Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Retarded Child:
    You sound like Parsifal, asking, "whom does the Grail serve?"
    Charles Darwin was.
    We don't know why, and that is enough to know.

November 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Darwin's creators were his mother and his father. LOL. ūüôā

November 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Oh sooo darwin's backwoods azzzz parents holds the patent on making babies...I THINK NOT

November 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@Joey. Hogwash. How many Bald Eagles have died of AIDS, EQ's, Wars, Occupations, heart disease, etc. How many young male eagles have been rayped by adult male Bald Eagles? How many expectant mother Eagles willingly punch holes in their eggs? The human speicies in under far greater threat than the Bald Eagle, whose primary enemy is American men whom kill them for sport...even to the brink of extinction. We trust our leaders to make laws that protect both the eagle and the eagles eggs and for very good reasons. If you, Joey, were to simply post that "It is right for laws to protect fertilized eagle eggs" you would be admitting to the obvious, and also posing this question: Is an fertilized eagles egg more valuable than an fertilized human egg...more urgent than a developing fetus?

November 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

EAGLE S ARE GOING EXTINCT,HUMAMS ARE THE REASON.EAGLE EGGS SHOULD BE SAVED!

November 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@JIF:
    Every opinion that differs from Sheriff Woody's is going to be labeled as "hogwash", a polite term for the BS he so frequently spreads around.

November 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

Does anyone know who put this on the ballot for voting? It takes money to have this done, who bank rolled it?

November 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Well, when the eagles start talking about what their preferences are, I guess they can vote on what they want.

And before someone says "what about the clumps of cells? What about their voice?"...well, the one who decides that would be the one who body is carrying said clumps of cells.
    Because at that point, they're not even a fetus yet.

November 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    Many humans are not stupid, in spite of the fact that many are.
    Many of us got the connotations of your Eagle Egg shtick, and you know that I certainly did. It was insulting for you, in spite of your awareness, to explain it to me in public, for the public's benefit, although I don't care.
    I'm harder to lead on a mental leash than you think.

November 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Not to mention the fact that eagle eggs are external.
    One might have a more valid argument if human eggs were external, also.
    But since they're not...

November 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

About Eagles...the average number of eagle eggs that hatch and grow to maturity is two. The mother eagle feeds and shelters both, and when it's time for the young eagles to fly, she lets them know by nudging them to the edge of the nest. Oftentimes, one her young refuses to fly away and start it's own life and family. so the mother attacks and kicks the rebelious youth out of the nest who has two choices: fly or die. Notice how many human mothers keep their children from flying away. Many even raise their grandkids for their irresponsible children, thereby enabling them to go play rather than to go be responsible citizens. Millions of adults still live at home with their mother even past the age of 30...claiming to be "helping mom". Learn from the eagle who taught us how to fly. Don't punch holes in the heads of developing fetuses in your womb. Teach your children to "fly" and if they refuse, kick them out of the nest. But above all, risk even your own life to protect the child from those who want it.

November 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

I think untill we change the skiddishness of being able to talk about or print s3x, we will never be able to stop abortions. Until the discussion on having the ACT are out in the open, it all will be taboo. If you cannot have children explain an Act how are they to know that it is not right for an adult to do it to them. I think when we are ready to arm ourselves and our children with knowledge of what *it* is, we can turn our culture to know the difference and embrace responsibility of self. Til then I think we let everyone make their own decisions.
    I have also found that when I was young, it was not the public school children that I went to school with that had alot of se88X, It was the kids that went to all girls and boys schools where it was suppose to be taboo.

November 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Have you noticed that not one man has agreed to hand out their address to support a woman who cannot raise a child, for whatever reason?Have you noticed that no woman has, either?

November 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @Banasy

Don't be so rediculous. Eagle eggs are fertilized inside of a female eagle where the egg then grows. It is illegal to to punch holes in eagles eggs even when they are inside of the expectant mother eagle. You are skirting the issue with your childish reasonings. YOU are afraid to post that laws protecting fertilized eagle eggs are good and righteous for one single reason...human life is more sacred than eagle life in the eyes of your Catholic God. And so is the life of a potential human more valuable to your God than that of a potential eagle. No?

November 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    I want to give you one point.
    I "researched" the Manitou Incline, which you suggested running up with me.
    If you meant non-stop, and really running, I'm not sure that I could do that anymore.
    You would win that round. I have better cells for lifting than I have for aerobics at 115.
    I tried to compare it to something I did like that. When I was young, I scrambled up Mt. Vesuvius very quickly with two friends, and that's much higher.
    But–I once broke a leg very badly, and the surgeon told me that I would never run again, "even across the room."
    I told him I would run a marathon, and he repeated that I would never run, and gave me a lecture on reality.
    I never trained for a marathon, but I did run again, and I won a race against a young male dancer in Central Park.

November 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jester & jackal

Let me just say the last time there was an amendment passed based on religious self righteousness we created organized crime as a by product. (prohibition)

Though passing the amendment in a single state stops nothing. Just need to go over the border to get your morning after on.

November 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |