November 7th, 2011

2 Penn state officials tied to Sandusky sex abuse case step down

Two Penn State university officials who are accused of misleading a grand jury in their investigation into child sexual abuse allegations against former coach Jerry Sandusky have stepped down, the university said early Monday morning.

Penn State Athletic Director Timothy Curley, 57, and Gary Schultz, 62, the university's senior vice president for finance and business, face charges of one count of perjury each.

They stepped down late Sunday after an emergency meeting of the university's board of trustees.

Curley and Schultz "allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury that was investigating a series of assaults on young boys," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said over the weekend.

Earlier, Penn State President Graham Spanier said Curley and Schultz have his "unconditional support."

"I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee," he said, adding that the charges are "groundless."

Curley requested to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote time needed to defend himself, the university said Monday. Schultz will go into retirement, it said.

The man at the center of the case is former assistant football coach Sandusky, 67, who served 23 years as defensive coordinator for the Nittany Lions,

Sandusky allegedly engaged in fondling, oral sex and anal sex with young boys over a period of more than 10 years, according to an investigative grand jury's summary of testimony.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: College football • Jerry Sandusky • Joe Paterno • Penn State • U.S.
  1. Ken

Wow. The most amazing thing. Throughout the entire article there's No Mention of The Catholic Church. How can this be? Are we certain it's not 'Father Sandusky' we're talking about? Sorry for the cynicism.

November 7, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. Blair THOmas

Sandusky is now being recruited by every Catholic school in the country.

November 7, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

How simple it would be for the Roman Catholic Church to eliminate this reputation by allowing priests to marry: ped-
    ophiles would no longer be able to use that denomination as a hiding place.

November 7, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Gm Joey. Allowing openly gay priest's to marry wouldn't even put a dent in their lust for young men under the age of 18. Now, if the majority of US priests were openly straight, you might have a point. But that's simply not the case. Who here can deny the fact that many older gay men do not lust for younger men, even those under 18 just as str8 men do for girls? If you can't see the gay connection with boy raype, you are blind in that eye. (let's discuuss this topic at length, Joey. We better hurry before the old hags get here and trash the thread though. It's like two men standing in a room discussing an vital issue, and just when they're getting somewhere a bunch of old ladies kick the door down and start gossiping so loudy the windows crack)

November 7, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

...and as if your Boy Scouts of America and virtually every single organization that caters to just boys isn't having this same problem. Over 20,000,000 million dollars donated by US to give young men and boys some of the best experiences of their young lives has been spent paying out of court settlements to the parents of molested boys, for example. The Catholic Church is just the "poster child" representing a problem that runs deep in America. (I said my piece, Joey...and await your reply)

November 7, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip,
    Bonjour.
    You're going to agree with me partially. First, let me say again that I'm sorry you were molested by a priest.
    Now let's separate these issues.
    I omitted a word: "women." Allowing male RC priests to marry women would, in time, let the demographics of the Roman Church change to be made up primarily of straight, married men. The similar Anglican (Catholic) Communion is not known for child abuse.
    cont.

November 7, 2011 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I don't expect the Roman Church to openly embrace gay males or lesbians in the near future. I certainly don't expect the Pope to condone same-(you know) marriage for its priests soon, if ever, as they make too much money the way they've set it up.
    cont.

November 7, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip, cont.:
    Now this is where you and I may begin one of our calm sparring matches:
    You know that when they draft me as Pope (ha ha), I intend to allow the REMAINING gay priests, then in proportion to their minority portion of the secular society, to marry either (gay) lay servers or other priests.
    Then, after about thirty days, the nun bringing my breakfast will find me dead in bed, holding a prayer book.

November 7, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    Ho finito di parlare.
    Parla, ragazzo. (Your turn.)

November 7, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

...and let's all pretend like it's just these few men reported here by CNN that are involved with rayeping these youngsters for over 10 yrs., that just a few are involved in the cover-up, and that this same thing isn't going on virtually everywhere..in every religion, organization, school, etc. Sound good? It's like saying Bernie Madoff is the only guy scamming US. Our prisons should be filled with men who lust for younger men under the age of 18 by now.

November 7, 2011 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ I submit that you should factor into your calculations the degree to which society considers a gay adult male's molestation of, for example, a 14-year-old boy a more heinous crime than a straight adult male's molestation of a 14-year-old girl.
    Don't, please, tell me to research this. I don't trust statistics published in studies any more that I trust the FDA food pyramid, which is not at all. I can conduct a controlled study and manipulate its published findings to prove any fallacy that I want to support.

November 7, 2011 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    You know that you're still furious about the childhood molestation, don't you? That little boy who can never get out of you completely?
    I know that I am, about my abuse.
    I know that it makes my inner child feel worthless. Worse: deserving of death, and then eternal punishment in Hell's brimstone. That's what my little inner boy deserves, as mad as he is.
    So I take my anger and turn it to energy that benefits me. ME.
    I can't kill my Daddy–I wish I had.
    I can't put all the violently abusive and murderous parents in jail.
    But I can prove what my little boy inside me is really worth, show the world who he really is, and make him victorious.

November 7, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@Joey...let's not reduce this national problem to jus the one case of me. Get it? That's what the old hags here do. This problem is wayyyyy bigger than just me. this thread is about older men who lust for younger men under the age of 18. We have thousands of str8 men in prison for the statutory rayeping of girls under the age of 18. How many gay men are in prison for the satutory rayeping of of younger men under the age of 18?

November 7, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip, I always see clearly that you are focusing on something outside that is a bigger issue than anything inside you, and bigger than you can possibly change completely.
    I am not "attacking" (your word) you to submit for your consideration the possibility that you could change your REACTION to massive problems surrounding you, and make yourself infinitely happier.
    I don't ask that you accept what I just said as authoritative truth; I only ask that you consider–seriously consider–the possibility that it would be to your benefit to change your reactions rather than demanding that your surroundings change themselves.

November 7, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

PLEASE do not focus on me, Joey. ty........NYT reports that the Supreme Court has overturned the 17-yr. conviction of an gay man convicted for the statutory rayeping of an 14 yrs. old boy, remanding the case to lower courts in light of Lawrence v. Texas, the case that led to sodomy being legalized for consenting adults nationwide. Now, wait a minute. Young men under the age of 19 are by legal definition 'minors incaopable of giving consent' to an gay man who lusts for bungholes. Rather than arresting and charging these older gay men with statutory raype, these men are allowed to walk free because the religions and organizations they belong to pay out-if-court settlements to the young mans parents, who sign agreements whereby they are not allowed to speak of this in public ever again. Justce has been replaced with hush money. I say they should be tried for statutory raype. No?

November 7, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Medici

Sure they should be charged with stautory. If they can catch them. If the statute of limitations doesn't run out. Raype of a minor, male or female, should be prosectued. No doubt there. Those men are allowed to walk free because the laws were changed. Put the blame where it belongs: with the people who changed the law; primarily men. I agree with your point, but put the blame where it belongs. Instead of targeting gay men in gerneral, target gay pedophiles and the LAWMAKERS that allow this to happen. It's not the gay or straight population, it's the pedophiles that target kids.

November 7, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |