how you spent your free-time getting involved in their lives and helping them with wise councel as well as struggles common to us all. Some examples would be helping them find employment, and helping them understand that sleeping around and taking drugs is what got them into trouble in the first place. I had one fella I was helping that had to be reminded to zip-up his trousers at first! Really. For like a month, ea. time I visted him, his pants would be unzipped! Anyway, I still ove you Donna, I just don't love what you do in support of sodomy and obesity, immorality in general, and the idea that an confused 18 yr. old should be making decisions that will change the life of another human, even deciding if an potential American should live or die.

November 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasyC

@Banasy…even a dog feeds her own puppies.[WHF?] And you would need a court’s permission to take-in underaged girls into your home to live.[For temporary situations, I need the parents permission. And for those over 16, no, I don't] Most decent folks take in friends of the family and help them get back on their feet…big deal.[According to you, I am not decent.and I'm not in a competi tion with you. You asked, I answered] You asked if I went down and counceled girls girls concerning abortion. I do not.
    [No, that is *not* what I asked. I am not repeating the question again, because you fail at reading comprehension]

Do you? [Asked and answered. Move on.]
    What is it that you do to share your wisdom in your real life with those having troubles? [Asked and answered. Will you *read* something besides your own pontifications?] (not your cyber life) How many total strangers have you helped recover from depression, addictions to drugs and other things like seyx and food? How many obese women have you helped with your vast understanding of eating right and excercising? [How many have *you?* Jack of all trades, master of none.]Have you ever helped a troubled young man like your own son (R.I.P.) to avoid comitting suicide?[Yes. And troubled young women who have escaped overbearing gfathers such as you.] Have you spent years volunteering to answer suicide hotlines, for example. You are a very wise and experienced older woman. Surely you have shared this with many who aren’t family and friends, right? Would it not honor the death of your son if you got involved helping?

[Do you not read anything I have said? Or do you just like being a jusgemental ass hole? Why am I answering this questions over and over, when I just stated them?]

November 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Okay, here we go again, with me answering you posts, and this time, I wil denote my answers BY ANSWERING IN CAPS, BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO OVERLOOK MY ANSWERS, PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU DON'T READ THEM, AS YOU'RE TOO BUSY WRITING YOUR NEXT INFLAMMATORY POST.

…and you know what you look like better than I. I only have the one picture of you.YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ME. YOU HAVE ASKED ME TO POST A PICTURE OF MYSELF SO YOU CAN "LOOK INTO MY EYES AND TELL ME WHETHER I'VE BEEN ABUSED...WHICH I HAVEN'T; YOU WILL NOT LISTEN. DESCRIBE ME. YOU CAN'T. I'VE NEVER SENT YOU A PICTURE, AND I NEVER WILL. Joey and I otentimes describe ourselves here, and describe what we do to keep in shape. But you’ve never done this, Donna, ever, here on CNN. NEITHETHER HAVE THE OTHER HUNDREDS OF POSTERS HERE; WHAT IS YOUR POINT? MY FITNESS SCEDULE ISN'T ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, MUCH LIKE THE REST OF MY LIFE.
    Do you not see that fat women open themselves up to even more men whom would just use them and throw them away? I CAN SEE THAT, I GUESS, BUT THAT HAS NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WTH MY LIFE, SO I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT OTHER WOMEN, UNLESS THEY ARE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
    Most men don’t care if their wife becomes fat, thinking fewer men would pursue them.
    MOST MEN AREN'T MY HUSBAND, EITHER, WHICH IS WHY HE'S MY HUSBAND. WE CARE ABOUT OUR LOOKS. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

This is backwards thinking. Men who care for their bodies aren’t attracted to people who don’t. Big ugly fat slob men don’t even have a chance with a woman who stays in shape…but the warthog woman IS available for them.
    MY HUSBAND AND I BOTH KNOW THIS; WHICH IS WHY FIDELITY NEVER HAS BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE AN ISSUE WITH US.

You attack me every time i mention obesity epidemics. Why? he he

I DO NOT ATTACK YOU, I POINT OUT FLAWS IN YOUR THINKING, SUCH AS ONLY WOMEN ARE FAT, AND THEN YOU USE THE WAL-MART VIDS AS YOUR PROOF.
    MEN ARE FAT ASSES, TOO, BUT IN YOUR HATRED OF ALL THINGS FEMALE, YOU FAIL TO POINT THAT OUT.

November 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Leah didn't "fled" you old hag. She was just a little girl kidnapped illegally by her own mother. get a clue.//You claim that I got your "panty party" by pretending to be your Facebook friend. This is a lie, here is the proof: http://www.inthe 00s.com/archive/membersonly/1030713642.shtml

November 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |