Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Philip

...now don't be so stupid to think that when you emptied your online Photobucket that "poof" it's gone forever. I'm sick of you old enabler hags constantly trashing meaningful discussions (threads) here on CNN every single day. Like whenever Joey and I arre in the middle of something, along come the old hag ladies to trash the place. (and that link isn't even hardly a Sprinkle and you know it) And yes, most everyone equates troubled children with troubled mothers.

November 6, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Ohhh! The OO's blog! Thanks! I still have many friends from my time there: I guess I have been using that "party in my panties line" longer than I thought!

November 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Probably where you saw a pic of me then; I posted one there. Pretty, aren't I?

November 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Big Monsters make little monsters

Ask virtually any therapist who refuses to further cloud the mind of a troubled young man even further by prescribing drugs that themselves have warning labels: CAUTION: causes weight gain and brain damage. Very single troubled youth has a missing mother...even if she's there, she's missing. Get a clue you old hag lady enablers. You didn't burn your bras to make it easier for a baby to suckle and you know it.

November 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I see that you haven't answered me again.
    Typical.
    Don't like someone else talking smack about your kid, do you?
    Then stop talking about mine, which you are so fond of doing.

I'M PUTTING IT ALL CAPS AGAIN; LET IT RAIN, SO EVERYONE CAN SEE PRECISLY HOW HAVE YOU BEEN OBSESSED WITH ME. DO NOT TRY TO SAY IT'S BECAUSE OF MY UNIQUE USERNAME; IT'S NOT, AND YOU KNOW IT. LET IT RAIN, LET IT SPRINKLE, LET IT HAIL, WHATEVER. FOR EVERYTHING YOU SAY, ***IN CONTEXT***, IF ANYONE DESIRES AN EXPLANATION, I SHALL GIVE IT.
    I'M TIRED OF YOU MINIMIZENG WOMEN THE WAY YOU DO, I'M TIRED OF YOUR CONTINUED ATTACKS, I'M TIRED OF YOU ACTING AS IF YOUR WORDS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT MATTER, LITTLE BOY. YOU WON'T CONQUER WHAT YOU'VE NEVER HAD, SO FOCUS YOUR POOR, TWISTED LITTLE MIND ELSEWHERE, MISOGYNISTIC KID.
    YOU ARE, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE BIGGEST HAG ON THESE BLOGS, AND YOU KNOW IT.

November 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I get the feeling that your mother burned her bra, Philip.
    Mine didn't, and I certainly didn't.

November 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. No, you are butt ugly and you know it.

I adore women whom raise their kids proper, no matter what they look like. I've helped several obese people get back to their natural weight over the past 20 years. The way to a healthy body is not the way Jenny Craig nor your MD tells you. It involves no drugs, and is as simple as 1-2-3. But it only works for those who truly desire to be healthy. If all you want to do is sit on your fat asses and blog all day, maybe yo-yo dieting is what "works" for you.. I adore women, but I do NOT adore what the average waterbuffalo American woman does to her kids nor hers own body and mind.

November 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Yeah, "probably"...NOT. gn ladies and gents. If any of you desire to attain to your natural weight, I will help you as I have helped many others. A healthy body comes before a healthy mind. c-ya round.

November 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Oh, wow.
    Tension on the board.
    I'm on my way home. Worked/sweated my be-
    hind off today: good way to drop a few pounds, BTW.
    I hate to see people that I like going at each other, but there's not much I can do about it.
    Scottish Mama is onto something.
    I think, banasy and Philip, that you'll keep going at these issues–which really are NOT abortion and the health club–until what is really going on occurs to both of you. Then you'll resolve it.
    Somehow.
    The "how" part will be interesting.

November 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@philip:
    Typical of you not to answer to anything I've said.
    I admire and respect a man who will own up to being wrong about someone, to admit to his mistakes.

For obvious reasons, I do not admire and respect you.

November 6, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@JIF:
    I leave him alone, until he makes a pot-shot about me and mine.
    If he left me alone, I would do the same.

You've read all of what I've done; will you keep them in mind for the *next* time I have to repeat myself?

I ignore him; I sometimes think he takes the potshots at me so I *will* engage him.
    I should know better.
    But sometimes it is so fun!

November 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, banasy.
    You still seem to be here.
    I just talked to my wife, who found a misplaced-in-moving silver ice bucket.

November 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I read that banter quickly, so some won't stick in my mind. Also, I'm tired.
    I you enjoy this sword fight, good!
    Hm.

November 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I meant, "if" you enjoy...

November 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Nah, I'm done with him.
    I only get ticked when he brings up my kids, such as "those who survived the ordeal" on having me as their mother, insinuating things about my son.

Phil's a lost cause.
    I'm washing my hands of that particular germ.

Gn, Joey.