Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Scottish Mama

They will not let me type statistics.

November 5, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • kimsland

Yes they will Scottish

Percentage of CNN readers

Normal People | 50%
      Crazy People. | 50%

Overall percentage of religious CNN readers 50% (None of which are normal)

By the way, watch out for 'vulgar' words inside common words, ie T!TLE, see how I cannot put the 'i' in it.

November 5, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. First Came Spermatozoa, then the Zygote

Outlaw male masturbaition!

It's a sin in the Bible too!

Spermatozoa are living cells.

Don't you support the Right to Life for a precious little spermatozoon?

Make spermicide a crime! It's like mass homicide!

November 5, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. sunnyd55

Abortion….Since nineteen seventy three fifty million abortions committed. One percent due to incest and or abortion, the other ninety-nine percent due to pregnancy being an inconvenience.

November 5, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • kimsland

Your point?

Of course they aborted their pregnancy because it was an inconvenience, otherwise they would have had it.
      I don't understand your point exactly? If you are saying we should have the ability to abort any pregnancy that will 100% guarantee the unborn person will be religious one day, then I agree. Is that your point?

November 5, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

2.1% to other, 2.8 to risk to mother, 3.3 risk to baby
      7.9 do not want more children

November 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sunnyd55

Try and use a little decency and self control. Use contraception. You may even save yourself from an std.

November 5, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. jnur987

If it doesn't start at conception when does it start??? If it is ok to abort a baby before birth why is it different after birth. Both would technically infinge on a womens rights??? Why is before birth ok and after birth muder??? Both should be...Has nothing to do with religion..

November 5, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

A few days ago I couldn't get a post accepted because it used the word "ent!tlement."
    "Bon appet!t" is also too vulgar–oh well, only aliens say that.

November 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My fine offering, about the time that life begins and addressed to jnur987, was rejected, perhaps by divine intervention, or because it contained these words:
    begins, sp#rm, exit, body, unforg!vable, si-n, swal-low, can-
    nibalism, fortunately, never, oc-
    cu-
    rred.

November 5, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. Try jokes and quotes to make your stand on abortion clear.

Hay! You folks joke about some serious topics here on CNN. Banasy is famous for her obscene gesting. (J-pan nuclear crisis...Banasy riding her friends spent rod. Happy Birthday? Banasy's "party in my panties", etc, etc, etc.) Soooo...try telling some jokes or even making some serious quotes to show where you stand on the abortion issue. I'll go first and keep going till someone butts in...then I'll keep going. 🙂 gm Joey.

November 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mmmmm

Life begins at conception everybody knows it otherwise you there would be a need to kill what is not living wake up people!

November 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

correction: no need to kill what is not living.

November 5, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. Portland tony

Personhood ....ha...It's like considering a chicken's egg a chicken! A viable infant is a person. Intellectually, to me, abortion is wrong. Realistically, who is to care for, nurture, and love these unwanted children if brought into this world? The Church ..Ha...The prolife politicians ...Ha. Ha.

November 5, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Good morning.
    My position on abortion has been stated here many times: I am in favor of abortion on demand, and I'd rather that my taxes pay for abortions than for the living expenses of poor children and their poor but fe-
    cund mothers eternally.

November 5, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip @ Joey.

Great. Try quoting some famous people or telling a joke to make your stand clearer. "Has not the weakest [unborn] babe a more enourmous value, because he is a potential [American] man, than a grove of the highest trees?"-Cicero, showing how some value the life of a seedling tree than that of a seedling human.

November 5, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cicero

"God gave man his life, yet you [Joey] would destroy it [to save] a few oieces of silver?" Do you believe, then, that you are wiser than [President Bush's or Obama's] God...that gold is more valuable than [even potential] human life? Then you have uttered the most terrible blasphemy of all."

November 5, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. justathought

What this really about is the irresopsiability of people who want their cake and eat it too.

November 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

1998 poll on 1987-88, 25.5 % postpone childbearing, 21.3% cannot afford, 14.1% relationship problem partner does not want it
    12.2% too young parents and others do not want pregnancy, 10.8 will disrupt job or education,
    7.9 do not want more children