Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Disturbed Fem

Mom! I don't need 300 bucks after all! I researched it and they have partial birth abortions now. So I only need a hundred and fifty.

November 5, 2011 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Vote "Yes" on prop. 184b

If proposition 184b passes, the next President will be sworn-in with his hand on a dead fetus, and Congress will pray to a rusty coathanger before each session.

November 5, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. the unwanted

[un] WANTED: Dead or Alive: Fetus

November 5, 2011 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Publius

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question?" Do we ask non-economic majors to decide taxation and spending issues in the State? Or should only accountants decide such a question? You have to give the voting public more credit than you are willing to do in this matter. It is not a medical or scientific question, it is a humanities question. When do we begin to value life? Is it in the moment after birth? Is two seconds before that no longer a life worth the protection of the State? What about three seconds? Ten? Yes, the mother has rights to her body as well. There is a time when the rights of the child growing within her supersede her rights. When is that right to be granted? Your doctor does not have a better answer than you, me, or the average Mississippian. If we vow to protect the life of a born child, why ought we not protect that child just before it is born?

November 5, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. ICUnurse

If a woman is on a particular medication, such as Cytotec for arthritis or methotrexate for treatment of breast cancer, they might also become pregnant. Both of these drugs cause spontaneous abortion, particularly early in pregnancy. Will these drugs no longer be available to women in Mississippi because they might be pregnant, or become pregnant? Think it's just rare drugs you'll never need? The partial list of category "X" drugs includes Restoril, pretty much any "statin" drug, most NSAIDs (3rd trimester), Aspirin in the third trimester, Flagyl, macrodantin, and most pain killers, especially if they are in combination with a NSAID or asprin like fiorinol. So do these drugs go off the market in Mississippi because they might accidentally cause an abortion? Do they arrest the pharmacist? Do you have to come in and do a pregnancy test before the pharmacist gives your your daily medication? What about when I'm working in the ER and a female patient comes in with a MVA and is lifeless. Do I have to wait for a pregnancy test to make sure it's okay to give the drugs to attempt a code on the patient? We check for pregnancy if there's time, but if the mom dies, the child's not going to live either. Will we see ER staff, doctors and nurses, being taken out in handcuffs and charged with murder because they saved a woman's life at the cost of an unborn child who would have died with the mother? This is going to be a nightmare.

November 5, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

To continue Publius's (and some others') reasoning:
    If we protect the life of a fertilized egg as we would that of a one-year-old child, I want to protect the life of my pet rock and get some welfare checks for it.
    All of my children have grown up and moved out of the house, and my pet rock is where I put my protection and love.
    I have also made a personal decision to worship it. I obey its messages and signs, so I propose an initiative that, when made law, will prevent its being harmed in the State of New York.
    I believe in the signs and voices sent to me by "The Rock," the Name I have given it and written on parchment, just because I believe it.

November 5, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. sunnyd55

The progressives like to use “big government involvement” when it is convenient to them. The federal government should not interfere with the policies of a sovereign state. Federal government medaling in state affairs has only added to the woes that plague this republic. It is palatable for the federal government to impose or try to impose laws that govern what we eat, drive, how much money we should make and why we should redistribute earned wealth to those who have not earned it, how to parent OUR children, what kind of car to drive, where we can or can not pray. If the fine people of Mississippi believe that this law is no good, don’t vote for it and if you do, vote for it. The federal government and the populous of the remaining states should butt out. It is none of your business. Let the sovereign rights and legislative actions of states stay in each state.

November 5, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ ICUnurse:
    Almost everybody in Mississippi who would vote for this initiative would deem your post irrelevant.
    Most of those would not understand what you wrote.
    Thank for your noble attempt to encourage logic.

November 5, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ sunnyd55:
    Remember Vicksburg!
    My great-grandfather survived its siege.
    Da-
    mn Yankees.

November 5, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Azalea Fields Forever!

November 5, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • sunnyd55

Don't forget the grits with your eggs Sir.

November 5, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

We got trouble!
    Right here in Mississippi!
    Pharmaceuticals!
    Balzac!
    @ sunnyd55:
    I will grant you that one of the most valuable experiences in human life is a big serving of grits with a lot of butter.

November 5, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • sunnyd55

Try it with melted cheese...

November 5, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Right Wing Insanity"

"Guys...it's really simple....why even get involved with all this hype and insideous mumbo jumbo...do like I do....leave your dick at home !"

November 5, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ sunnyd55:
    What kind of cheese?
    My way with grits is already just about perfect.
    Beaucoup de beurre.
    Our Mississippi family's gumbo is fantastic, but I don't have time to make it.

November 5, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My gym is open now (7:00 AM), so I have to go. It's the day to do legs, and Saturday morning gets too crowded unless I get there early.

November 5, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • sunnyd55

enjoy and God bless

November 5, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

Cnn would not print my post.
    What was it I could not say right to privacy 14th A mend m ent.

November 5, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |