Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards
Mississippi votes on a "personhood" initiative this year. Similar measures in other states have been soundly defeated.
November 4th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Life at conception' amendment is backwards

Comments of the Day:

"Why is it that everywhere I turn the religious people are trying to destroy civil rights in this country?"–shockerwhoa3

"GOP legislating morality again, I thought they were for small government?"–TheMFTruth

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he decided life does begin with conception, an issue Mississippi voters will vote on this Tuesday. Most CNN.com readers said the state amendment to define when life begins was regressive and poorly thought out.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person

Norps asked, "What right have the voters to decide such a question? Most of them are uninformed on the medical or scientific facts and are voting by their gut feelings: completely inappropriate to put such a question to the voters."

new2wi said, "This type of primitive thinking is not surprising; after all Mississippi public schools rank 50th in the nation."

discofever21 said, "This is a philosophical question as much as it is a question of science or religion. It needs continued debate so I applaud the measure on its merits at least. I personally go back and forth on the issue." CedarRapids replied, "I'm not sure making state constitutional amendments based on philosophical questions is a great idea."

rfulle12 said, "And so it begins. The attack on Roe v. Wade will be a big issue this coming election. The conservative right does not look too different than the mullahs in Iran. They want to control every aspect of our lives based on their view of religion. Scary stuff indeed!"

Capercorn said, "I'm a Roman Catholic. However, it only takes a trip to your nearest closet to be reminded that coat hangers exist. And everyone and their grandma agrees that those are bad. This is one of those many instances where something looks like it works on paper, but in practice, works horribly."

soporifix said, "It's easier dealing with stupid stuff like this than any actual problems. That's why Republicans love abortion."

MOrsini said, "We can assume that the state will take care of all the unwanted children then, meaning taxpayers will pay for each and every single one of them that is given up for adoption yet does not end up adopted ... talk about poorly thought-out propositions."

NuttinWrong said, "If people don't want kids, they don't have to have them. I'd rather hear about 2,000 abortions than 2,000 unwanted children."

MET100 said, "When men start having babies, as in being pregnant, it would be an appropriate discussion as to 'Choice.' Until then this is a woman's decision and the state has no right to interfere."

waldenu08 asked, "So does this mean that 1) child support begins at conception, and 2) corporations are NOT persons in Mississippi?"

toth88 asked, "When does America get to vote on whether Mississippi is a state?"

Put the elderly on ice?

At what point do we surrender to death, asks 83-year old sociologist and CNN.com columnist Amitai Etzioni. Regardless of age, "we should learn to accept death more readily' and "stop aggressive interventions when there is little hope," he writes. Many CNN.com readers said they wanted to be able to exit gracefully.

MindFire07 said, "I want to die on my own terms. I refuse to be forced into confinement in a bed with a useless, broken body until I finally expire.If I ever find out that I'm on Death's short list, then I'll ask him to put me on the VIP list. No need to spend resources on sustaining whatever's left of my time. Spend it on those who need it, those who need just a jump start to be productive."

LBColorado said, "For me, personally, I do not want my family to endure my pain. Therefore, if a machine is keeping me alive, unplug it. The percentages are not in my favor and I am OK to 'Let go and Let God.' "

Christie said, "Quality of life, not age, should be the # 1 criteria. What is the point in living if you are unable to enjoy the simplest things? We should all be able to say enough is enough and be allowed to go off into the sunset in peace."

AngryDeuce said, "I watched all four of my grandparents suffer and die as they were ravaged by terminal cancer. After going through that, I made a decision: I refuse to suffer needlessly. When there's no hope left for me, I plan to leave this world on my own terms, regardless of what the current legal status of euthanasia is."

But rickygf said, "There's no such thing as dying gracefully. I'm terminally ill and want every minute. I do have good health care, thanks to the VA."

COULROPHILE asked, "Can someone please explain to me why people in their 60s are getting organ transplants?" Guest said, "Try asking this again when you're 60 and lying in a hospital bed with only 6 months to live and you need a transplant. Once you experience that you will have your answer."

handshake said, " 'Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there' is an old saying."

seallover said, "I plan to live to 150 because I have a lot of work to do and intend to do it to benefit my fellow man. I don't care if I have to wear a Darth Vader suit to stay alive, I damn well better be compensated by my Medicare."

1. @Milk of Magnesia

Please don't insult everyone's intelligence any more by pretending you don't know the difference between a human egg and an eagle's egg.

And *I'm* not afraid of a thing.

And because o was baptized catholic, as *you* were, doesn't mean a thing.
    I parted ways with the RMC many years ago for their archaic ways and the treatment of women by them.
    So your little digs mean absolutely nothing.

I am skirting nothing; I'm not the one making idiotic analogies that make no sense to anyone except the one who hatched it.

I've stated my views on abortion many times, but I'll state it again for you since you are too dim to understand:

I would never have an abortion, but I would never infringe on anyone's right to choose for herself.

Is that *plain* enough for you?

If my views are childish, that's because I have to continually dumb them down for people such as yourself who cannot grasp an adult concept.

November 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Mmmmm:
    I would never "pressure/coerce" (your quote) any woman to have an abortion.
    You have no business trying to "pressure/coerce" a woman not to have an abortion, although I know that you think it's your business, and I know the irrational cognition that helps you excuse your thinking that it's your business.

November 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Retarded Child

Is not the fetus's body a separate ent-i-ty from the mothers?

November 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dott

NO it is not. Otherwise it could sustain itself without blood from the mother. Only when that cord is cut is it a separate enity.

November 5, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Has anybody here ever tasted eagle flesh (cooked)?
    I wonder...it may taste like chicken, or turkey...
    We have one osprey that fishes at the lake. Hm.
    Naw. I even get one free turkey this year. I'm donating it, and buying my own.
    Eagle...turkey...whale steak...
    Eagle eggs.

November 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jester & jackal

Another note an abortion is a choice that the bearer makes. The same as owning a gun. I like to know I have the option. I rather have freedom of choice than the tyranny of another imposing their will on me. Telling someone they can't do something because it is against your views is the same as sharia law

November 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

There isn't a reason in the world to pressure/coerce a woman *into* having the baby either.
    Therein lies the crux of this problem.

@JIF:
    I see what you did there. 😉

November 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

:)ing @Joey. he he...I wasn't thinking of racing up the incline, just enjoying a jog together. I'm over 50, and don't push-it unless I'm hooping it with my bruthas at Memorial Park. If you ever get the opportunity to visit Colrado Springs, you and yours are welcome in my house, and I would dearly enjoy being your personal tour guide of the Pikes Peak vicinity. Our community is among the finest, and our natural wonders are hardly matched. You strike me as a good hearted man, and this is a genuine offer my friend. A better tour guide and host would be hard for you to find. And not to brag, but my 8th grade JHS record set near 40 years ago still stands at 5:37 for the mile run. Acourse it's a small school. 🙂

November 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Why is it that anti-abortionists never say anything about improving the quality of life after the baby is born?
    Oh, that's right.
    It's because they only care that the baby gets born in the first place, and could care less what happens to the baby after that.

November 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

@ and in the face of Banasy...there is good reason for your refusal to acknowledge the fact that Eagle eggs are fertilized and grow inside of the mother, even childishly reasoning that there's a difference because the eggs end-up in a nest. Your own Catholic God values the life of an unborn eagle, AND holds sacred the life of an unborn child. Surely you can admit that it is NOT your own God's spirit that moved men to make abortion legal. No? And if it wasn't your God's spirit that moved them, then what exactly was it that did?

November 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jj

i know a woman that has had 5 abortions! that just Isnt right and you people cannot justify that

November 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

Coming to a state near you.
    Personhood USA, Supporters also want raype and in8cest survivors to have the baby because,"Raype and enc8st victims should have the baby, because a baby is not he worst thing that could happen to a raype victim, abortion is".

November 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Dippity Do-Dah:
    He is not "my 'catholic' God".
    That's a catholic preconception, of which I do not subscribe, which I have just told you, if you weren't so busy writing your answers before reading anyone's replies.
    Anyone familiar of birds *knows* that an egg is fertilized inside the mother.
    She then lays it, and gestation is done externally.
    And anybody with rational, cognitive thought knows that it's impossible for the human body to lay a fertilized egg for external gestation.
    I'm not being the childish one, Philip; your analogies are just bad.
    Surely you admit that it is; otherwise, why would your seventeen year old inner child keep harping on it?
    Come up with a better one, and quit trying to tell me what it is I believe, because you haven't the foggiest idea of what that is, and never did.

I will type this very slowly, so you can understand what it is I am saying.

I was baptized RC, as you were, but I do not follow their teachings any more, primarily because of their archaic thought processes concerning women and the reproductive rights thereof.
    Oh, another is their shameful ways concerning the cover-up of priestly molestation of children.

Can I make it any plainer than that?

I think even "Retarded Child" can understand that.

Your psychological manipulations may work with the dim; I'm not dim.

November 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@Phil-in-the-blanks:

My "catholic" God is the same one as *your* "catholic" God.
    Get it?

November 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@Bsay... I asked you a siimple and direct question: If it is not God's Spirit that moved men to make abortion leagal, what exactly did move them. I say that they were moved by lust. I say that the ONLY reason our Legislative Branch of government didn't strike-down the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade opinion that led to the legalization of abortion is the FACT that our legislatuve branch has been taken-over by men who cheat on their wives and approve of abortion for PERSONAL reasons...more concerned with themselves than those of our nation, just as an promiscuous woman is with her own carmal lusts than with her natural desire to bear and raise children. Abortion was made legal to destroy the evidence that would otherwise be living proof of just how much you love pleasure over a child's very life. Danged old Hags and the men who hump them to abort. your days are coming. Every child's life destroyed WILL be avenged.

November 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. abort jokes

After the good doktor trims the baby girl's belly chord, he pokes a hole in her head, sucks her brains out, and spits them into a bucket. The mother screams "What are you doing to my baby!" The good and hippocratic oath doktor replies "Only kidding! She was wasn't really alive."

November 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |