Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. MFS

"The greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion, which is war against the child. The mother doesn't learn to love, but kills to solve her own problems. Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want." Mother Theresa

So, basically what the pro-abortion campaign is saying is this – if a baby gets in your way, kill it. By this logic, no one is safe until they pass through the birth canal. If a woman kills her baby after birth, she gets a prison sentence, however if she allows a doctor to mutilate a viable child in utero, it's all good. This isn't human rights, this is human genocide in an insanely selfish culture.

November 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Stay out of my business and I will do the same for you. You deal with your God and leave me to deal with mine. What I do with my body is none of your concern.

November 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

Good one, Dott

I've never heard that before. You can defend your right to kill until you're dead. And, I will do my part to defend life of the children who will never have a voice until I am dead. I don't care about YOUR uterus, I care about the life that might be in it that isn't yours for the taking.

November 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. @Joey

The above quote of Cicero's was taken from one of the most famous legal battles in human history, where the defendant was a man who had exposed the corruption in the Roman Senate. This man's own son's robbed him of even his small furniture just as America has been robbed of over 100 million small potential citizens by promiscuous women and the men they breed with...even US Senators whom cheat on their wives and approve abortion to avoid being publicly exposed had the illigitimate child had been allowed to live and the mother seek child support. I await your reply.

November 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

@mmmm So When a couple goes into an invitro clinic and freezes the embryo (Cells) it is murder? Or if they do not need the other 6 and they are thrown out they will have 6 counts of murder against them?

November 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

@momma you already know the answer. That is why vitro insemination is wrong. It is an evil promoted as a good. Life is treated indiferently here, a commodity and a tool, opened to any assault from safety of its mother's womb. Frozen embryos are highest form of disregard after abortion. The sacredness of life is assaulted and its dignity disregarded. It is an evil that mocks life.

November 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

@Philip-not all people are religious and not all people believe it is a sin. Should only relgious people vote because they should make decisions for everyone.

November 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

This isn't just a religious matter. Aristotle reconized life in the womb just from natural law and the physics of life in his observations...stop being so deceitful.

November 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dott

What is it with people who demand that a woman deliver an unwanted child? Do those people want that child? Do those people want to educate, feed and house it? According to many of our politicians – don't abort it but don't ask the tax payer to support it. Even if the world is becoming over populated – You must have that unwanted baby! What a country.

November 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

It's called adoption services.

November 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

At this point I must borrow a term from
      Phillip you are trully a HAG. you profess yourself a defender of women's right and yet you are incapable of the defending the thing which makes a woman woman...giver if life and bearer of creation...trully a HAG and a enemy to the dignities of women.

November 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

...and ultimately an enemy to humanity!

November 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Question How many of you pro-lifers have actually adopted an unwanted child? Very few I would imagine if so, why is it that our children's homes are over flowing and yet people go over seas to adopt? Answer that one if you can. Don't believe in abortions – then don't have one. I won't say a word.

November 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

@dott you talk so much crap...this country is sooooo rich that it can give billions to other countries as a matter of policy and interests further this planet isn't running out of space...there isn't any legitamate reason to kill the unborn and no reason to pressure/coerce someone to have an abortion...

November 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

I find one of the lines in the first paragraph enlightning, Gov. Haley Barbour "*He* decided it was at conception.
    Mississippi is burning again. They have decided to choose for everyone in their state.

November 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CraZy Phil

Who would like to explain the logic behind it being illegal to pluck an American Bald Eagle's developing egg from it's nest and destroy it, but legal to do the same with with a human fetus developing in IT's nest?

November 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

They were extinct with low numbers, obviously we are not. It does not have to do with being alive or cells.

November 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

No one can justify it because it's completely illogical.

November 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Big difference here – it is MY egg and MY body so who should make decisions about it? No one else. If it is a mistake not to have that baby that is my mistake, and I won't blame Phill ,whom is gather is a male. When you can have a baby Phil then perhaps you will have that right no refuse to have a baby OR deliver it.

November 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

@dott the unborn is not your body, it has its own separate autonomy: DNA, blood genotype, gender, and body, separate circulation

November 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

mmmmm male I would assume. No it is my body and my egg. Therefor I can decide what I want to do with MY body and MY egg. Attend to your own business and leave others to do the same.

November 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

Late term, 71% found it hard to tell parent or partner, 24% took time to decide, 8% waited for relationship to change,
    8% pressured not to have one, 6% something changed after pregnancy, 6% did not know it was important,
    5% did not know she could have one, 2% diagnosed fetal problem late in pregnancy
    11% other

November 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

I also find that people who do not want other people to have access to an abortion are also people who do not want to teach about pregnancy and reproductive organs in school by a nurse or doctor.

November 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

That's because the nurse or doctor is handing out condoms to their 12 year olds.

November 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

In schools where children are 11 and 12 having intercourse.

November 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dott

Oh yes and lets talk about God. He seems to be brought up frequently in personal decisions. Why is it o.k. to go against his will that you not have a baby and yet it is o.k. to fertilize an egg in a petri dish and place it into a woman and it does not even have to be her egg. Leave God out of a woman's decision to deliver a baby or to relieve herself of a few cells that will become an unwanted child. Early termination will be only a mass of tissue or a few cells.

November 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@philip:

Oh, we're back to that?
    Those jokes are obscene only in very small, repressed, fanatical, obsessed minds.
    One thing you got right: they were jokes.
    Let it go, Spaceman Spiff.
    I see somebody is putting rules on reply qutoes.
    Ok, I'll play.
    Hey! (For it is spelled 'hey' unless the quoted is coming straight from the horse's mouth)
    Here we go:

"Any fool knows that distressed women should decide when life begins. Who are these elected officials to tell us pregnant 18 year olds? This is a moral outrage! Free the fetus! Power to the coathanger!"-Disturbed Fem

"I'll have the baby-oh yeah, please send me your name and address so I can present you with the baby you decided was more important that my ability to raise it." -banasy©

"Mom? I’m pregnant again. Can I borrow 300 dollars?" -Disturbed Fem

"Mom, guess what? I'm pregnant, and I decided to have the baby because the father of the baby is going to raise it." -banasy©
    *Disclaimer: this is not a true-life experience, for those who can't tell the difference between a joke and reality, a problem humorous people often can't tell without a disclaimer)

"I don’t need 300 bucks after all! I researched it and they have partial birth abortions now. So I only need a hundred and fifty" – Disturbed Fem

"I don't need any money from you because dad decided to take responsibility for the kid because I'm unable at this time to do so" -banasy©

“Guys…it’s really simple….why even get involved with all this hype and insideous mumbo jumbo…do like I do….leave your dick at home !” -Jeff Frank

Someone with sense.-banasy©

November 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CraZy Phil

@Scottish Mama...great. I find it odd that virtually everyone understands that even a Bald Eagles ferilized egg is valuable and should be protected by law...yet argue when it's about a fertilized human egg, or even an 28 week old fetus still developing from said fertilized egg. Do you not find this odd?

November 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I find it odd that men make decisions for a woman.

November 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

@ SCOTTISH MAMA

I find it odd that women make decisions to kill.

November 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MFS

......and I"M A MOTHER.

November 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Philip I also find it odd that a man,such as yourself, being abused as a child would find it okay for a girl to be abused and have to have the child from that abuse.

November 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

I think I do not have the right to decide for anyone else. They have to make the decision. I am glad I never had to make it. But I am not god and I refuse to judge another woman on a decision that is hers to make for her situation. Making decisions for others does not stop it, it makes it illegal and deadly.

November 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

Philip is all these people?

November 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

Okay everyone out of the street, I feel a showdown at the CNN Corral coming on, see ya folks later.

November 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |